Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 08:32 AM

Truly sorry and appreciate your perspective, there may not be a "make it right" solution for you but you are showing the fortitude to drive on and I commend you.

What size are you? I'll send you a bike to ride until you get back in action, OP said it right, this place can help.

I have a 53-ish Rock Lobster, let us know.

Pat
Old 11-25-2020, 08:39 AM

Wow, must've been surreal to come home to that.

You're on the far end of the bell curve for keeping your cool. I've dealt with family mental illness and it's easy to lose composure and start swearing left, right and center.

Like others have said, let us know what you need to for some two wheeled therapy and maybe we've got some stuff that can help.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:49 AM

Sorry to hear about this. You should report it to the police. What do you think motivated this senseless vandalism? I mean, I can understand why someone would steal a bike, but why saw it in half?
Old 11-25-2020, 08:54 AM

Very sorry to hear of this. No one needs this crap, even more so this year.

That person needs the type of help that is way out of your reach. Get LE involved before something worse happens. If not to you, to somebody else.

Seriously.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:59 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
If that happened to me, I dont think there would be pardoning "family". I would involve law enforcement. This person sounds unhinged. I am not sure what prompted this (jealousy/ did you deny them a personal loan or something?). However breaking and entering, vandalizing/destroying your property makes me worry about your family. Maybe the goal was destroying your stuff and doing you financial harm, but still, i would personally feel unsafe and that my home had been compromised. I would be asking what else someone so petty, vindictive and angry could be capable of.
I am sorry for this. I am not sure what you "owe" them to not report this to LE. From an outside perspective, it seems like their behavior went far beyond the level that should be pardoned for family.
Maybe the recognition here is that the person is suffering from a mental health crisis and some empathy may be better in the long run than trying to have them punished. Maybe what is owed is a chance for them to get healthy and not have more obstacles put in the way of a recovery. That is the sentiment that I am reading into the OP. All of us are harbouring the potential to become "unhinged" given the right set of circumstances.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:01 AM
Tired Member

Wow. That's just awful. I'm really sorry to read it and hope that the other things in the house are as easily replaceable as the bikes.

2020 has been a hard one. We're just about to put it in the history books.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:01 AM
Riding Along

Dave B. Please feel free to reach out if you want to talk. As a fellow teacher I may have some insight into some of your realities. Happy to listen and chat. You are not alone. PM me if you need anything, I will do what ever I can to help.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:08 AM

Dave B... If I can help in anyway, please let me know. I too think you should call the cops. I suspect there is more to come from this person.

Take good care, David B
Old 11-25-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Being upset doesn’t really describe the feeling as you love people, not stuff. However, those of you here “get it” when it comes to our bikes. We foolishly personify them at times and while my two bikes that have emotional values are fine, I cannot help be frustrated with this. I didn’t feel any other place might understand or at least not be too judgmental in my frustration with losing material things, but enough is enough.
I don't think anyone (cyclist or non-cyclist) would be judge you unfavorably for being frustrated at losing material things.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:23 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Maybe the recognition here is that the person is suffering from a mental health crisis and some empathy may be better in the long run than trying to have them punished. Maybe what is owed is a chance for them to get healthy and not have more obstacles put in the way of a recovery. That is the sentiment that I am reading into the OP. All of us are harbouring the potential to become "unhinged" given the right set of circumstances.

To all who have commented. First off thank you for your support. I meant this thread simply as say a therapy way of understanding. I am not happy as to what happened obviously, but it also has given me perspective. Anyone who teaches or knows one realizes that money is not something that comes easily, well bike money. I have THE two most important bikes to me, that is important.

The family member in question is getting help and needs it. There is no desire for me to punish them more as it would make their situation worse and I ha e to believe that being who I am matters to my family (in house) and we are ok. The important stuff has been taken care of and the extra stuff is just going to take some time. I have plenty of that as far as I know.

My attitude...well it wasn’t good until I understood what had happen. Now, I just don’t wish to stay angry as that doesn’t help anyone. I am learning how to let go of control of things I don’t have creole over.

Thank you all for your thoughts, just know that I choose not to prosecute family over this. I think it would cause further issues that no one wants. I sure don’t want to be the reason for anything else. Maybe 10 years ago I would feel different, but at 45 I just think moving forward makes the best option.

Today was me moving forward and sharing this crap. So, if you see a family member hurting, you might need to say something.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:24 AM

Speaking from personal experience, it is totally possible for you to have law enforcement come down to take evidence for insurance purposes and then not have them pursue further action / prosecution.

(I mean, your police might be different than the ones I dealt with at the time. But cynically, since the other person is now out of state, they would essentially not be able to do anything anyway. At least for property loss; if you've got insurance, property loss/damage just isn't at all high on their list of priorities. But that's a different story.)

Another teacher here. I'd be happy to host a happy hour over Zoom if a gripe session would help.

Last edited by mhespenheide; 11-25-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:26 AM

Wow, incredibly terrible situation. I commend you for your empathy and class in handling this. Me, I would probably have handled this far differently after coming home to that. Can't imagine what would have prompted this behavior. If you think in any way this person may harm others then LE most definitely should be involved. Bikes is one thing, harming humans is another.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:31 AM

I'm really sorry, be thankful your family is safe and healthy, but it's also okay to be upset over your property. A few years ago I had someone break my car window and steal my backpack. Nothing irreplaceable was stolen, and the value of what I lost was only a few hundred dollars, but it still felt extremely violating, in a way that I don't think I would have felt if I had lost the same property to a fire or earthquake. I hope you are able to move on and feel better.

As for the bikes, once you've decided on insurance claims and the dust has settled, I may be interested in seeing what I can do to salvage the C50, Z3, and SSR. PM me at any point if you'd like to discuss.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:35 AM

You're very deep into bike collector territory seemingly for your financial status and if you can't just go buy all those bikes back in cash tomorrow you should think about how to protect yourself more in the future.

Whether that is an upgraded insurance policy, bikes stored in a secured storage unit, whatever.

Is the police situation because this person had a key to your house and was not technically breaking and entering?

It is hard to believe an insurance policy could be this brutal. Were the bikes & their value listed on the policy?

My bikes are listed on the policy even though they are worth 1/10th what your collection was. I actually destroyed a bike years ago forgetting it was on the bike rack and the insurance paid for no problem at all even though it was 100% my fault. I could be wrong but I'd really like to think B&E + theft and/or destruction of my bikes would not be an issue.

Is the situation any better with the non-bike damage?

Best wishes. Like anyone needed this in 2020.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
From what I've read here, this person doesn't seem to me just mentally ill, he seems to be a criminal. A mentally ill person might break stuff, but only a criminal would come maliciously with a hacksaw to cut carbon bike frames in half.

Last edited by fiamme red; 11-25-2020 at 09:50 AM.