Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post

next step is to get it rigged up as my flyfishing bike. picked up a rear rack today and gonna start to brainstorm.
Interesting, for sure.

Curious about the direction you take.

I built up a Salsa Blackborow two summers ago and I added a BOB trailer.

I carry an inflatable Outcast "Fish Cat Panther" on my remote BWCA fishing jaunts near our cabin. I fish for smallies and muskies with 7 and 10 weights.

https://www.outcastboats.com/pontoon...oon-boats.html

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/blackb...borow_gx_eagle
Old 01-04-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Interesting, for sure.

Curious about the direction you take.

I built up a Salsa Blackborow two summers ago and I added a BOB trailer.

I carry an inflatable Outcast "Fish Cat Panther" on my remote BWCA fishing jaunts near our cabin. I fish for smallies and muskies with 7 and 10 weights.

https://www.outcastboats.com/pontoon...oon-boats.html

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/blackb...borow_gx_eagle
Im picky about this. i dont like to ride slow, so my goal is to build a bike that can carry the gear, but doesnt suck at everything else. I walk into and wadefish most of my steelhead spots. i think im close. I just need some better bags. I may pick up some plain jamne ortleibs, but i feel like theres a better solution out there. ideally id have the large bag one one side, and a slightly small;er bag on the rod side that i could then use as my "on the river sling" with spare coat, snack, water, etc. so far swift industries, and a couple portland bag makers wont do a custom for me, ill find someone to though. any of you paceliners know bag makers? or work for one?

[IMG]donkeyhorsedonkey by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]bikefishing by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 01-04-2020, 10:43 AM

What kind of bag do you need? Describe it bit better for one not native to your language ?

I know a guy who makes nice courier backpacks and similar, he also does custom but its also pretty far away from you i guess.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Im picky about this. i dont like to ride slow, so my goal is to build a bike that can carry the gear, but doesnt suck at everything else. I walk into and wadefish most of my steelhead spots. i think im close. I just need some better bags. I may pick up some plain jamne ortleibs, but i feel like theres a better solution out there. ideally id have the large bag one one side, and a slightly small;er bag on the rod side that i could then use as my "on the river sling" with spare coat, snack, water, etc. so far swift industries, and a couple portland bag makers wont do a custom for me, ill find someone to though. any of you paceliners know bag makers? or work for one?

[IMG]donkeyhorsedonkey by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]bikefishing by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Thank you for the response. Looks like a great ride!

I wish I could go into the spots I go with tires that narrow.

I can go 23 miles into the BWCA off of Spruce road on the bike and some of the roads are under water in the spring. Not deep, but just enough to be a pain. In the summer, mud, overgrown shrubs and native grasses don't allow for a "fast" ride.

I just use standard Salsa/Surly bags, along with a Swift Ozette I can transfer from bike to bike. I hate riding with anything on my back, so it's nice to have ample storage on the trailer and panniers. A little crowded on the trailer with the Outcast, pump and oars, but I make do.

In addition, I'm looking pretty closely at these from Cedaero.

https://www.cedaero.com/custom-packs/custom-pannier

Also, I would contact Ely at Ruthworks. Two of the guys ride with use his rando bags and they are super nice. Overbuilt I would say and he does exceptional custom work.

https://www.ruthworkssf.com/
Old 01-04-2020, 11:11 AM

Ruthworks is way too nice for this application, ive got a couple of their bags, but maybe ill reach out. I actually contacted salsa yesterday about those very trout spot bags you linked, was just waiting to hear back, but ill do through the link you sent instead!

Basically my ideal bag setup based on what i know so far would be something like:

30-40l volume waterproof pannier on NDS to carry wet waders and or boots. This berthoud is a great size, just crappy material for the job, and way too fancy to stick dirty fishing gear in. i got a tip to carry boots on the salsa everything rack on the fork, so that may work too.

then this is the custom type bag id want: It would be a smallish (slightly expandable) messenger bag that had a pannier type rack attachment, a shoulder strap to carry on the river, waterproof zipper, a couple internal pockets and done. a lot of the backpack type convertible panniers are close, but too much straps and pockets, i dont need a full school backpack, just a simple sling. and waterproof.

these bags are actually looking pretty good to me
https://www.benscycle.com/axiom-mons...bg6863/product

Last edited by Mzilliox; 01-04-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:18 PM

New Shoes!

I've taken this bike on so many adventures--really can't say enough about it. It's a beast, yet with the Force 10 group it somehow builds up lighter than my steel road bike. I could use a smaller chainset (if anyone's sitting on a Praxis subcompact, let me know), but otherwise it's a wonderful all-around bike.

Some very memorable mixed-surface/off-road rides this summer (witness the wear to the bar tape) on Rock 'n Roads and 32mm Gravel Kings. Excited to try these new-ish Babyshoe Pass tires (thanks to the classifieds here!).

(I removed the fenders in an attempt to help with the dry year we're having around here. Isn't that how it works? Removed fenders = increased precipitation?)

Old 01-04-2020, 01:50 PM

Shakedown ride for the new AXS Eagle 1X group. I really like the AXS. It works perfectly and was super easy to set up once I get a hanger with the correct thread pitch for Sram products. A 42X10-50 is plenty of a gear range for me. Also, the Hope RX4 are great brakes. I am really liking them.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:55 PM
shimergo

Very nice! Love all the different anodized bits with the AXS chain and cassette.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:59 PM

Shameless plug AXS Groupo
Old 01-04-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
Very nice! Love all the different anodized bits with the AXS chain and cassette.
here is a detail of the cockpit.

someone should buy simplemind's AXS eagle drivetrain.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:43 PM

42x50 and you went 1x. What’s the weight differential from your prior set-up? Congrats!!
Old 01-04-2020, 04:33 PM
aka RAEKWON

why did you go with a new fork?
Old 01-04-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
why did you go with a new fork?
Old fork. I had two. And sold my camo fork. Priorities in life change, ya know.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Who wants a donkey ride?

[IMG]Donkey day by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Mzilliox,
Sweet ride! Hope you can tells us more about it and your impressions. Maybe even start a thread on it in the Production gallery.

Love to hear more. I've been checking out the Rodeo Labs website and considering a possible gravel bike in my future.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKeller View Post
Mzilliox,
Sweet ride! Hope you can tells us more about it and your impressions. Maybe even start a thread on it in the Production gallery.

Love to hear more. I've been checking out the Rodeo Labs website and considering a possible gravel bike in my future.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Will get one going for sure. Its been super fun so far, but very limited miles at this point. Its easier to ride on gravel than my other gravel bikes, but i have no experience with the open ups or ibis hakkas of the world to compare it to.