Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 10:15 AM

Clement Xplor MSO sidewall defect?

I mounted up a set of very low mileage Clement Xplor MSO tires on perfectly true Stans tubeless rims and they mounted up easily without any fuss to about 50 psi.

I did notice a wobble after mounting but my buddy said after riding that would probably smooth out. I didn't get a chance to ride far but did ride a few miles on the tires and still the wobble didn't smooth out.

This morning I deflated the tires until the seal was broken and then re inflated.
They sealed up again easily but still had the persistent wobble/hop.

Has this ever happened to anyone? This is my first foray into tubeless so not sure what to think at this point.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce View Post
I mounted up a set of very low mileage Clement Xplor MSO tires on perfectly true Stans tubeless rims and they mounted up easily without any fuss to about 50 psi.

I did notice a wobble after mounting but my buddy said after riding that would probably smooth out. I didn't get a chance to ride far but did ride a few miles on the tires and still the wobble didn't smooth out.

This morning I deflated the tires until the seal was broken and then re inflated.

Has this ever happened to anyone? This is my first foray into tubeless so not sure what to think at this point.
I can't say what's happening in your case but yes some tires (not many really) are bunk and won't seat correctly.

Can you see if the bead is in fact sitting proud at the point of the wobble and can you manhandle it into place?
Old 10-26-2020, 10:20 AM

Tubeless tires are for sure harder to seat evenly. Usually excessive pressure is enough to seat it but I'd put some alcohol or soapy water on the bead of the tire and then inflate it and see if you can manipulate it into place by hand.

There's of course a chance that the tire is defective, but that would not be my bet.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:30 AM

The weird thing is the bead around the rim appears to be seated squarely and even on all sides. When you look straight down on the tread pattern you can notice the tread takes a curve in the effected area.

The effected area is around the valve. How likely could it be the casing is defective or could impact deform the casing. I have had good luck with my tubular Donnelly cx tires.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:11 PM

3.2% chance it’s the tire.

Mark it with a sharpie, take the tire off, use soap on the beads, put it on facing the other direction in a different location and pump it up. If it’s still not running true in that specific area, it’s the tire and you can pursue convincing them to warranty it. It’s very likely that it’s technique, it’s incredibly rare to warranty a tire because it’s not true. The only tires I’ve seen warrantied were a batch of cotton tires where the tread was separating from the casing on a few separate customers in a single year.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce View Post

I've had this happen with MSO's before. The last set I bought had a pretty noticeable wiggle, one more so than the other. Re-mounded several times with no improvement. I reached out to Clement and they said the wobble isn't anything to worry about from a safety perspective but admitted they had some issues with a few of the batches and they would send me a replacement set, no questions asked at not cost. I got a brand new (and straight) pair in the mail a few days later and they said to keep the ones with the wobbles as spares. Good folks. Reach out and they will take care of you.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:49 PM

So I did remove the tire and marked the wobbly area. After it was
re inflated it exhibited the same wobbly area. It is fairly significant - you can definitely feel it while riding.

Thanks for the advice to reach out to Clement - email sent to them today.

FYI - I have had good luck with both their MSP and PDX tubular tires.
I will report back.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:46 PM

I'm glad you figured that out. Here's to hoping they just send a new one your way.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:23 PM

Clement Xplor MSO sidewall defect?

Super common with Clements, doesn’t affect the function. It can be a challenge to get them fully seated, soapy water helps, you can look at the mold line on the sidewall to see if it’s fully seated. Even so it can show a wobble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk