Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2024, 01:46 PM
#RYFB

Swissstop Yellow King vs Black Prince

Which do you prefer and why?

According to their site Black is superior in modulation, inferior in stopping power and longevity. Personally, I care most about stopping power. Using Black Prince with BTLOS rims and, while better than my experience with previous carbon rims, I still have to think more about braking during fast descents than I do on aluminum rims.

Or should I just buy Campy red instead?
Old 05-07-2024, 01:58 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I bought lots of yellow pads for CX. They seemed to work better than the black ones.

...and like Forrest Gump says: 'and that's all I'm going to say about that.'

M
Old 05-07-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post

According to their site Black is superior in modulation, inferior in stopping power and longevity. Personally, I care most about stopping power. Using Black Prince with BTLOS rims and, while better than my experience with previous carbon rims, I still have to think more about braking during fast descents than I do on aluminum rims.

Or should I just buy Campy red instead?
I switch to Campy red pads. Used black prince pads for years. The Campy red pads perform great on grooved BTLOS and Farsports wheels. Overall more stopping power and better modulation.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:04 PM

I like the yellow too. I bought a bunch of them a year or so ago for both cross and road thinking they might not be around much longer. I hope they don't age in the packaging.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post

Having used both, I prefer the black pads generally and if you find the Zipp pads on sale they're the same thing.

I dont have any long descents that I ride, but even with that the wear on the pads is alarmingly fast on my older Reynolds wheels. I probably ride my rim brake bike once a week and i'll easily burn through 1, if not 2 sets of pads each year.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Having used both, I prefer the black pads generally and if you find the Zipp pads on sale they're the same thing.

I dont have any long descents that I ride, but even with that the wear on the pads is alarmingly fast on my older Reynolds wheels. I probably ride my rim brake bike once a week and i'll easily burn through 1, if not 2 sets of pads each year.
Which Zipp pads? The ones I see online are less expensive than Black Prince so I like that option.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:41 PM
kg

My experience with longevity has been the opposite — yellow wear much faster than black. I would estimate that the black lasts me three times longer. Modulation on grooved carbon rims and direct mount brakes isn’t as good as aluminum but so much better than historic carbon wheels that I’m quite happy with it.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm View Post
Which Zipp pads? The ones I see online are less expensive than Black Prince so I like that option.
These, I believe - https://planetcyclery.com/zipp-tange...RoCV1EQAvD_BwE
Old 05-07-2024, 08:05 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
I switch to Campy red pads. Used black prince pads for years. The Campy red pads perform great on grooved BTLOS and Farsports wheels. Overall more stopping power and better modulation.
How's the wear on the Campy red pads?

I'm running Black Prince pads with BTLOS arc-grooved rims and I'm burning through them pretty quick. Granted I have a lot of steep and fast descents here, but I'm not riding the brakes down.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:29 AM

I think the reason why Yellow wears faster is because they stop better.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post

I'm running Black Prince pads with BTLOS arc-grooved rims and I'm burning through them pretty quick. Granted I have a lot of steep and fast descents here, but I'm not riding the brakes down.
I feel they wear about the same as black prince pads. We don't have any flat roads but also don't have many super long steep descents. I am on the brakes quite a bit on my usual routes. The wear is not alarming and get through an entire season of riding.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post

Do you feel like the grooved brake track helps during dry conditions or is it just helpful in wet weather conditions?
Old 05-08-2024, 01:03 PM

Similar to others, I used a mix of yellow/black for years....but once I tried Campy red, I have never gone back.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:18 PM

Anyone have a good source for Campy red pads that fit Shimano holders?
Old 05-08-2024, 02:03 PM

After trying Black Prince, I went to Campy red and never looked back. For me the just brake better, and last longer. I buy them at bike24.