Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest
dave,

Ride report, please. (so to speak)

Big Willie,

You coming for Nottrott? I could see my way to putting the Fender with amp and the Guild steel string into the back of the team car, and wheeling them up to Smiley's . . .
I regret to report that I will not be able to make the Nottrott. I am planning on making the dbrk's Ramble in August though.

The Rambling Rumination Sessions

William
Old 05-08-2006, 03:52 PM
You still here?

Do you have feelings of inadequacy? Do you suffer from shyness? Do you sometimes wish you were more assertive? If you answered yes to any of these questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist about Tequila®.

Tequila® is the safe, natural way to feel better and more confident about yourself and your actions. Tequila® can help ease you out of your shyness and let you tell the world that you're ready and willing to do just about anything. You will notice the benefits of Tequila® almost immediately, and with a regimen of regular doses you can overcome any obstacles that prevent you from living the life you want to live. Shyness and awkwardness will be a thing of the past, and you will discover many talents you never knew you had. Stop hiding and start living, with Tequila®.

Tequila® may not be right for everyone. Women who are pregnant or nursing should not use Tequila®. However, women who wouldn't mind nursing or becoming pregnant are encouraged to try it. Side effects may include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, incarceration, erotic lustfulness, loss of motor control, loss of clothing, loss of money, loss of virginity, delusions of grandeur, table dancing, headache, dehydration, dry mouth, and a desire to sing Karaoke and play all-night rounds of Strip Poker, Truth Or Dare, and Naked Twister.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:53 PM
You still here?

Quote:
dave,

Ride report, please. (so to speak)
. . .
Coming right up!
Old 05-08-2006, 03:55 PM

In a previous life I was married to a restaurant reviewer who belonged to SCREW (Southern California Restaurant Writers). Well the Screwers and their Screwees were invited for a tour of Tijuana's best restaurants with tastings at each. One such place was very proud of their extensive collection of tequilas and the owner did his very best to see that I got to try his best.
As Brother Dave stated there are many widely varied flavors and textures and I could really tell the differences so I am convinced that one can be every bit as much an afficianado of them as single malts.

It must be a genetic thing though because as the kid of Scottish immigrants I like my whisky but I didn't care for ANY of the tequilas straight. Now get me going on good margaritas like last Friday night and I'm a happy boy!

So I say don't dismiss the entire agave genre before you try some of the "good stuff". You may be hooked liked Spokane Dave.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 05-08-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Nice.

So, I have to ask this:

Have any of you tried Sammy Hagar's Cabo Wabo Tequila? <wince>

http://www.cabowabo.com/cwt/index.php?

William
Old 05-08-2006, 04:06 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Nice.

So, I have to ask this:

Have any of you tried Sammy Hagar's Cabo Wabo Tequila? <wince>

http://www.cabowabo.com/cwt/index.php?

William
I would call the Cabo Wabo a pretty good medium quality Tequila. It's got a little too sharp a bite for my taste. I like 'em a little more earthy and pungent. Patron is good, Corazon is very good. I didn't care for the Herradura much.

If your liquor stores sell the little 'airline' bottles, that would be a good way to try a variety of Tequilas without investing major coin.

Now, if you want to talk about Cabo Wabo and Sammy Haggar, his Cabo Wabo restaurant is something else, a giant continous party!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:14 PM

Hey Dave,
Don't you ride a 60cm bike, too? I'm beginning to think we're a lot alike. You should be worried
Old 05-08-2006, 08:30 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Hey Dave,
Don't you ride a 60cm bike, too? I'm beginning to think we're a lot alike. You should be worried
That is a scary thought!

I am in the process of having some Tres Generaciones so I can give a ride report.....soon.......
Old 05-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Steel..what else??

Sauza...works for me............
Old 05-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Hook Em Horns

First off, the plant it comes from is the Agave plant. It's only grown in a certain reigon in Mexico. It's then redistributed in the US through American companies, which certainly puts a dent in the mexican's earnings through American marketing largesse. (the trade agreement to allow Mexican brands to distribute their own wares in the US was shot down).

So moving right along, the Mexicans do retain control of the growing and blending of said product. Now, the product need only contain 51% actual product from the Agave plant to be called tequila. So your cheap tequilas (including most lower end Cuervos and Sauza's), are actually a mixture of 51% agave liquor and 49% rotgut sugar alcohol, basically rum but more crude. It's like the mystery meat in hot dogs. If you drank this type of cheap stuff and now don't like tequila, well, I am not surprised.

The good stuff, whether in silver or gold, is 100% agave, and preferably 100% blue agave. You usually won't find this in the US at pricepoints below $40. Unfortunately. Usually when a good tasting tequila comes out in the $25-$35 range, it's soon found out and jacked up above $40. Sigh. Corazon is one example of this, I bought a bottle when it was cheap and now it costs $55. Sigh x2.

My personal favorites are (well, as far as widely available brands go)
Sotul gold
Patron Silver

I know a girl who's dad is in the mexican senate and is a big tequila producer. They don't import to the US, but their stuff is fantastic.

And no, Patron Silver DOES NOT TASTE LIKE GASOLINE, RayH. Them's fighting words. Good thing you ride a Rivendell, otherwise I might have to send you a computer virus or something.
"The first truth is that the liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in essence, is fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling power."

Last edited by Brons2; 05-08-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Hook Em Horns

I deleted my comment in my last post about you northern guys not knowing jack about tequila. good discussion.

need one of these smileyes with shot glasses:
"The first truth is that the liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in essence, is fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling power."
Old 05-08-2006, 10:14 PM

Patron Añejo

Pick up a bottle of Patron Añejo. Enjoy it served in a snifter so that its aroma is fully appreciated. Forget the lime and salt BS, that’s only for the inferior tequilas. 100% Blue Agave is a must.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:46 PM

Don Julio 1942 as good as the finist cognacs. Priced around $120 a bottle

Jack
Old 05-08-2006, 10:53 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Brunk
Don Julio 1942 as good as the finist cognacs. Priced around $120 a bottle

Jack
I brought back a bottle of the 1942 from Cabo last year. Very smooth and velvety. My wife liked it a lot and she's not a drinker of straight liquors.
Attached Images
File Type: gif don julio.gif (15.9 KB, 399 views)

Last edited by dave thompson; 05-08-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brons2
And no, Patron Silver DOES NOT TASTE LIKE GASOLINE, RayH. Them's fighting words. Good thing you ride a Rivendell, otherwise I might have to send you a computer virus or something.
Hey Jim - Ray S, but close enough. I grew up in Arizona but I clearly know very little about tequila. The only whites I'd ever had were terrible, but I've never had the really good stuff. When I was drinking tequila on a somewhat regular basis, it wasn't about being refined, it was about being re-defined. Or something. Mescal and 1800 were about as classy as I ever got. Instead of a computer virus, send me a small bottle of something good for my continuing adult education and I'll call it even

-Ray