Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 11:31 PM

Winter is coming - let's talk goals for 2021

* Disclaimer * - let's try to have this discussion without discussing that thing which shall not be mentioned which will probably be playing heavily in our minds as we think about whether and how and what type of training to do for events or experiences that may or may not be on offer this coming year..... Maybe that's asking too much. Whatever. I hope to have some discussion for at least a bit to start before the tall weeds and deep powder consume things.

I think 2021 is going to be the year of solo adventures and exploring for me, with some adventure-buddy happenings sprinkled in that adds some safety and camaraderie at an appropriate distance.

My high-level goals are to get in really good long-distance riding shape and to establish some healthier lifestyle practices around food and sleep and work-balance after what has been quite a stressful just-get-through-it last nine months or so.

I don't see myself doing mass-start events of any type - but maybe some semi-organized stuff will still happen. The brevet and ultra-endurance scene, on gravel or roads, seems like it works for these times - it's spread out and mostly self-supported. Maybe this is the year I learn to ride with aero-bars? Bikepacking/touring has some allure as well, for similar reasons. I'd love to do a 5-7 day trip out to the coast from Central OR, self-supported, solo-camping. Closer to home I imagine I'll do my usual set-a-time and try to beat it thing on local climbs and segments. I'll never get into the top-ten on anything around here but I can certainly try to make some personal gains.

What else.. Take more photos? Get better at eating enough and drinking enough on the bike? Stay healthy? Ride under the stars?

How bout the rest of you - are you already thinking about what next year is going to bring and how it might inspire more momentum and dedication to the trainer (or cross-training) over the winter?
Old 10-26-2020, 04:44 AM

I'm focused on getting ready nice and early for solo bikepacking trips in 2021 when the weather picks up. That includes working on my endurance fitness (including running - err!), perfecting my 'bike' setup, and carefully selecting my 'packing' gear.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:48 AM

- maintaining the weight loss I achieved for the Hincapie Fondo. It went ok but I set aside personal goals to ride it with my bro from CA.

- loving my BREW versatile road frameset and plan on doing the wheel-swap riding on whatever roads I find hopefully more unpaved.

- using the camping trailer more to discover other riding opportunities.

- thinking about upgrading my FS rig next year my Kona Process 111 is great however it's time for a new partner.

- turning 60 yesterday is a reminder that I have kept the engine running pretty well so far and continued maintenance is required for keeping that situation status quo I don't think it will improve much but that's ok.

- and lastly contentment is appreciating what I have rather than getting what I want and yes that applies to all bike purchases etc., just a zen-zone I'd like to embrace more.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:28 AM

Im gonna set up the trainer for the first time in a decade. Made the weight I want to be for the first time in years. Im slow but getting there. My two younger racer friends will actually ride with me on recovery days. Next year they are gonna have to work hard to drop my 64 year old carcass.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:42 AM
Administrator

If 2020 has taught us anything it's that even the best made, well intentioned plans can go right out the window in a moment. it's still too early for me to know what kind of 2021 i'm going to have, but realistically i've got a major backlog of travel that i'm going to need to get done, so i can see myself back on the road a lot.

that said, it's still kind of early to hang it all up and start thinking about next year, i'm in the best cycling fitness shape i have been in a few years and i'm still loking forward to some good fall rides before the cold of the winter kicks in here.

i still have to work out what my winter fitness routine is going to look like. i really am going to miss going to the gym for hard runs, intense rowing sessions and then stretching and zoning out in the sauna, but there is no way the gym is happening this winter - so i'm likely going to make some room in the basement to set up the trainer again, and i may have to also dust off my old concept-2.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:54 AM

I retired almost 8 weeks ago and have used the extra time to ride more, eat healthier, and it’s been great...down 19 lbs as of today.
I plan on maintaining my efforts and will ride lots more next season. Any large group functions will be wait and see unfortunately, and I won’t be planing any kind of travel until things are better.
I’ve never liked the indoor trainer thing, but with gyms closed, I might break out the rollers and give them a go when the weather doesn’t work for outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2020, 06:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Lose some weight, get back on the bike..stay healthy..(ride alone)...not much else 'bike' related.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:19 AM

I'm trying to keep the little fitness I picked up this summer. Trying to do the Nordic track every morning to get the blood flowing, back working with my homies on a new Habitat house (Saturday's cross training was with pneumatic breaker trying to take apart concrete steps) and hopefully solo rides through most of the winter. Lost 8-10 lbs over the summer--just more activity and a little less snacking.

I also have dug out the rollers that were buried so I hope to do stints on those as well.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:27 AM

Ride more, work a little less. Get away from collecting/hoarding steel, and just get back to enjoying life from the saddle. Lose about 25 pounds and get away from the junk food.
Make it to the range more, attempt to attend one PRS match.
Travel a bit with the wife (as much as we deem safe).
Old 10-26-2020, 06:28 AM

I have general goals of losing some weight, getting additional endurance on the bike, and pushing back down into the 20-21 minute range for running a 5k. But the uncertainty inherent in work (staying teaching in person or shifting to remote) and having a 1-year old means that larger, more specific goals aren't on the menu just yet. I've been good about the trainer in the past when living in Seattle and Utah, so I should be okay with it over the winter here.

I do want to build up a gravel/monstercross bike, though. That's the first specific goal for right now. Next is to figure out what bike to leave with my parents in NY, since it looks like we'll be headed there more frequently.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:51 AM

No gym this winter so will be assembling exercise equipment (Tacx Neo 2T, fans, 32" TV, online subscriptions, dumbells) and using that on those consecutive ugly days we get from late November through March.

Continue to take advantage of whatever decent rideable weather we get to layer on the outside3 miles.

Do more exploratory riding out in the boonies. I find myself doing the same rides over and over, need to break out of that and explore some new geography.

Looking forward to late 2021 or early 2022 when travel will be safe again. Lots of tours yet to be ridden.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:59 AM
ZhugeLiang

I ride year round here in Texas and I don't set goals.
So I will do what I always do.
Be spontaneous, be open, be ready.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:05 AM

Even with the challenges of this year, from a bike perspective, it's been my best since 2016 as far as distance, fitness, and weight. Still more to lose (about 35-40 down already), but that has motivated me to continue through winter, and hopefully make 2021 even better.

Lots of change this year as well, retired from active duty, and in the transition period before the next chapter starts, in a new city and country, so lots of challenges, and lots to explore, see and do. As much as I look forward to overseas travel again, if 2021 continues to restrict ease of travel, the wife and I will try and see as much of the province as possible.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:18 AM

Give gravel an honest try, keep my yearly mileage above 6K, don't put on any weight, do more weight lifting.
Get the house ready to either rent or sell, decide where I want to go to, prepare to retire at the beginning of 2022
Get back into making music.
That's enough for one year.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:23 AM

Ride more

I want to build my base..currently about 150 week. Want to get to 225 a week.

Gonna build more lean muscle, working on my “diet” not a weight loss but healthier diet plan. More strength training.

Gonna try and get 50mi/week in the Kayak.

Planning a bunch or rides... actually organized events. I’ve done 2 recently and I think they are manageable with some basic safety measures... my sense is we are going to figure out how to live with the “Virus”

That’s the move side of my goals. I’ve plagued my weight at the lowest since my 30’s, twice that now so not likely I’ll get any lighter, so make what I have “better”

Ray