Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 11:33 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Why I'm going back to rim brakes for road.....

moving this out of a classified discussion, per Josh's suggestion, wherein I was asked the above question and I responded:

1. I think discs are overkill for road riding and tires up to 32mm because:

2. As someone who switches around wheelsets, they are a PITA, unless you spend a bunch of time carefully shimming wheels so that each set works without having to realign the calipers, and even then ....

3. the noise, the grinding of road grit, the occasional sqawking, the inevitable pinging when the rotors get hot descending...

4. the additional complexity - bleeding, cable routing, careful how you position the bike when storing or transporting less gravity screws with the hydro fluid and you find yourself squeezing the levers to the bars and then having to (at best) stand there pumping the levers until pressure comes back...

5. the gargantuan, bulbous and to me, uncomfortable, hoods necessary to accomodate the hydraulic elements...

6. the necessarily overbuilt, overstiff forks to withstand the braking forces...

7. the added weight ....

8. most importantly I don't need them to stop and I'm a big rider at 215 +/- and have plenty of steep hills (note: the coated rims like HED Black are phenomenal)

Now despite this I will still have a couple as they are great if...

1. you want to use both 650b and 700c wheels on the same bike...

2. you need alot of clearance for really wide tires - so decent application for 'gravel bikes' and if you want....

3. you can mitigate some of the annoying characteristics by using mech discs like Paul's Klampers and the new Growtac (to be tested soon - we'll see) or even TRP Spyres.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:36 AM

well stated
Old 11-19-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
well stated

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2022, 11:50 AM

Agreed. I got two rim brake bikes setup this year and have loved the lack of maintenance, low weight, and low hassle factor when things go out of adjustment. Textured brake tracks are really, really great.

For aggressively riding hilly, steep terrain, especially where there are idiot drivers involved and blind drive ways, I still like my disc road bike.

Road discs in 10 years I think will be much better. Hopefully they've figured out a way to get much more distance between the pad and the rotors for more flexibility on wheel swaps, less rubbing, less annoying griding in wet, debris filled riding.

I'm with you, kind of sick of the brake bleeds, contaminated pads, poorly faced mount points which makes caliper adjustment impossible etc. Routing hydro lines and bleeding, dealing with nasty fluids has killed a lot of the zen in bike wrenching for me. Long day at work, kids in bed, last thing I want to do at 10pm is deal with a brake bleed.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:02 PM
mentholated

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordanh View Post
Road discs in 10 years I think will be much better. Hopefully they've figured out a way to get much more distance between the pad and the rotors for more flexibility on wheel swaps, less rubbing, less annoying griding in wet, debris filled riding.
this has yet to happen in mtb world since the first disc brake was introduced i think its foolish to think its going to one day happen for their road counterparts.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
this has yet to happen in mtb world since the first disc brake was introduced i think its foolish to think its going to one day happen for their road counterparts.
Agreed
Old 11-19-2022, 01:07 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:

My old 29er with Juicy Avids still are as good as anything I've ridden, actually at top of heap for good performance. So where is the evolution to today's hydo MTB I wonder?
Old 11-20-2022, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Disagree. You have way higher profile riders on the road complaining about all the issues (mostly rubbing and brake noise). Shimano already bumped the pad clearance 10% between their gen 1 DA disc group and gen 2. I'm certain more innovations along this vein are en route in future groupsets. MTB innovations focused on power, minimizing fade, and modulation. Road innovations will be focused on zero perceived lost watts under any circumstances and eliminating idiosyncrasies and irritations.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Shimano disc MTB brakes are pretty much "set it and forget it" type brakes. The service can be nothing more than attaching a cup and pumping the lever to remove some air bubbles every year or so. Hayes, Hope and Magura all make solid MTB brakes.

The key thing that helped MTB brakes was the move to larger rotors, which have really helped.

But the MTB world moved on from weight concerns years ago, which is not what the road world is in any position to do.

As for changing wheels, if you have a good set of hydraulic brakes, when you switch wheel, use a park disc brake tool to push back the pads, re-insert the wheel and pump the brakes a few times and you should be good go. Have two set of wheels for my gravel bike and switch wheels all the time, and if I do the above, I never have issues.

With all that said, I think the vast majority of riders don't need road disc brakes and the mechanical disc brakes that come on all cheap bikes are just plain terrible - much, much worse than rim brakes.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:15 AM

Closing in on 60 and still can't think of a single time I've thought I've needed disc brakes on any of the 20+ bikes I ride. Even the time I overcooked a fast descent and had smoke coming off the front brake didn't cause me an issue on the alloy rims. Still able to run the rest of the fast descent at breakneck speed. Maybe you just can't miss what you've never had.

I do consider what rims/brakes I'm running on only two of the local descents. Coming down Powder MT at 20ish percent downgrade it dangerous because of the steepness, curves, gravel, unexpected wildlife, etc. I never run hard down that one and would never consider coming down it with CF rims and rim brakes only because all of my CF rims are older and used when I got them.

Then coming down old Snowbasin Road can be tricky too due to a lot of hazards so I prefer alloy rims on that one also but have ran both. Now Monte Cristo and Trapper's Loop are game on for anything. I can hit 55 mph on Trappers but the curves are long and gentle so if cars don't get in the way you can run the full 8 miles down tucked and at as much speed as you have nerve.

Every other close call over all these years have never resulted in me thinking I needed disc brakes even though I figure that are better in some situations.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:32 AM

Man, if the bike industry ever finds out about this forum all those suckers who purchased disc brakes and tubeless tires are going to be very sorry. Within weeks the execs. will be woke to the idea that they were indeed wrong about what the pedaling masses want and desire out of a bicycle. I believe many here will be hired as product designers and consultants in order to right this sinking ship.

Vive La frickshione shifter and long live le squared taper bracket at the bottom. Unplug and brake your bike with the force of your 60 year old hands.

Join now or be left behind!
Old 11-21-2022, 06:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Man, if the bike industry ever finds out about this forum all those suckers who purchased disc brakes and tubeless tires are going to be very sorry. Within weeks the execs. will be woke to the idea that they were indeed wrong about what the pedaling masses want and desire out of a bicycle. I believe many here will be hired as product designers and consultants in order to right this sinking ship.

Vive La frickshione shifter and long live le squared taper bracket at the bottom. Unplug and brake your bike with the force of your 60 year old hands.

Join now or be left behind!
Heaven forbid that some bike riders have different opinions, needs and wants than what the 'bike industry' wants or expects. Marketeers get paid way more than design engineers.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:51 AM
Steel..what else??

Yep.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:51 AM

As a lifelong MTB’er I started road biking pretty late (in 2015). All of the bikes i have owned from the start have been disc.

My first custom road frame which i hope to have soon will have rim brakes. Fingers crossed…

Last edited by Matt92037; 11-19-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:55 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Already there for me. Also kinda using my carbon wheels less and fine w/good alloy with Blue Flash Swiss Stop pads which I find superb 28" rotors/stoppers..

And why I woulda grabbed Clean's Super duper ti rim brake frame if i did not get beat to it..

My #1 now is the Green RSL/SLR Domane the was PSAed here in Oct. Direct mount rim brakes and 32mm tirz, as big as I've gone road, previously 28-30mm.

With the 32s made now that are way fast, and my size... perecto!

Last edited by robt57; 11-19-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
back to the future, brake jerks, counter-revolutionaries, gravel groaning, rim sniffing