Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2020, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
It’s been a great thread, informative, exploratory, educational and revealing. It gave me great excuses for multiple Tequila tasting trips to Mexico.
Next trip I will pay you handsomely to bring back a bottle or two of Ancestra. Otherwise....bite me.

W.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:24 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Next trip I will pay you handsomely to bring back a bottle or two of Ancestra. Otherwise....bite me.

W.
Available here: https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/a...&currencyCode= here: https://craftshack.com/products/ancestra-tequila-blanco here: https://www.missionliquor.com/produc...-suave-750ml-1
Here: https://www.lovescotch.com/p/ancestra-blanco-tequila

You can thank me later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ADC94459-7B99-471E-A9E1-2353AB40463A.jpeg (138.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 02-26-2020, 08:48 PM

Any Mexican@s, Chican@s or Latinx folks chimed in on this thread?? The title bugs me. Have we rectified this yet? I don't want to read through 5 pages unless there's something calling out the oxymoron comment.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:15 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjosh View Post
Any Mexican@s, Chican@s or Latinx folks chimed in on this thread?? The title bugs me. Have we rectified this yet? I don't want to read through 5 pages unless there's something calling out the oxymoron comment.
The title of this thread was legit. Lots of folks get their first taste Tequila drinking the cheap swill legally labeled as Tequila but not a product that’s good. The cheap stuff often has a high alcohol content, is harsh and produces bad results.

This thread evolved from the ‘oxymoron’ question to a discussion of Tequila, how to appreciate it, drink it and brand appreciation and recommendations.

One doesn’t have to be Mexican to like Tequila, I’m a gringo and have been drinking Tequila for many years. I’ve lived in Mexico and had great pleasures looking for the “best”. Many of my Mexican friends don’t care for Tequila.

Read the thread, it’s a good one that’s gone on for years.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Thank you so much señor Thompson!

W.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Why am I reviving a sleeping thread?

Two words…

Sparkle Donkey!

W.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Two words…

Sparkle Donkey!

W.
Which one? Blanco, Reposado or Anejo?
Old 11-18-2023, 07:56 PM

It's so weird to read something you wrote 12 years ago. Anyhoo just so happens I had a shot of Lunazul's Anejo well aged stuff tonight. I think I like their regular offering better. Overall it's a good tequila for the cost.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:23 PM

There are so many new designer tequilas available now.

This is a good resource, and I’m glad that it’s active again. I came across the thread just after sitting down with a snifter of Lalo Blanco. There was someone dispensing samples at the local liquor warehouse, and it was reasonably priced for good tequila and is really nice. Notes of cinnamon and vanilla.

https://www.thirtyonewhiskey.com/rev...lanco-tequila/.

Recommend.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:18 PM

Lalo is good: on the edge of sip or marg. On any tequila, look at the distillery (NOM) and make sure there are zero additives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
This is a good resource, and I’m glad that it’s active again. I came across the thread just after sitting down with a snifter of Lalo Blanco. There was someone dispensing samples at the local liquor warehouse, and it was reasonably priced for good tequila and is really nice. Notes of cinnamon and vanilla.

https://www.thirtyonewhiskey.com/rev...lanco-tequila/.

Recommend.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
It's so weird to read something you wrote 12 years ago. Anyhoo just so happens I had a shot of Lunazul's Anejo well aged stuff tonight. I think I like their regular offering better. Overall it's a good tequila for the cost.
Hahah - I love it (even the blanco) and it is very inexpensive.

I recently had a margarita in an "upscale" restaurant in Newport - Their selling pitch was that they used Lunazul - charged 12 bucks. I have purchased an entire bottle for 20. But regardless of the price, it is a very nice sipping tequila.

Different category - I like Revolucion Anejo.
And, as I probably stated somewhere way back in this thread -Cava de Oro Extra Anejo is sooooo tasty - but not inexpensive!
Old 11-18-2023, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post
Lalo is good: on the edge of sip or marg. On any tequila, look at the distillery (NOM) and make sure there are zero additives.
Agree. That’s why I thought I’d try it.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_bacon View Post
Sitting on the shelf not doing a thing. Clase Azul Reposado
Apparently he friend that gave it to me is saving his bottle of Ultra for his wedding day. Thing is freakin huge it's quite a sight.

and I quote..."Quite literally in a league of its own, Clase Azul Ultra is the world's most luxurious tequila. The exclusive Clase Azul offering is only produced in numbered batches of 100 bottles, which are quickly purchased by collectors. Each bottle contains tequila that is aged for five years in previously used sherry wood casks from Spain which gives Clase Azul Ultra its unique refined character. The decanter used for Ultra is a striking work of art, hand painted with platinum and features a silver agave medallion and label applied using 24-karat gold."
Our local LCBO just brought in a bottle of the Azul on the left and it is priced at $300 and normally our LCBO doesnt bring in anything like this as we have no cabinet to lock it up and they keep it on the shelf which they also dont typically do. They put the empty boxes on the shelf only as a rule but I have been ordering different tequila's online sent to this store for a couple years now and they bring the Azul in which is a little on the rich side for me. I have ordered the Grand Mayan and Tequillina in the past through this store though. Right now I am drinking Don Julio Reposado and I like it.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:07 AM

I have become a fan of Hornitos Black Barrel, a 100% Agave, 40% ABV aged in oak barrels. Funny story - a local liquor store has 750ml bottles for $32.99 or 375ml bottles for $13.99 . They asked why I buy the smaller bottles, I just say they fit the cabinet better.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:34 AM

I miss exploring new tequilas, mezcals and sotol. Hopefully dr gives me go ahead to be allowed the odd drink soon

I wish the lcbo would take more chances on fun weird ones. It seems stuck on patron, don Julio and recently Azul. From this thread and visits to licquor stores on the US there are so many to try.