Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2020, 08:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
What's a jet doing at 500 ft. above residential areas, nowhere near an airport? Is there a minimum altitude?

I don't think people are aware of the safety precautions taken at an R/C club field, particularly with powered planes. You have a designated flying space not above people, a limited number of planes in the air (typically 4?), strict procedures when taking off and landing, etc. Then, you have some idiot drone pilot flying their thing in park above hundreds of people. Doesn't make sense.

I seriously doubt longtime pilots will adhere to any of these new rules. They are not the problem. Besides, anybody who actually wants to do real harm (i.e. the people these rules are targeted for) will totally disregard any of these new rules. It's just stupid, total fear mongering.
Minimum over residential areas is 1000 ft AGL, UNLESS you are landing or taking off...of course. MANY drones can go up to 1000ft+. Minimum altitude when I was flying was the ground, away from populated areas..but ya know, some dimbulb can drive out and be under a 'sand blower route(low level military route) and fly a drone...

Drones are the issue, not R/C aircraft but unfortunately, they have been lumped together.

So, the answer is to do nothing?? Just asking..
Old 02-26-2020, 09:38 AM

We have a drone (real estate use) and my wife is faa licensed. We spoke to NCDOT officials regarding all manner of drone applications 2 years ago. Delivery is the big app.

Short answer.

The most challenging issue I see is geofencing and communications between drones. Order is needed if thousands of drones are flying around delivering medical supplies etc. The drone industry (pretty sizeable in North Carolina) is very active and is lobbying the faa to tighten regulations.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
So, the answer is to do nothing?? Just asking..
I think a good place to start is to regulate just FPV aircraft because they are where the danger is. One the issues is that 99.99% of the general public is totally uninformed about this subject, congress included. They just think drone = dangerous without any consideration of the hobbyist that just wants to go fly their aircraft. "I don't care" is generally the response which is pretty ignorant.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
We have a drone (real estate use) and my wife is faa licensed.
I'm curious, is your use FPV? That is, are you piloting your drone using the video image sent by the drone?
Old 02-26-2020, 11:56 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I am going for my commercial [Part107] drone ticket now.

The commercial drone I have access to and I assume all have transponder awareness. Admit I am new to this, and have not flown fixed sine 2003.

My first flight I got a transponder alert as a private jet went by.
Knowing the jet is @ 2500 AGL and I was following a 400' max altitude where I was. OK, I heard it before the transponder alert popped up actually.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
I'm curious, is your use FPV? That is, are you piloting your drone using the video image sent by the drone?
Line of sight.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:18 PM

I mainly fly radio controlled sailplanes. No motors or engine, with 12-14 ft wingspan that weigh less than 5 lbs.
https://www.soaringusa.com/Xplorer-2...?category_id=4

Mostly, we launch from a winch that carries our sailplanes easily to more than 400' (the proposed altitude limit). With good launch technique and using the potential energy and trading it for kinetic energy in the release/zoom portion, we can easily obtain 700+ ft of altitude. That altitude is needed to search for rising air/thermals. Thermals provide lift and increase flight time by increasing altitude. I've easily reached over 2,000 ft in altitude.

Yes, it is not a big hobby...but I enjoy it as much as cycling but more and more people get hooked on their phones or computers and are unwilling to step outside their house and ride bikes or fly models.

So big companies are jumping in, buying out the FAA and steamrolling anything in their path including us hobbyists in the model aviation community. The ironic thing is these companies are destroying the same model aviation community that created and developed remote piloting and drone tech.