Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 09:59 PM

I prefer pre-purchasing tickets just so that I can skip the lines in the morning.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:57 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
I prefer pre-purchasing tickets just so that I can skip the lines in the morning.

^ this. While you are waiting in line someone else is buying up my aforementioned PSA

Seriously the line is an exercise in frustration. Painful. Buy in advance
Old 02-24-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
^ this. While you are waiting in line someone else is buying up my aforementioned PSA

Seriously the line is an exercise in frustration. Painful. Buy in advance
Thanks! I'm so looking forward to this. My wife can't understand my excitement!

I'm hoping Arundel has some seat bags on hand!
Old 02-24-2020, 03:55 PM
v a n i l l a

If work allows try to go on the Friday. It’s obvious but less crowded, more ability to speak with builders and the builders and reps are more energized. As the show goes on people naturally get tired.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:01 PM

I have never attended, even when it has been close by, as it seemed there is so much focus on paint and looks. I am driving at the track that weekend (higher priority than bikes these days), but I will try to swing by on Friday.

Jeff
Old 02-24-2020, 04:20 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
I have never attended, even when it has been close by, as it seemed there is so much focus on paint and looks. I am driving at the track that weekend (higher priority than bikes these days), but I will try to swing by on Friday. Jeff
I'd have to agree that the last time I went it felt like an art contest. And the time before it seemed like there were 20+ ti gravel bikes all the same but yet somehow different. But look beyond that. There's plenty to see,
Old 02-24-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
In previous posts I’ve articulated my perspectives on going to the show (4x attendee).

Consider this a PSA.

When the doors open go directly to paragon machine works and buy a titanium bottle opener. Next go to king cage and buy classic stainless iris stainless or classic titanium. Those cages are never cheaper than at the show.

Now embrace your inner ADD and start your wandering. By the end of the day my bet (over) on the over/under of laps is 4
I got to go with a buddy when the show came to Hartford a few years ago. King cage is a must go, for cages but also for the fabulous quirkiness of the booth. To add to the Paragon thought, the good friars at Abbey have wonderful swag as well as tools! Everyone seems to pull out the stops for their efforts. Those of you going to Dallas..... have a great time! (and share pictures, or you weren't there )
Old 02-24-2020, 07:38 PM

Missed only one NAHBS since Austin 2010.
Never spent more than 5 mins on line for a ticket.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
If work allows try to go on the Friday. It’s obvious but less crowded, more ability to speak with builders and the builders and reps are more energized. As the show goes on people naturally get tired.
I'm retired Army so yes - I'll be there on Friday. I've just dropped a deposit on a new Bishop, but I'm still looking forward to seeing everything and talking to the builders.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortx-Dave View Post
I'm retired Army so yes - I'll be there on Friday. I've just dropped a deposit on a new Bishop, but I'm still looking forward to seeing everything and talking to the builders.
Thanks for your service

-Retired USN
Old 02-25-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Thanks for your service

-Retired USN
Thank you too!

I spent 4 years in the Navy right out of college. I was a supply/disbursing officer on the USS Dale CG-19 out of Mayport FL.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:39 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
isn't this backwards? go to show then put down deposit? seriously, chris does beautiful work. you can get fabrication preference ideas and of course paint ideas while looking at other builders.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
isn't this backwards? go to show then put down deposit? seriously, chris does beautiful work. you can get fabrication preference ideas and of course paint ideas while looking at other builders.
It probably is backwards. But Bishop won't be at NAHBS 2020 and I've decided that he's building the sort of frame that will keep me happy for the "duration."

But then, I've lived a very sheltered existence with regard to bicycles - having never seen a Pegoretti, or No 22, or Tomii in person. I'm going to be the proverbial kid in a candy store!
Old 02-25-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
It probably is backwards. But Bishop won't be at NAHBS 2020 and I've decided that he's building the sort of frame that will keep me happy for the "duration."

But then, I've lived a very sheltered existence with regard to bicycles - having never seen a Pegoretti, or No 22, or Tomii in person. I'm going to be the proverbial kid in a candy store!
Rest assured Bishop is an excellent choice, you're not going to be second guessing yourself during the show for sure. Now that you've outed yourself, however, you will have to post pics and details when the time comes.

I've been to NAHBS three times and twice put a down payment on a custom with a builder I met there shortly thereafter. In both instances having something already in the queue would have likely saved me from making such rash decisions.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:12 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:

If you do not already have some ADD you will certainly succumb to some variant - it will take about 90 minutes and the wandering starts. If not for the show most people would not see these builders either. Around here, I would say the list of exotic bikes seen in the wild is smaller not larger. So you are not alone.