Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
The only way to know how it’ll work for you is by giving it a try. These things have different effects on different people. E.g. THC is known to help people fall asleep, but gives me terrible insomnia.

Very little experience with CBD by itself. Worth giving a shot IMO
Agree. My personal experience as someone who has had severe, chronic back pain as the result of an accident is that THC really has no effect on my pain. I have used some gummies that were a 5:1 CBC:THC ratio and noticed no help with pain either. But the "CBD for pain" gummies may be designed to be taken regularly, I don't know. Some strains make me sleepy and others not. I feel like there are just so many variables at play regardless of the purported strain.

Worth noting that whatever the state legality of CBD and THC, if you are prescribed any controlled substances it's best to talk to your doctor as you may be subject to urinalysis at some point and those gummies could be problematic.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
THC gummies are where it’s at. $5 for 50mg in Oregon. Replying for a friend.
Agree. Key lime pie version. Also replying for a friend.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:29 PM

Since this got dredged up. I have been using gummies that are Indica THC, CBD, and CBN, 1:1:1. I always buy the same brand, and I usually buy 4 packages of 10 each, which is a 40-day supply for me. I eat it 45 minutes before sleep, so I don't use heavy machinery or drive afterward.

We spend the summer in Wyoming, where cannabis is still illegal in any form. You can purchase Delta 8 and 9 products, which are derived from hemp and have a lower THC content, but they were okayish if I couldn't get anything else. I saved the Delta 9 containers and will put the cannabis gummies in them to take to Wyoming. A Delta 9 gummy smells just like its cannabis cousin.

Delta 8 and 9 will show on drug tests.

Edit, I see an Oncologist and a Rheumatologist, and they are okay with it. The Rheumatologist is actually more than okay with it because I don't need any NSAIDs that can damage my kidneys.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:51 PM

As to the "doesn't work for pain" comment, I think that's an overgeneralization.
There are numerous sources of "pain"-in my case, I have arthritis, 23 screws in one arm, and neuropathic pain from a spinal injury. THC doesn't do squat for bone pain, but it works pretty well for the neuropathic. CBD, not so much.
I make my own edibles from THC oil-in Va its legal to grow 4 plants (like a lifetime supply) but only possess one ounce and there is no enabling legislation for sales, either public or private (may change now that legislature is Dem controlled). So I give it away...
Process it by first sous vide the herb then infuse in coconut oil, which goes into brownies or gummies.
I'm fearful of Delta 8 because extraction is the wild west. Sort of like the vape cartridges that became popular with medical mj, the market soon was flooded with knockoffs containing toxic stuff.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:55 PM
Older Than You

I tried both the drops and gummies to help me sleep and pain from my fractured hip. I tried a number of different brands but found them all to be ineffective. It did seem like some of them worked initially but after a week or two I might as well be taking M&M'S.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:35 PM

was having trouble sleeping and mentioned it to my acupuncturist.

she gave me some gummies to try (Tre House 25mg HHC).

took a whole one and did not like the effect, felt a bit too energized. cut the dosage down to a half and had much better results. take it about an hour befor bedtime and notice a nice feeling of relaxation.

most nites I have no trouble dropping off and staying asleep for the entire night.

they're not all that cheap (~$40 for 20 gummies), but TH frequently offers sales and/or free shipping so that helps.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:36 PM

I've used THC as a complement to other pain relievers during gout flares; while I don't think it diminishes the level of pain, it does make it easier to deal with mentally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I agree that THC gummies are the solution. I have tried both CBD and THC and there's no comparison. 2mg gummies don't get you high but are outstanding at aiding sleep and helping with chronic pain. Of course, most states don't allow the sale of THC, so you have to get creative. When we travel to California or New York, I stock up.
Yep. I find CBD works well for sleep and muscle pain relief, but including THC improves the effectiveness. 2-5mg is enough to get those benefits without feeling high (which IMO is also a benefit )

Normally though I find something locally, but I've also been happy with Floyd's CBD gummies by mail, and Apothecanna is also a good resource (I've used their CBD cream with good results).

Last edited by dmitrik4; 02-19-2024 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:16 PM

This space has gone nuts. Not only are there different forms of CBD but there is also Delta 8, 9 and 10 and THCa and THCp, HHC, live resins, etc etc. All of that is legal here in Texas. More than anything the dosage is key. I prefer indica for sleep. For sure YMMV.

Last edited by nortx-Dave; 02-19-2024 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:48 AM

I tried both CBD and THC and neither helped my insomnia.
Lately I have being taking Taurine 1000mg twice a day and it seems to help.
It could be placebo effect which can be real with any of these things.
Old 02-20-2024, 02:04 PM

Be careful with the stuff. It can make you dizzy at the worst times, great to fall asleep yucky to crash in the shower. Also THC can increase anxiety at the worst time you need something to relax
Old 04-08-2024, 04:29 AM

To ensure quality, look for CBD products that are third-party tested and have transparent labeling. This can help you avoid any potential contaminants or misleading claims. As for price, it's a good idea to compare different brands and products to find the best deal without compromising on quality.
If you're considering using CBD for medical purposes, you might want to check out the requirements for medical cannabis in your area. Some places have specific regulations and guidelines for using CBD and other cannabis products for medical conditions. Overall, it's always a good idea to do your research and consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement regimen.

Last edited by Teluxora; 04-09-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:41 AM

I have a high tolerance to both CBD and THC, so I am using 2500mg CBD drops and smoke cannabis flower pretty regularly. I have a 33% level permanent physical disability stemming from a bad work accident, so I spent 2+ years on heavy pain killers and muscle relaxers. Once I started using cannabis again I quit all the pain pills and haven't touched them since.

I do have a hard time sleeping more than 4-6 hours without the CBD/THC. With them I consistently get at least 5-6 hours of sleep a night. Of course if I put in a hard effort on the bike then I sleep much better that night as well!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2024, 11:15 AM

On the sleep aspect: I’ve found that taking a few magnesium caplets in the evening really helps my sleep. I’ve tried skipping them and the results for me have been pretty consistent—I fall asleep more easily (although it’s still difficult) and sleep much more soundly. YMMV
Old 04-08-2024, 12:54 PM

I have such a weak tolerance for THC that I take just a quarter of a gummy - 2.5mg worth - and I'm glued to the couch. They also make me sleep for like 12 hours.

It's nice being a lightweight, it sure makes it an inexpensive treat once in a while when I am looking to veg out or sleep in late. I keep them in my fridge and a container of 10 lasts me many months.

They are legal here in VA which makes it convenient, and I like being able to purchase from a reputable source where I know what I'm getting.

Anyway, maybe I'll treat myself to one after this evening's yoga workout....
Old 04-11-2024, 12:40 PM

Not directly to your question, but if you're interested in better sleep, give the below a try:

https://www.hubermanlab.com/newslett...lkit-for-sleep

1) View sunlight by going outside within 30-60 minutes of waking. Do that again in the late afternoon, prior to sunset. If you wake up before the sun is out and you want to be awake, turn on artificial lights and then go outside once the sun rises.

On bright cloudless days: view morning and afternoon sun for 10 min; cloudy days: 20 min; very overcast days 30-60 min. If you live someplace with very minimal light, consider an artificial daytime simulator source.

Don’t wear sunglasses for this practice if you safely can, but contact lenses and eyeglasses are fine.

No, you don’t have to look directly at the sun, and never look at ANY light so bright it is painful to view! That said, you can’t wear a brimmed hat, sunglasses and remain in the shade and expect to “wake up” your circadian clock.

​2) Wake up at the same time each day and go to sleep when you first start to feel sleepy. Pushing through the sleepy late evening feeling and going to sleep too late (for you) is one reason people wake at 3 am and can’t fall back asleep.

3) Avoid caffeine within 8-10 hours of bedtime. Dr. Matt Walker (sleep expert from UC Berkeley) might even say 12-14 hours. I do fine with caffeine at 2 pm and I go to sleep at ~10-11 pm. Dr. Walker was on the Huberman Lab Podcast and we discussed this in detail.

4) If you have sleep disturbances, insomnia, or anxiety about sleep, try the research-supported protocols on the Reveri app (for iPhone). Do the Reveri sleep self-hypnosis 3x a week at any time of day. It’s only 10-15 min long and will help you rewire your nervous system to be able to relax faster.

5) Avoid viewing bright lights—especially bright overhead lights between 10 pm and 4 am. Here is a simple rule: only use as much artificial lighting as is necessary for you to remain and move about safely at night. Blue blockers can help a bit at night but still dim the lights. Viewing bright lights of all colors are a problem for your circadian system. Candlelight and moonlight are fine. (Shift workers should see the Huberman Lab Podcast on jetlag for offsetting shift work negative effects. Same for jetlagged travelers.)

6) Limit daytime naps to less than 90 min, or don’t nap at all. I love naps as do many of my colleagues. I tend to nap for 30 min most afternoons… maybe 45 min, but never longer.

7) If you wake up in the middle of the night (which, by the way, is normal to do once or so each night) but you can’t fall back asleep, consider doing an NSDR protocol when you wake up. Enter “NSDR” into YouTube and the top 3-4 options have different voices, durations for you to select from. Or simply do a “Yoga Nidra” protocol (enter “yoga nidra” to YouTube; 100s to select.)

8) You might consider taking (30-60 min before bed):

145mg Magnesium Threonate or 200mg Magnesium Bisglycinate
50mg Apigenin
100-400mg Theanine
(3-4 nights per week I also take 2g of Glycine and 100mg GABA.)
*I would start with one supplement (or none!) and then add one at a time as needed. Some people do not need any supplements, and some people like theanine but not magnesium, etc. so you have to determine what is best for you.

**Don’t take theanine if you have overly intense dreams, sleep-walk, or have night terrors.

***Also, some people (~5%), get an agitated stomach from magnesium supplementation, in which case, do not take it.

****I use supplements from Momentous for all of the above. You can get 20% off all Momentous supplements at https://www.livemomentous.com/huberman or you can pick another source you like and trust.

9) Expect to feel really alert ~1 hour before your natural bedtime. This is a naturally occurring spike in wakefulness that sleep researchers have observed.

Don’t freak out if it happens. It will pass!

10) Keep the room you sleep in cool and dark and layer on blankets that you can remove.

Your body needs to drop in temperature by 1-3 degrees to fall and stay asleep effectively. Body temperature increases are one reason you wake up. Thus, keep your room cool and remove blankets as needed. If it’s too hot you would have to use a cooling device and that’s harder than simply tossing off blankets if you get too warm.

11) Drinking alcohol messes up your sleep. As do most sleep medications.

This was discussed on the Huberman Lab Podcast Episode with Dr. Matt Walker.

12) Kids (and indeed all of us) have changing sleep needs over time. Adjust accordingly.

We might be night owls at 15 but become “morning people” as we age or need 6 hours a night in summer and 7-8 in winter. It will vary.