Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2019, 08:12 PM

Spec Power- Pro Stealth- Prologo Dimension

Has anyone tried these saddles which do you prefer and why
Old 02-11-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
Has anyone tried these saddles which do you prefer and why
They come out of the same factory (Velo) It comes down to which logo you want on your bike. For set up, from the nose of your old saddle, find where it widens to 70mm, that’s the centre of the saddle. Now measure from there to the centre of your top cap (reach), now do the same for the new Dimension saddle and set it to the reach measurement. The new saddle will be in the same position as your old one.

Have you had a saddle fit done?
Old 02-11-2019, 02:03 AM

I've had both the Pro and the Spez and found them quite different. I had one ride on a Prologo and would say it was different again.

1. The relative positions of the shell versus the rails are different. You can't just pop one on in place of another and have the same saddle height or saddle position.

2. The curve across the top and the curve at the flare going back to the rear are different between the Spez and Pro. They do roughly the same thing, but feel quite different. The cutout is also differently shaped and the padding at the edge of the cutout is thicker but much firmer on the Spez.

3. The carbon shells of the Pro and Spez may come from the same factory but I question that. The shapes are different. The mountings are different. Even the manufacturing date stamps are different, which makes me question whether they come from the same factory.

To choose between them? There's no alternative but to try them. It's annoying that even within the Spez line the basic model and the S-works version are noticeably different, so you can't just compare low-end versions. And the center cutout works quite differently; I found I didn't care which cutout I was riding, though I felt quite a bit more discomfort from the flares at the back on the Pro where they cut into the back of my thighs while pedaling.

Positioning? The shape is completely different from a traditional saddle so you can't just pick a point on one saddle and relate it to another. The abrupt flares in the back may impinge on your hamstrings more and you need to sit farther forward or back. The saddle angle commonly has to be tipped slightly more downward for some riders because of this, though I'd argue that at that point it simply isn't the right saddle for them. What you really want to do is figure out just where you like to sit on your current saddle and nail that location on the Power or Pro saddle (hope that makes sense). There's very little fore and aft flexibility on these saddles so you have to figure out where you like to sit and pick that position. If you like to move a lot, this may not be the saddle for you.

Also, there are different saddle widths and while saddle widths don't mean too much on a basic Prologo or Toupe, they really count on these saddles. I haven't been able to figure out a real correlation or predictor for saddle width with these. Using a wide traditional saddle doesn't mean you need to go to a wide Power.

For all the hassles in converting to the new saddle, I've never had as comfortable a saddle as I've had with the Power. It's worth the effort. It may not be for you, but if it is, you'll love it.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 AM
needs adult supervision

To add yet one more level of complexity (confusion?) the Power also comes in an Arc version. To my butt, it feels more rounded side to side, meaning that the wings don’t dig into my hammies the way the standard Power does. FWIW, I find the Arc more comfy. What I’m just not sure of is, can I get used to the one position nature of a Power? Every saddle has some sort of trade off. The one position-ness of a Power is its biggest challenge for me, but many, many folks love it.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:01 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
To choose between them? There's no alternative but to try them. It's annoying that even within the Spez line the basic model and the S-works version are noticeably different, so you can't just compare low-end versions.
11.4, would you mind talking a bit more about the differences between the various Spez levels of saddles? I've only ever tried the level with the ti rails, never the S-Works. Do the S-Works feel different/better? Any insights very much appreciated. Thx!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
11.4, would you mind talking a bit more about the differences between the various Spez levels of saddles? I've only ever tried the level with the ti rails, never the S-Works. Do the S-Works feel different/better? Any insights very much appreciated. Thx!
I think the differences in the Power lineup are more between the SWorks and Pro versions and the lower two - the Expert and the Comp. I can feel no difference between the Pro and SWorks versions. They are both listed as having the same padding firmness "Level 1 padding: Lightest level of padding for the most direct connection to the bike" while the Expert and Comp are listed as "Level 2 padding: Medium density foam for bike feel with additional cushioning."
Old 02-11-2019, 10:03 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
I think the differences in the Power lineup are more between the SWorks and Pro versions and the lower two - the Expert and the Comp. I can feel no difference between the Pro and SWorks versions. They are both listed as having the same padding firmness "Level 1 padding: Lightest level of padding for the most direct connection to the bike" while the Expert and Comp are listed as "Level 2 padding: Medium density foam for bike feel with additional cushioning."
Do you have a preference between level 1 and 2 padding? All mine are level 2. Thx.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Do you have a preference between level 1 and 2 padding? All mine are level 2. Thx.
I've never tried the Comp or the Expert though I've never felt the Level 1 padding on the Pro and SWorks to be inadequate.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:16 AM

Have a couple season on the sworks Power, and 1000 mi or so on the Pro. As mentioned above, totally different shapes. The Power has one "sweetspot" while the Pro has a usable nose if you like to move forward. They do feel different, but as 11.4 says, they do the same thing, allow for greater rotation and a more comfy low position. Initially I was really bothered by the wide nose of the Pro but I've adapted-those with bigger thighs might want to try one out.
Both saddles are available with reasonably accurate copies for under 40 bucks-I tried the Pro in this version (alloy rails) and eventually bought the real thing (carbon rails) after deciding that I liked it

As far as padding goes, I prefer the Level 1 on the Power, its firm but not uncomfortable.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:11 PM

Others answered Climb's question, but I'd say there's still a definite difference between the Sworks and the next level down. Underneath you can see that the shells are designed differently due to the different rails, but it looks like they took the opportunity on the Sworks to change the feel a bit, as well as alter the shape slightly. One thing I've also found is that the Pro tends to keep one shape when it's clamped into the rails, whereas the Sworks is a bit dependent on the particular seat post clamp: With a Thomson it took one shape but with a Moots it took a very different one. I put a 60 lb bag of birdshot on each saddle, mounted on the frame, just to see how the saddles flexed and they were also quite different, flexing more evenly throughout the length in the Sworks.

I think the Arc is something like having an Aliante to an Arione -- made to have more of a curve to it. The rise in the back is pretty minimal but it gives you more of a sense of your position while the regular Power gives you a straight rail you can either fall off of (which I did the first couple times I rode it) or push back into the flare on. That's not to say there's more range of movement, just that the Arc positions you a bit more rigidly. I didn't like it compared to the Power, perhaps because I still wanted an inch or two of movement or perhaps because it put me in the wrong position relative to the flare.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:46 PM

I found that the S-Works Power had a bit more realizable flex, or dare I say comforting flex, than the Ti or steel models. Even with arguably less padding, it was a bit more comfortable. But I should also add that, I've seen identical model Spez saddles that were not consistent in feel (ie, padding, flex, etc).

I prefer the slightly wider midsection on the standard Power in comparison to the Power Arc. But this is purely personal.

Ordering from Spec insures you get 30 days to try the saddle. And when you return it, they credit your money back right away. Bontrager may do this too. I like the Montrose Pro with carbon rails, and kept it, but in the end the Spec Power just was easier to live with.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:46 PM

I have The Power Comp, Expert, and Pro. After over a decade on Bontrager RL/RXL saddles on everything, the Power has been quite a nice change for the lady parts. I find I sit more planted on my sitbones with the shorter nose, and the wider opening seems to help with comfort. I put them on all of my non-Trek bikes, as I just can't bring myself to slap one on a Madone. Shallow, I know.

The Power is definitely sensitive to positioning, so I've been making minor adjustments as I go and evaluating how it affects comfort. Sometimes what seems to work on the trainer is completely wrong on the road, and vice-versa. Right now I'm looking for a happy medium. The first salesman I bought one from rode with his slightly nose-up, but I've found I prefer slightly nose-down. Fore-aft is also pretty critical with the short nose- you can't fake it as easily. I'm getting closer each time I make an adjustment, so once I have that sorted out I should be good until Specialized discontinues it and the NOS market dries up.

I do have a PRO Stealth that I haven't gotten around to installing yet on my main race bike. I picked up the race number attachment for it as well. Once I'm done sorting out my fit on the Power saddles, I'll probably start with that one.