Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 06:13 AM
Ex-Mr.President

2020...$#*+…enough already.

Greetings on this (from my window) dull, cold, wet, relentless day before a day of thanks. I have been taking time away from the e-world to get a new beginning of sorts. Trying to dip a toe back into the life that seems familiar. Finding happiness in those day dreams of a utopian version of the “good old days” that we remember forgetting the issues we dealt with then.

This year has been difficult for so many in countless and unfathomable ways. I am sure many of you have been through your own version of it. For those of you who have and continue to thrive in difficult times, you have my utmost respect.

I find myself healing in many ways, mostly mental and emotional. Family in my house is doing ok, extended family is beat up, (some crappy medical stuff going on), work is a political $h!t show (public schoolteacher) and life is now a hopeful day to day fight. Yes there is hope, but finding one’s breaking point has become something of a new challenge.

I don’t think a listing of all of our crap shared is my purpose here, only the idea that for those of you going through your worst days now, you aren’t alone. I have shared some very personal issues here over the years, gotten out and back into cycling, and have enjoyed this place for all its glimmer and its warts. I think talking here and the voices on the other side of the screen and keyboard have given my positive juju in the past and I could use a little bit.

No where in my world are bikes taken as serious and a lot of the people in my world do not always understand bikes, the money that can be spent, and the joy it can bring when done healthy...maybe even some of the struggling training stuff we put our bodies through.

I recently had a “family” member decide to take a break from their reality in my home while at work. While my wife and I were at work and kids in school we were visited by this family member on their way out of town...they moved out of state for work and we were happy for them. This departure, it seems was a trigger to end remaining ties with the rest of the fam.

We came home to our house and the mess that was left. House was torn up, furniture destroyed, stuff broken all over. Glass...I know hate glass, especially tiny tiny tiny bits of it everywhere. Items that were important, but most no biggie.

Every carbon bike I owned was cut in half, they only thing that went undamaged were my two special apple IF’s, but several of the metal bikes I had are toast and dented beyond repair or the cost is something two teachers cannot swing. It was slightly interesting to see inside bikes costing what they do, but I would have been just fine not knowing.

Bikes destroyed
Cervelo R3
Brand new (NOS) Seven Diamas V II
Happy camper’ s C-50 cut in half
Parlee Z3 cut in half
S Works Roubaix cut in half
Jimcav’s white and orange SSR tried to cut in half, two massive dents to buckle the TT
There are more, but whatever.
ENVE wheels destroyed
Zipp wheels destroyed
Mavic carbones destroyed
Ksyrium wheels (a few sets) bent to poo

And the list goes on.

Being upset doesn’t really describe the feeling as you love people, not stuff. However, those of you here “get it” when it comes to our bikes. We foolishly personify them at times and while my two bikes that have emotional values are fine, I cannot help be frustrated with this. I didn’t feel any other place might understand or at least not be too judgmental in my frustration with losing material things, but enough is enough.

2020 is going to be one of those years that marks a pivot in our own timelines, but holy cats, we need to close this chapter and pick up a new book!

For all of you who have been pushed, pulled, replaced, or thrown away, I hope tomorrow you begin to see the light.

I am choosing not dwell on this as my own mind probably needs a break.

I might be looking for a bike or two come spring, but I have to find a way to turn random bits into something. Anyone near Indy who needs campy drivetrain stuff and wheels, give me a shout. Some point I’ll begin posting, but local is easier right now.

Big picture, these are just objects that don’t make me who I am, but for me who has put so much into them, money, time, energy, etc...it stings.

First world problems, I know.

Thanks for the vent session. Keep your head clear and get help if you need it. Take care of yourselves!

Come on 2021!
Old 11-25-2020, 06:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Holy crap....reach out to this community if there is anything the collective ‘we’ can help with. My email below...

Cp51errc@gmail.com

If you get a hubset together, I can build you wheels. My cost of spokes and stuff, no labor $...

Gad...is LE getting involved?

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-25-2020 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:30 AM

Wow. Heal up man. Will insurance pay for the bikes ruined or .....
Old 11-25-2020, 06:35 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Thanks, appreciate it.

I looked into insurance and stuff and LE would have to be involved. This person is family and is getting help, so I am choosing to not add to the problem. It is a huuuuge pill to swallow, but I am not a normal person. Teachers don’t live in the “real world” or so I keep being reminded.

Plus, maybe this is one of those moments where you just cannot win...well to make it right I guess. Also, we have more important things to fix or replace.

I am salvaging parts obviously, but some of the bikes were unicorns for me. Again, big picture I suppose. I can also play the lottery with new goals.

Oh, the only road bike not destroyed is the first USPS Trek Madone frameset in the storage closet. So, you know top self stuff.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:54 AM

That sucks, but it sounds like you've got a good outlook and way forward.

LE could be involved since it's apparently needed for the insurance claim, then you can drop the charges later, or even appeal to the judge for probation or some other form of leniency.

Take care, let us know if we can help.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:05 AM

Holy F...
Glad he decided to take that out of "stuff" and not people, but I feel for you. I'd be devastated. Insurance, I hope?
Old 11-25-2020, 07:44 AM

Damn. Let's keep the details of why off this thread for all of your legal reasons. As others have said if you need something to cobble back together a rig, post up. This is your more rational "family" as it were....other than the usual dinner table arguments of campy vs. shimano...
Old 11-25-2020, 07:51 AM

Sorry to hear about this, hope you and the family are able to get some things taken care of finish the year off in a better place.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:59 AM

Wow, that is a crazy trip to read.. The fact you are taking it so calmly is amazing to me. I would like to think I am a good person, but I'm not sure I could sit on my hands in such a situation.

What size frameset? I'm pretty sure our N+20 crowd has some brodeals in their closets!
Old 11-25-2020, 08:00 AM

Difficult situation. Would it be possible to have LE involved for insurance purposes without filing charges? It has been a difficult and stressful year, I've lost 2 friends to COVID.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:04 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
Difficult situation. Would it be possible to have LE involved for insurance purposes without filing charges? It has been a difficult and stressful year, I've lost 2 friends to COVID.
I am sorry for your loss, we too have lost friends and distant family member. Also seen a lot of issues with surviving and recovering the VID. Terrible things have happened to so many people that didn’t die. It is heartbreaking what I hear are after effects with many.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:25 AM

If that happened to me, I dont think there would be pardoning "family". I would involve law enforcement. This person sounds unhinged. I am not sure what prompted this (jealousy/ did you deny them a personal loan or something?). However breaking and entering, vandalizing/destroying your property makes me worry about your family. Maybe the goal was destroying your stuff and doing you financial harm, but still, i would personally feel unsafe and that my home had been compromised. I would be asking what else someone so petty, vindictive and angry could be capable of.
I am sorry for this. I am not sure what you "owe" them to not report this to LE. From an outside perspective, it seems like their behavior went far beyond the level that should be pardoned for family.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:32 AM

Truly sorry and appreciate your perspective, there may not be a "make it right" solution for you but you are showing the fortitude to drive on and I commend you.

What size are you? I'll send you a bike to ride until you get back in action, OP said it right, this place can help.

I have a 53-ish Rock Lobster, let us know.

Pat
Old 11-25-2020, 08:59 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
If that happened to me, I dont think there would be pardoning "family". I would involve law enforcement. This person sounds unhinged. I am not sure what prompted this (jealousy/ did you deny them a personal loan or something?). However breaking and entering, vandalizing/destroying your property makes me worry about your family. Maybe the goal was destroying your stuff and doing you financial harm, but still, i would personally feel unsafe and that my home had been compromised. I would be asking what else someone so petty, vindictive and angry could be capable of.
I am sorry for this. I am not sure what you "owe" them to not report this to LE. From an outside perspective, it seems like their behavior went far beyond the level that should be pardoned for family.
Maybe the recognition here is that the person is suffering from a mental health crisis and some empathy may be better in the long run than trying to have them punished. Maybe what is owed is a chance for them to get healthy and not have more obstacles put in the way of a recovery. That is the sentiment that I am reading into the OP. All of us are harbouring the potential to become "unhinged" given the right set of circumstances.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:01 AM
Riding Along

Dave B. Please feel free to reach out if you want to talk. As a fellow teacher I may have some insight into some of your realities. Happy to listen and chat. You are not alone. PM me if you need anything, I will do what ever I can to help.