Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
One of the big advantages that Tubolito tubes have over traditional tubes is that they hold air forever. It sounds like other TPU tubes do not, though?
I've tried a few different brands of the AliExpress ones (Cyclami, Ridenow, a couple others). They hold air better than latex and about on par with lightweight butyl I've found. So pretty good, but not forever.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:30 AM

I just ordered the Cyclamis a couple days ago as a test. They hold air fairly well?

I always carry C02 but rarely use it (sometimes for people I assist while out) Tubalito has always claimed C02 is fine to use.

Any further thoughts on this?

Been running latex for some time now
Old 04-15-2024, 09:36 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I just ordered the Cyclamis a couple days ago as a test. They hold air fairly well?

I always carry C02 but rarely use it (sometimes for people I assist while out) Tubalito has always claimed C02 is fine to use.

Any further thoughts on this?

Been running latex for some time now
Cyclamis have worked well for me and hold air well. I definitely prefer the metal valve stem.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Cyclamis have worked well for me and hold air well. I definitely prefer the metal valve stem.
Cheers

Ever use Co2 ?
Old 04-15-2024, 10:05 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Cheers

Ever use Co2 ?
Broadly no and specifically in a tpu tube, no. If I did it would be as slow an inflation as possible to avoid freezing the tube.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Broadly no and specifically in a tpu tube, no. If I did it would be as slow an inflation as possible to avoid freezing the tube.
Just curious given the claim by Tubilito. I always use a C02 regulator and not in a huge hurry.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2024, 01:19 PM

First impressions of RH TPU tubes are as expected.

They hold air well - similar retention to butyl and much better than latex. I took more installation care to ensure that the tube was aligned with itself and the valve stem, mainly because TPU doesn't feel particularly stretchy. Ride quality is not remarkably different than tubeless for 650x42 Babyshoe Pass EL. A TPU is considerably lighter and smaller in the spare kit.

This may be a good alternative to tubeless for wheels that don't get ridden that often, where sealant collects and hardens.

Instagram
Old 04-23-2024, 02:20 PM

My first impressions are the same. They ride great and the polished stem on my great old steel bike looks nicer.

I've never run tubeless because I really don't like dealing with the messy goop.
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Heine View Post
A few answers to questions posed in this super-interesting discussion:

- Rim brakes are no problem. The melt point of TPU is about where butyl tubes fail (145°C or 295°F)—higher than latex, which also works fine with rim brakes.

- CO2 is OK for topping up, but initial inflation with CO2 is not recommended. The high pressure and cold temperature (as the CO2 expands) can split the tubes.

- The Rene Herse TPU tubes are made in Germany. They are not just some rebranded product you can get from other sources. (None of our products are.)

Cheers,
Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles

Jan

Is it better to size up or down on TPU tubes for a tire that fits two size ranges? For example, 650x48

Instagram
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

Does anyone know whether CO2 diffuses through TPU the way it does through butyl? Does the fact that a TPU tube filled with CO2 had lost pressure by the next morning mean the tube would lose pressure if filled with air?
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeauDL View Post
Does anyone know whether CO2 diffuses through TPU the way it does through butyl? Does the fact that a TPU tube filled with CO2 had lost pressure by the next morning mean the tube would lose pressure if filled with air?
Rene-Herse says not to use CO2 with TPU tubes, except for topping up. CO2 is soluble in rubber, so I would think it's logical that TPU would retain CO2 pressure better than rubber tubes.
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

So if you carry a tpu as a spare to save space, you have to carry a pump that overrides that space saving. But if you do run a tpu it’s safe to break out a co2 to top it off instead of using that pump? Probably just me but I don’t see the sense in that.
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

Probably just me but I don’t see the sense in that.[/QUOTE]

It makes perfect sense if you already carry a mini pump because you think using CO2 doesn't make any sense.