Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 03:53 PM

Who did the supplemental B-tension flat-head boost screw modification to the derailer hanger? Was this for use with a huge cassette using a derailer having a lower cog-size limit?

Such use of boosted b-tension to clear huge cassette cog will leave a big chain gap at the small end of the cassette, which bodes poorly for chain control.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Who did the supplemental B-tension flat-head boost screw modification to the derailer hanger? Was this for use with a huge cassette using a derailer having a lower cog-size limit?

Such use of boosted b-tension to clear huge cassette cog will leave a big chain gap at the small end of the cassette, which bodes poorly for chain control.

Sorry I’m not sure what this means. I purchased it this way brand new at the LBS.

The casette is 11-28

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2020, 04:24 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I am reminded of when I tried a 14-28 cassette on my Addict LTD.

I did not realize the round chain stay on the inboard side came back so far.

In fact the very inside end of the chainstay was just between two of the 14 cog's teeth.

In the stand I wanted to shift and see if I needed a trim and the pedal would not move.

If I had put this wheel in on the ground and got on the bike and stood on the pedal that might have been the end of the LTD as I knew it.

And like this Pin, quite high up on the spensive frameset food chain... $7k MSRP in 2008...
Old 10-26-2020, 06:43 PM
Randomhead

That hanger is a hoot. There are some Shimano derailleurs that require an extra something there for the b screw to work. I think they ship with a wedge that hooks onto the mounting bolt. I hate it.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:53 AM

Verdict

Had multiple mechanics / my LBS (pin dealer) look at it

The issue seems to be cosmetic and will not effect the structural integrity of the bike.

He stated we can look into seeing it it could be a warranty issue, but I’m not sure I want to go through the full hassle for just an eyesore of a blemish. I’ll save the warranty process for more invasive issues

Thanks everyone for your responses!
Old 10-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by drejb View Post
Verdict

Had multiple mechanics / my LBS (pin dealer) look at it

The issue seems to be cosmetic and will not effect the structural integrity of the bike.

He stated we can look into seeing it it could be a warranty issue, but I’m not sure I want to go through the full hassle for just an eyesore of a blemish. I’ll save the warranty process for more invasive issues

Thanks everyone for your responses!
Good news. The 1st ding on a new bike is the hardest. Peace of mind is priceless.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
You are still using your Computrainer too? I just ERG-VID re-subscribed anticipating wet/cold daze.

I also have a few wet bikes otherwise [and lots of room] so the Sirrus has not been off that frame for years...
Wrong Greg. I gave my ct away before moving south, have had a kickr for a while.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:03 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Wrong Greg. I gave my ct away before moving south, have had a kickr for a while.
Well at least it speaks for my memory being intact to a degree. Remembering Gregs, not so much?
Old 10-27-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
Seriously do not put JB Weld on your carbon Pinarello.
JB Weld is actually pretty good for this type of repair. I also like some of the Epocast line. They are specialty epoxies for the composite aerospace market. 1633 is good for this sort of thing, and is FAA certified for filling misdrilled holes in composite structures.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:28 PM

Did they give you the cause of why this happened?

If it was an issue with the derailleur adjustment, I might actually have followed up with a claim. Or at the very least have the shop fix it...

Like others, I'm sure epoxy would be fine. I would also recommend G-flex epoxy. It's used a lot in marine applications and snowboarders love it. It tends to be a little bit more flexible than regular jb weld so it's better suited for a purpose like this imho.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:51 PM

You all are right, I for sure misunderstood the possible uses of JB weld. That seems like it would be fine for a repair like this.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:55 PM

Rear stay damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Did they give you the cause of why this happened?

If it was an issue with the derailleur adjustment, I might actually have followed up with a claim. Or at the very least have the shop fix it...

Like others, I'm sure epoxy would be fine. I would also recommend G-flex epoxy. It's used a lot in marine applications and snowboarders love it. It tends to be a little bit more flexible than regular jb weld so it's better suited for a purpose like this imho.

It was hard for them to determine exactly what happened.

He didn’t mind sending it in for me to go through the process. But it would be weeks before they determine what caused the issue, and after all that they may not even cover it due to it being something I may have done. At the end of the day (even if they chose to replace it) I’d be out a bike for a few months and the next time I need warranty would be a little more of an invasive / thorough process since it was already used.

That’s what I’ve been told by a few different reps.

Not worth it to me for a scratch, maybe a cracked frame.

Last edited by drejb; 01-01-2021 at 03:33 PM.