Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Administrator

OT: Good Tequila...an oxymoron? (No, try the good stuff)

Well,

Since a thread about Scotch has been started, I thought I would start one about Tequila. What is it about Tequila that people go ga ga over? I think I'd rather do a shot of Drano over what I remember a shot of Tequila tasting like. During my drinking days, a shot of 151...no problem. Tequila? make me want to wretch. Maybe I just tried a particularly bad brand (I don't remember what it was)? Yet a lot of people talk about it like it's a wonder drug. Even the last time I was in a packy, the 50+ year old cashier, a women trying to dress like she was 18 with the black chocker, tight jeans, studded black belt, black 80's hair band do, was wearing a white Cuervo T-shirt that was way to small and showing a midriff with belly piercing that no customer should be forced to look at.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT TEQUILA?

Are there any good tasting brands out there?

William

Last edited by William; 02-26-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Well,

Since a thread about Scotch has been started, I thought I would start one about Tequila. What is it about Tequila that people go ga ga over? I think I'd rather do a shot of Drano over what I remember a shot of Tequila tasting like. During my drinking days, a shot of 151...no problem. Tequila? make me want to wretch. Maybe I just tried a particularly bad brand (I don't remember what it was)? Yet a lot of people talk about it like it's a wonder drug. Even the last time I was in a packy, the 50+ year old cashier, a women trying to dress like she was 18 with the black chocker, tight jeans, studded black belt, black 80's hair band do, was wearing a white Cuervo T-shirt that was way to small and showing a midriff with belly piercing that no customer should be forced to look at.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT TEQUILA?

Are there any good tasting brands out there?

William
The thing about tequila is its the only 'psychodelic' form of alchahol - comes from the cactus doncha know? I'm not a big drinker, never have been, but when it comes time to throw something back, I'm a tequila guy. I've been hellaciously drunk on tequila probably 6-8 times in my life and pleasantly so many others and I've had exactly one hangover from it (you don't want to hear about that night). This is a good thing. It's also a different kind of a drunk. I can't begin to describe the differences, but I know 'em when I feel 'em. I hate getting buzzed on anything else (beer is ok if I'm dancing), but tequila is ok with me.

In terms of the taste, yeah some is better than others. You should be able to see the stuff. White tequila is basically gasoline, but a good gold is pretty palatable. I grew up on Cuervo gold, 1800, and a couple others. But tequila is not a drink to be sipped, on the rocks, like scotch. It's there to be shot and the taste is secondary to how smoothly it slides down your throat. And even the smoothest tequilas need to be chased with either a beer or the old salt and lime trick.

My last good tequila drunk was last Christmas morning (about 10am) with my wife, my 18 year old daughter (we were in Mexico, so she was legal - a bit of a trip getting slightly ripped with your little baby girl), my 70 year old mother-in-law, and a couple of couples we met at the bar. Good clean fun!

-Ray
Old 05-08-2006, 06:32 AM
ergottWheels

One bad experience with tequila. I'll never drink the stuff again.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:48 AM

In my younger days, we would drink Mezcel (spelling?) and fight over who would get to eat the worm. Now, just writing this grosses me out.
Jeff
Old 05-08-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierteTi52
In my younger days, we would drink Mezcel (spelling?) and fight over who would get to eat the worm. Now, just writing this grosses me out.
Jeff
Mescal - good stuff. The worm is gross, but God lives there and if you have the wherewithall to eat it, you might just SEE God.

-Ray
Old 05-08-2006, 07:57 AM

Herra-Dura Silver-- can be sipped straight up!
Don Julio if you like the colored stuff

Last edited by nicrump; 05-08-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 AM
You still here?

Ah Tequila, nectar of the Gods! As with anything else, there's good and there's bad. What makes good Tequila good, is how it's made, what it's made of and what the Tequila drinker appreciates in his tastes of Tequila. Great Tequila is, IMO, more like great Scotch, in that there are many subtleties to appreciate between the makers.

ATMO Tequila is not to be slugged back with a lick of salt! I prefer to sip my Tequila neat from an Old-Fashioned glass or even a mid-sized wine glass. The aroma of a good Tequila is wonderful!

A word of caution about Tequila: any Tequila must contain at least 51% juices of the Blue Agave plant. Cheap Tequilas have just that, along other ingredients (coloring, other types of grain alcohols, etc) while the better Tequilas will contain 100% Blue Agave and so state on their labels.

There are three types of Tequilas. Blanco (Silver), which is bottled immediately after distillation, has the most pure and robust Tequila flavor, but it can be pretty rough on new drinkers. Reposado (reposed or laid down) has been aged in casks for up to a year. Aņejo has been aged in casks a year or more and is the smoothest and most mild of the Tequilas, and the most expensive. Often the casks have been used in the aging of other alcohols previously (Sherry for instance) and will impart a subtle flavor hint to the Tequila.

A great website to learn about Tequila is here: http://www.itequila.org/

http://www.headwindow.com/tequila/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-ancestra-blanco_4255_r2.jpg (10.4 KB, 1644 views)
File Type: jpg mini-ancestra rep.jpg (13.9 KB, 1640 views)
File Type: jpg mini-ancestra_0824_r2.jpg (12.5 KB, 1634 views)

Last edited by dave thompson; 05-08-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:05 PM

What Dave T. said. Also, I think bad tequila can be worse than say, bad gin or bad bourbon. If it doesn't say "100% agave", its definately not worth trying. Start with something like Patron, you can find it anywhere, and sip it neat. Its a completely different animal from 'bad tequila'.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Dr. Doofus

what has been said

must be 100% agave

there is a lot of regional variety -- and some agave liquors that are remarkable

eat the worm -- everyone should do it once
Old 05-08-2006, 01:13 PM

Tequila definitely can be sipped.
100% blue agave, clearly.
William, come to the house and we'll give you a sampling.

Listen to what Mr. Thompson has said. Of those listed, Patron is good, but trying the silver versus the anejo is an interesting comparison. Sauza Tres Generaciones (not any other labeling of Sauza) is the cheapest good stuff, if you know what I mean. Sort of the Shimano 105 of tequila.

CENAM (el Centro Nacional de Metrologia) the Mexican metrology laboratory (the equivalent of NIST here in the US) has an entire wing devoted to the measurement of the purity of tequila. My dad, bless his little heart, did a lot of collaborative work with CENAM and I was a lucky beneficiary of the research. Alas, there has been a shortage of agave in recent years and the prices for the good stuff have really skyrocketed.

Some of my happiest (partial) memories were hanging out with dad in Queretaro (where CENAM is, in central/northern Mexico) in '95, just after one of the peso crashes and driking some of the best stuff for a couple bucks a shot.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson

LOL!

Thank you for the advice folks. I think the stuff I tried was 51% Agave and 49% gasoline. I picked up my wife some Cuervo Especial the other night for Daiquiris. That's what got me thinking about the TQ.

Fly, we can do some pickin while sipping some Tequila, then knocking out some good java after a full night jam.

William
Old 05-08-2006, 03:42 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest
Tequila definitely can be sipped.
100% blue agave, clearly.
<snip>.... Sauza Tres Generaciones (not any other labeling of Sauza) is the cheapest good stuff, if you know what I mean. Sort of the Shimano 105 of tequila.
I just bought a bottle of the Tres Generaciones (Plata) before I read your post. Have to test it you know.

The pics in my previous post were of the Ancestra Tequilas, which apparently are not available in the U.S. I bought a bottle of the blanco in the 'Museo del Tequila' in Cabo San Lucas. Ancestra is absolutely the very best Tequila that I've ever had! I just wish that it were available here. The bright side, I suppose, is that I have to go to Cabo to get it! (dang, I hate it when that happens)
Old 05-08-2006, 03:45 PM

dave,

Ride report, please. (so to speak)

Big Willie,

You coming for Nottrott? I could see my way to putting the Fender with amp and the Guild steel string into the back of the team car, and wheeling them up to Smiley's . . .
Old 05-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson
I just bought a bottle of the Tres Generaciones (Plata) before I read your post. Have to test it you know.

The pics in my previous post were of the Ancestra Tequilas, which apparently are not available in the U.S. I bought a bottle of the blanco in the 'Museo del Tequila' in Cabo San Lucas. Ancestra is absolutely the very best Tequila that I've ever had! I just wish that it were available here. The bright side, I suppose, is that I have to go to Cabo to get it! (dang, I hate it when that happens)
I'll pay you to pick one up for me next time you go....might as well try the best right off huh. Come to think of it, going to Cabo to pick it up myself might....hmmm, must....sell ...to ....Mrs William.....

William
Old 05-08-2006, 03:49 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
LOL!

Thank you for the advice folks. I think the stuff I tried was 51% Agave and 49% gasoline. I picked up my wife some Cuervo Especial the other night for Daiquiris. That's what got me thinking about the TQ.

Fly, we can do some pickin while sipping some Tequila, then knocking out some good java after a full night jam.

William
Anything Cuervo and most anything Sauza are suitable for Margaritas, Sangrias and other mixed drinks only. A good bottle of Tequila, like a good bottle of Scotch won't be cheap and generally will start around $40.00.

A good way to start appreciating good Tequila is to pour a shot (or two) into a white wine glass, swirl the glass, put your nose into the glass to appreciate the bouquet and sip.

Riedel now even has Tequila glasses that enhance the Tequila drinking experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riedel.jpg (6.7 KB, 1562 views)