Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 10:45 AM
#RYFB

*** Cancelled *** Paging SoCal riders: March 28 Big Tujunga

(Mods: feel free to move to the Rides… forum, posting here because I think folks are more likely to see it.
Updated title for this month's ride.)

A friend does a monthly RCC recruitment ride the last Saturday of each month, and since he's laid up after a bad crash I am stepping in to host on his behalf. Don't be put off by the ride name, no one is going to give you a RCC timeshare pitch, it's just a casual group ride for anyone, Rapha lovers and haters, all are welcome.

We meet at the Albertsons, 6240 Foothill Blvd. (across from the In 'n Out) at 7:45 and plan to roll at 8 (tardy riders often thwart those plans). The planned route is just 35 miles: along Foothill, cut over on Mt. Gleason Rd to Big Tujunga, right on Angeles Forest Highway to Clear Creek, down Angeles Crest Highway and back on Foothill. Some folks stop for coffee and a nosh at Tickle Tree Cafe on the way back to Albertsons.

It's billed as an intermediate ride but we get a mix of abilities; we regroup at the top of the Big T climb (at AFH) and again after the ACH descent. There is usually a subgroup that will tack on extra credit miles, some mix of Upper Big Tujunga, Mt. Gleason, and/or Mt. Wilson or Disappointment (I am usually the instigator of that).

If you're interested in joining just post here or DM me with any questions. Of course you can just show up but I'd appreciate knowing in advance so that I don't roll the group out while someone's racing to get there.

It's always great to put a face to a Paceline handle, so I look forward to meeting some new folk.

Last edited by cgolvin; 03-16-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:01 AM

Nice!
I've yet to do Big Tujunga so this'll be fun.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:13 AM
#RYFB

Excellent!
Here's the route just in case you want to have it for now or later: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32004880
Old 02-26-2020, 01:28 PM
#RYFB

Bump because I'd like to meet more local Paceliners.
Come on out and join us if you can.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:48 PM

Looks like an effin' awesome ride. Unfortunately, looks like way too much climbing for an old wuss like me limited to a 39 x 27. (Haven't jumped on the compact bandwagon yet, and Campy doesn't offer crazy huge cogs for 10-speed systems.)

Hope you have a great ride.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:40 AM

Big T is my summertime after work ride. get it in before the sun drops. The perfect mix of rollers, sustained climbing and a fast descent home to a beer.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:32 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
Big T is my summertime after work ride. get it in before the sun drops. The perfect mix of rollers, sustained climbing and a fast descent home to a beer.
That's a great route to have in your back yard. I'm actually more partial to Little T up to Camp 9 even though it's an out-and-back, but Big T offers more variation when it comes to extending the ride.

We do this on the last Saturday of every month so maybe you can join another time if you're interested.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:46 PM
#RYFB

Updated title to reflect the March ride -- I got to meet @soupless last time, who reminded me that I had provided him some routes in an earlier forum exchange.

Hope to meet someone new this time. We always have fewer than 250 people so no fears of Covid-19 based cancellation (I hope).
Old 03-12-2020, 05:52 PM
Administrator

damnit damnit damnit

i would have been in town for this had corona not grounded me.

have fun!
Old 03-12-2020, 06:01 PM
#RYFB

damnit x3 from me as well, Nick…one of these days

Just for fun, here's my February ride, shows you what some of the add-on can look like. In this case, part of that was the out-and-back on the closed road that climbs to the top of Mt. Disappointment:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3142917664
Old 03-16-2020, 01:04 PM
#RYFB

Not worthy of addition to the 'cancelled events' thread, but we've been asked to cancel group rides through the end of April.

I hope I can update this thread for a May ride.