Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I read on the Interwebs the other day that the earth is flat, and that if you sail too far you'll fall off the edge. I don't know if that's true or not, because I've never been that far in a boat, but that is a bit worrisome. Good thing most cruises have been shut down due to the C-19.

Speaking of COVID, I also read somewhere that it's just a big hoax designed to make our government look bad...

I've been a member of this forum and various other incarnations of it, from the "Original" Kahuna days to the Serotta forum, etc, etc, and even years later it seems like not a month has gone by without someone dredging up something negative to say about Serottas. Whether it was "it's a brand for dentists" or "they sure do build some funny looking frames" (when a picture of a custom bike designed for someone with very specific medical issues showed up somewhere on the web). You'd think that eventually this sort of stuff would die out, but no, like clockwork it still shows up.

Ya Ive been here forever too. The worst thing I saw was a Serotta w paint that seemed prone to chipping but Ive seen worse. Also I rode the bike when it was in our shop as I rode all after the mechanic was done.. Ive seen ti Serottas, mixed material Serottas and steel. Never seen a truly bad one. Maybe Dave Kirk could tell you more.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:41 AM

My Fat was made by them, very nice, but the seat tube wasn't reamed out to 27.2 cleanly.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
My Fat was made by them, very nice, but the seat tube wasn't reamed out to 27.2 cleanly.
Any good bike shop will ream a seat tube clean during the build. No big deal.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:49 AM

Back in the day, I saw many, many Serottas out of the box and otherwise. My very close association with the owners of two different (and at the time very successful) Serotta dealers over about 20 years gave me a close look at the bikes. The workmanship was extremely fine in every instance.

I’m writing off those comments as sour grapes from someone who probably thought they and their “team” didn’t get enough “free stuff” from Serotta. You know the type - professional Cat 3 racers who think someone else should pay for their hobby. Because there is nothing more important to a bike maker or dealer than the publicity that comes from finishing second at the Tour de Shopping Mall Parking Lot.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:06 AM

Era

I would say that it depends on the era.

I never saw a Serotta with poor construction- I.E. lugs, but I did see more than a few with poor paint in the early 90's. Thin spots, orange peel around the bb area and such.

Contrast that with my experience with Serotta in the 2000's- Every one was dead on. Finish on point, geometry perfect, bb threads in by hand, etc..
Old 09-27-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Relevant how?
Old 09-27-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
anyone who has worked in the bicycle industry knows that these type of off the books, backroom, under the table shenanigans are sadly the rule, not the exception. would post some stories but sleeping dogs are probably best left sleeping. i know old tater has a few.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:33 AM
Older Than You

The shop where I work was a top 25 Serotta dealer back around 2000. The ONLY complaint was lack of communication. No one would answer the phones at Serotta customer service. The bikes were all top notch.

I've owned a total of one used Serotta..a custom built titanium 58cm with a very short top tube. Great bike but didn't fit well.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:10 AM

I have only had two but both my CR and CSI seemed a notch above in quality.

Comparing a Serrota to the RB-1 I had and still enjoyed. Everything was higher quality on the Serottas. A lot actually.

I would happily own another.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Two wheels good

All the Serottas that I've seen have been very well made with the exception of one a few months before they closed shop. It was my friend's new Ti frame that had the cable stop put on upsidedown. But hey, everyone has an off day and Serotta quickly fixed it.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Andy Hampsten rode a Landshark at the Giro for a reason.
This is some of the best trolling I've ever seen: simple, subtle, cutting. You have to give it up when an artist paints his Mona Lisa.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:17 PM

Is there a FB link?
Old 09-27-2020, 12:56 PM

You gotta look at the narrator and teller of the story. What kind of psycho orders 6 frames and returns all of them? And how is the company going to treat him after that happens? I'm guessing he was blackballed and that further eroded the relationship.

Serotta is many things, weird geometry, weird paint, questionable pricing/marketing, but every frame I've seen has been a wonder of craft.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:48 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I expected the popcorn emotos, but we went right to flat earth..

I have seen my share of Serotta, NE/NJ was a hub with one of the biggest dealers on my stomping grounds, a few miles from the Huge LiteSpeed shop with the cheaper Ti bikes.

I never saw a Serotta that was not sano over quite a few years. And had a few used go thru here in the PNW last few years. All excellent, even paint holding up well on well used frames etc.

Never a fan personally, Never one to pay extra premiums for "S", opting for a few Carl Strong frames instead.

I rode a Legend around 2001, thought it not nearly stiff enough, only personal pedaling experience. Well one steel tigged that was too big, but it felt stiff enough. But then again my legs are not the speed skater loins @ 63 they were 20 years ago either...
Old 09-27-2020, 01:52 PM

I've owned three Serotta's over the years. '93 T-Max, '98 Atlanta, and now a '06 Meivici. All were top notch builds. The paint was great on all of them too. The finish on my Meivici is world class. Painted on graphics, clear coat that looks far deeper than it is. Very happy. The threads about Serotta, Lemond, and Lance are getting exhausting. Can't wait for winter to arrive so we can debate this stuff on a daily basis.