Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 04:07 PM

Some other con attendance advice, because this is just one big convention like any other:

-- If you can sneak out for lunch at 11:30, do it. Have an idea where to go in advance and get there. Expect a crush if you hit up the one nearby sandwich place at noon.

-- Friday is the day to get in real conversations, per pdmtong's point. Also the day to get the best merch, cuz it'll be sold out by Saturday afternoon.

-- Saturday is the day to wander and hit up the lesser known guys in the lighter-trafficked areas.

-- Shoes with good arch support. Your legs and back will thank you later.

-- If you must bring a backpack, make it a slim one. Last thing you need is slapping people with the thing in a crowded aisle.

-- Bring cash. Cards are a luxury with spotty convention center internet connections.

-- Bring a squad. Conventions are always more fun with a squad, but don't be afraid to split up and do your own thing if the urge strikes.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:05 PM
v a n i l l a

from my 2019 NAHBS notes...echo to Flash

Now that NAHBS is almost upon us, perhaps I (and others) who have attended before can offer our helpful hints. This will be my 4th (SJ #3, Sacto, Sacto, Sacto)

* Buy your pass in advance. There is nothing more frustrating them standing in a line that is not moving as people are queuing to buy their passes in person.

* Wear comfortable clothes. Yes duh, but ... it's a convention hall trade show and who knows if the AC or heater is cranked.

* Bring a backpack or carry bag. There will be free stuff and schwag for sale.

* Bring cash and small bills. I'd say $100 should do it but $200 if you plan to go pint glass and tee shirt crazy. Most folks are NOT set up to take a CC swipe.

* Bring water and some clif bars (or similar). I paid $6 for convention hall hot dog once. ONCE.

* Forget the camera. Your phone is good enough when you run into Gary Fisher or Tom Ritchey. Plenty of others post their pics. See the show with your eyes instead of through a lens.

* Write down some of the booths you *must see*. There is nothing worse than going home and seeing in the brochure that xyz was there and you never saw them/him/her.

* Note if others are waiting to speak to who you are speaking to. Another duh, but I cannot tell you how many times it;'s clear the person speaking is just rambling and there;'s a handful of us waiting for our turn.

* King cages. If you like King cages, they will never be cheaper than at the show.

* Single malt with Don Walker. I bought my glass, we slammed our shots. It was great.

* Direct line to industry folks. Like at sea otter, every year it occurs to me to ask some questions and get answers straight from the horses mouth.

* Fight against your OCD and have a plan. The year ATMO was there I went to speak to him first as I knew the day would get crazy. Same with any builder you might commission. After that will you walk the floor CW or CCW? I know personally by the time I've done two laps my mind is blown. Once you find yourself wandering mindlessly, it's time to sit down or leave.

There's going to be plenty of surprises and insights learned. Pretty easy to spend the whole day.

These notes may work for you or you may think they suck. But if you have zero opinion, you now have a place to start.

Schwag over the years
- wool jersey
- tee shirts
- socks
- pint glasses
- bottle openers
- stickers
- lubrication
- key chains
- spurcycle bells
- King cages
- musettes
- zip locs for phone
- NAHBS branded schwag

Recommendation is if you see something you like, buy it then. stuff sells out and that's it.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:10 PM

Well...I for one thank everyone for their insight and tips. I've been to professional conventions in the past, but this will be my very first NAHBS, and I'm beyond stoked!
Old 02-25-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortx-Dave View Post
Well...I for one thank everyone for their insight and tips. I've been to professional conventions in the past, but this will be my very first NAHBS, and I'm beyond stoked!
Real talk, it's a comic book convention for bike geeks. Expect those around you to not have the same social skills otherwise normal people might have.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:11 PM

I'm flying in from Atlanta for Friday and a few hours on Saturday.

Looking forward to some hang with Weisan and meeting some of you other guys.
Too bad we don't have name tags with the screen names from here. I've been to other events where I missed people that I had interacted with for years because I didn't know their real names or what they looked like. ??

In the meantime, we're having the second wettest Spring since 1961 here in the Atlanta area...my riding has been very minimal this year.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:16 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Real talk, it's a comic book convention for bike geeks. Expect those around you to not have the same social skills otherwise normal people might have.
Touche' ...
What's normal? Every group has weirdos and the exemplary.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:23 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
Looking forward to some hang with Weisan...
me too, hawker pal.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:15 AM

I looked at getting tickets last night but is says ticket sales are closed. Does that mean it’s already sold out?
Old 03-02-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msplette View Post
I looked at getting tickets last night but is says ticket sales are closed. Does that mean it’s already sold out?
Extremely unlikely.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:13 AM
il Curmudgeoni

I agree with most of the advice given, though I'd say bring a camera....you never know who or what you might see and you may want a good pic.

Also, be aware that some events may be happening outside of the convention. When I went to Denver there was a small gathering of exhibitors in a nearby hotel. The shirt was purchased from Bruce Gordon, who was at that hotel but not at the show itself.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:25 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:

I doubt it. It probably is shut down so the advance pass purchases can process with enough time (print your badge etc)
Old 03-02-2020, 11:39 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
When NAHBS was in Richmond, there was a comic book convention at the same facility at the same time.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
maybe the organizers are pausing to see what's what re coronavirus
Old 03-02-2020, 12:23 PM

KBHCC is one of the biggest conventions centers in the nation...it won't sell out.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst72 View Post
KBHCC is one of the biggest conventions centers in the nation...it won't sell out.
True, but NAHBS only rented a portion.