Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Medaglia D'oro espresso instant. It has been very popular with backpackers for years but judging from this thread isn't well known in the cycling community. Krogers affiliated stores carry the small containers but it sells out quickly in areas catering to outdoor adventurers.

https://www.kingsoopers.com/p/medagl...MaAoz0EALw_wcB
But does it taste ok?
Old 02-25-2020, 12:16 PM

Everyone who has tried it on our trips, multiday backcountry rides, like it better than Via.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:40 PM
Administrator

this is pricey:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but it looks like a good combo. grinder/pour over reusable thing and mug all in one compact package.

interesting

Old 02-25-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Everyone who has tried it on our trips, multiday backcountry rides, like it better than Via.
It's my bikepacking go-to. I measure out as many teaspoons as I will need for the trip. Space is at a premium when on a multi-day ride. I'd love to do fresh grind and aeropress, but that's just additional volume and weight.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
It's my bikepacking go-to. I measure out as many teaspoons as I will need for the trip. Space is at a premium when on a multi-day ride. I'd love to do fresh grind and aeropress, but that's just additional volume and weight.
+1 A lot of the setups that have been suggested here are great for a day ride, overnighter, or possibly a weekend but for multiday backcountry trips they definitely take up too much room. Example: A Jetboil uses the same amount of space as three days of food in a frame pack.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
+1 A lot of the setups that have been suggested here are great for a day ride, overnighter, or possibly a weekend but for multiday backcountry trips they definitely take up too much room. Example: A Jetboil uses the same amount of space as three days of food in a frame pack.
I've come back to using the Esbit stove and pellets for minimalist setup. I only ever have to boil water so is fine. The next step up is trangia, though the liquid fuel is heavy and a hassle.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
this is pricey:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but it looks like a good combo. grinder/pour over reusable thing and mug all in one compact package.

interesting

My experience with hand grinders is that it takes a long time to grind enough beans for a good cup of coffee. Think mini hand pump and TWO flat tires.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummus_aquinas View Post

Love the gory arm detail. Must keep the truck safe when you’re out on a day hike / ride... LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2020, 08:19 PM

Any fans of the Minipresso? I just got one for Xmas and seems like a good candidate for this use. Uses Nespresso capsules...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2020, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
When doing multi-day bikepacks I still bring the aeropress, but not the hand-grinder. Grind at home and pack in a reusable baggy. The aeropress actually doesn't take up much room, since the inside is hollow. It nicely fits a pair of socks (inside the top-compartment recess, so not a place that ever contacts coffee) or 5 days worth of ground coffee (and then a pair of socks at day 3-4 when the grounds have dwindled). The other stuff (smal pot and a stove) are not coffee-only, so I don't think of them as wasted space. I use the same pot to boil coffee water as I do to make campsite rice (and to eat said rice).
Old 02-26-2020, 06:18 AM

Anybody else do cowboy coffee? It's become my go-to for backpacking. It's not always good, but it's usually strong. I'm able to get most of the grounds to settle by adding a few tablespoons of cold water once it's done brewing. Mustache/front teeth to filter out the rest :^{)
Old 02-26-2020, 08:40 PM

Jetboil + aeropress or kalita wave 155 (the small version). The kalita is very small and comes in a metal version. If you're brewing 2 cups at a time it'll be too small, but I suppose the aeropress has the same problem.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:40 PM
Administrator

i think i have nailed my minimalist set-up now.

aeropress, a single mug to boil water in and drink out of, and a small alcohol stove.

the only trick is that you have to brew in the aeropress "inverted" which is no big deal.

The whole kit:

unpacked:

on the boil...

delicious finish

Old 04-15-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i think i have nailed my minimalist set-up now.

aeropress, a single mug to boil water in and drink out of, and a small alcohol stove.

the only trick is that you have to brew in the aeropress "inverted" which is no big deal.

The whole kit:

unpacked:

on the boil...

delicious finish

Super clean! I'm digging it

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2020, 09:14 AM

Just returned from backcountry camping and snapped a picture of the setup I've arrived at after many different approaches. This is for truck camping –– when I'm backpacking I simply use a collapsible pour over with pre-ground beans.

Biggest deal here is I started bringing a spare digital scale (and rechargeable batteries) I had leftover from an old desk gig. The Cook Partner stove and mini 5lb. propane tank were huge game changers for my entire kitchen setup. And after 15+ years of service, my REI aluminum camp table is probably next to be replaced. Oh yeah, also love that Esbit kettle. It's my favorite camping / backpacking kettle I've used over the years.