Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 01:15 PM

buy less upgrades ride up more grades.

In all seriousness, last year I ended by forcing myself to ride on the last day possible (before leaving for a vacation) just to hit an arbitrary mileage goal. I did it but the few weeks leading up to that were just work and the riding wasn't enjoyable. I'm glad I hit the goal after several years of missing them, but it wasn't fun.

This year I've far surpassed what I struggled to hit last year and even more so in 2018. This year, on average, I've added significantly more climbing per ride (~15-20% according to Strava data) and my rides are slightly longer. Compared to two years ago though, my average ride this year is 50% longer with 75% more climbing.

So much of my time on the bike depends on how much travel I do, so we'll see what 2021 brings. I plan to be thankful for whatever time I get on the bike and probably set some interim goals along the way (different variations of long rides in SoCal).

Last edited by KJMUNC; 10-26-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:17 PM

So much of 2021 goals is dependent on what's feasible given a number of things I have no control over.

I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

But the universe willing, lots of bike adventures.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:22 PM

Not to get Covid
Old 10-26-2020, 01:30 PM
aka RAEKWON

I am still signed up for DK200 so we will see if a/ I am in good shape enough to do it b/covid is behind us that I feel like its a good idea to do

that would be a great goal because if I am going to do it I will be in the best bike shape of my life and it will be something cool that I want to do 1 time and thats it.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:28 PM

This year was a reset for me.

My goals are simple:
  1. Get out of the house and onto my bike as much as possible
  2. Enjoy the rides more...keep the brain on the ride and less work
  3. Do a fun charity ride or two
  4. Find a new groupo and wheels and rebuild my 17-year-old Colnago
Old 10-26-2020, 05:07 PM
formerly Landshark_98

If conditions allow:

More riding around Bend.

10 days in the Alps with approx 82000 ft climbing in September (deferred from this year), which will require a lot of training with a lot of attention this winter to diet, flexibility and strength and probably a structured plan this Spring for increasing power.

Do some planning, put the bike in the car and go do a bunch of the rides on "our mother the mountain" (omtm.cc website).

stretch goal: reduce redundancy and lessen the # of bikes in the stable.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:07 PM
Administrator

oh and XC skiing. i'm hoping to learn to and experiment a little this winter with xc ski. reliable sources tell me it's an excellent complimentary winter activity to cycling.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:01 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
buy less upgrades ride up more grades.

This for me^.

To include McKenzie Pass [1st time] and Crater Lake [4th roll]

Last edited by robt57; 10-26-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:02 PM

Race
Faster
At 66
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200912_212047_689.jpg (153.9 KB, 121 views)
Old 10-27-2020, 04:53 AM

plans, goals, god

I make plans. god laughs.

Bought a NOS frame, look 585 optimum over the summer, and built it up with chorus sub compact and everything I could ever want for comfort and nice long rides.

Started riding. Short easy rides. Maybe ten building through august and September. Position on bike just perfect. Was using a good old set of wheels. Record hubs. Mavic rims.

Was so enthused by the ride of the bike I even ordered a second pair of wheels. Zonda. With a new slightly tighter cassette. 11-29. Dropped about 3 kilos.

That was mid September.

Started feeling a bit off. By the time the zonda wheels came, 29 September, I was feeling sick and never took them out of the box. Figured I had a cold. Started feeling better.

5 October : atrial fibrillations and a trip via ambulance to the emergency room. 180 bpm. This was a new thing for me. I’ve had cardiac problems for 20 years. Never this.

Because I was in the emergency room they tested me for covid-19 at the end of the day. Positive. So was in a section of hospital where they could treat the covid and watch my heart problems, reanimation.

Long story short. Tested negative for covid-19 on 15 October. Came home 21 October. Recovering at home. The covid responsible for the fibrillations. No new meds. No pacemaker. I feel lucky to be here. To have survived. I have cardiac problems, was overweight, and I’m 65. I thought on the night of 5 October that I was done for.

The next 3 weeks, easy walking. Rest. Then cardiologist told me I can start ‘easy’ cycling if I feel ok to do it.

My plan. Hopefully the winter will be mild enough to start cycling again. Last winter here in Montpellier was very mild. If not it will be indoors on the trainer. I lost over 17 lbs in hospital. It’s a lot, but I was way overweight. Still need to slowly lose another 10 kilos to get back to a normal weight for me. That’s another 20 lbs. That’s part of my plan for winter spring 2020/2021. Drop ten kilos over the next 6 months.

Still have a stovepipe of a steerer tube on the Look. Was about to cut it when I got sick. I will cut that down when I check position again and I know it’s right, and I have the strength to do it. It’ll take a while.

So. I have some plans. Eventually, long solo rides. Drop some weight. Try the zonda wheels. Just ride. Pleasure. Easy. Into the countryside. We’ll see what the future brings. We’ll see what god thinks about my plans.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by picstloup View Post
I make plans. god laughs.
Bought a NOS frame, look 585 optimum over the summer, and built it up with chorus sub compact and everything I could ever want for comfort and nice long rides.
Started riding. Short easy rides. Maybe ten building through august and September. Position on bike just perfect. Was using a good old set of wheels. Record hubs. Mavic rims.
Was so enthused by the ride of the bike I even ordered a second pair of wheels. Zonda. With a new slightly tighter cassette. 11-29. Dropped about 3 kilos.
That was mid September.
Started feeling a bit off. By the time the zonda wheels came, 29 September, I was feeling sick and never took them out of the box. Figured I had a cold. Started feeling better.
5 October : atrial fibrillations and a trip via ambulance to the emergency room. 180 bpm. This was a new thing for me. I’ve had cardiac problems for 20 years. Never this.
Because I was in the emergency room they tested me for covid-19 at the end of the day. Positive. So was in a section of hospital where they could treat the covid and watch my heart problems, reanimation.
Long story short. Tested negative for covid-19 on 15 October. Came home 21 October. Recovering at home. The covid responsible for the fibrillations. No new meds. No pacemaker. I feel lucky to be here. To have survived. I have cardiac problems, was overweight, and I’m 65. I thought on the night of 5 October that I was done for.

The next 3 weeks, easy walking. Rest. Then cardiologist told me I can start ‘easy’ cycling if I feel ok to do it.

My plan. Hopefully the winter will be mild enough to start cycling again. Last winter here in Montpellier was very mild. If not it will be indoors on the trainer. I lost over 17 lbs in hospital. It’s a lot, but I was way overweight. Still need to slowly lose another 10 kilos to get back to a normal weight for me. That’s another 20 lbs. That’s part of my plan for winter spring 2020/2021. Drop ten kilos over the next 6 months.

Still have a stovepipe of a steerer tube on the Look. Was about to cut it when I got sick. I will cut that down when I check position again and I know it’s right, and I have the strength to do it. It’ll take a while.

So. I have some plans. Eventually, long solo rides. Drop some weight. Try the zonda wheels. Just ride. Pleasure. Easy. Into the countryside. We’ll see what the future brings. We’ll see what god thinks about my plans.

SO happy to hear you came out the 'other side' alive. Scary stuff, I know. I have been dealing with AFIB for about 15 years..finally had a ablation.

"Just ride", good plan....Use Campagnolo, god will take care of ya.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

"Just ride", good plan....Use Campagnolo, god will take care of ya.
ha!

post of 2020!!
Old 10-27-2020, 06:37 AM

Well timed as I get ready to start thinking about resuming structured training. Been really mentally struggling with structured training after two back to back crashes a few years ago resulting in a pretty badly infected road rash (while on my honeymoon of all things) and a broken arm. This year my wife and I have been doing a lot of riding with just the two of us and no big events and it’s really made me miss my teammates and reignite the fire to race again.

Not reaching for any big goals other than being consistent with structured riding through the winter and maintaining my weight through the holidays.

As for travel, would love to get over to Italy or France but weddings in Hawaii and New Hampshire already in the books will likely not allow that if overseas travel is even safe.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:55 PM

Eroica California
Either Eroica Hispana or Eroica Brittania
SBT Gravel
Old 10-27-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
My goal the last 3-4 years has been a 5 Watt/kg FTP. I've come somewhat close at 4.54 coming into this winter. I plan to maintain my current fitness and dedicated 16 weeks of TrainerRoad and Zwift races after the new year to hit 5W/kg leading into next season with a combination of training and diet. 350w @ 70kg
I like this! I'm so close but only getting slower so I don't think I'll get there. Good luck.