Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 12:57 PM
commuter racer

Any issues running a Centaur 11, 12-32 cassette with a Chorus mid cage RD?

So I've been dragging my feet on rebuilding this bike. The ten speed Centaur lasted about ten years, but finally got yanked off this favorite frame of mine. I have a chorus 11 group ready to go, and an 11 speed CX crank already installed. To get some lower gears I thought of using a mid cage RD plus a 32 large cog (Potenza or Centaur) in the back for some of our monster hills. Are all 11 speed cassettes compatible? This is a not hydro group obviously..
Also would a chorus 12 drive train work well w/ this crank? I don't feel like replacing it as it's new.
Thanks!

Last edited by shinomaster; 04-03-2023 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:08 PM
aka RAEKWON

Will work perfectly.

Nice frame
Old 10-25-2020, 02:31 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Will work perfectly.

Nice frame
Thanks! It got pretty chewed up racing cross but I decided not to get it repainted now as it's a commuter/ "Gravel Bike".
Old 10-25-2020, 03:22 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Thanks! It got pretty chewed up racing cross but I decided not to get it repainted now as it's a commuter/ "Gravel Bike".
looks good from here and what a better looking bike than a bike that has seen some miles
Old 10-25-2020, 03:53 PM

11-32 and mid cage should work with correct length chain even with 34-50. shimano cogset should work, best to try it, it might make some noise but the spacing will be correct. Crank should work with 12.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It's a beautiful patina on a cool bike.

W.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:24 AM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
It's a beautiful patina on a cool bike.

W.
Thanks Partner, this is probably my all time favorite bike and I have many fond memories associated with it.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:25 AM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisroph View Post
11-32 and mid cage should work with correct length chain even with 34-50. shimano cogset should work, best to try it, it might make some noise but the spacing will be correct. Crank should work with 12.
Why would a compact crank matter? The one I have on is a 34/50, and the chain would be installed new.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:28 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Why would a compact crank matter? The one I have on is a 34/50, and the chain would be installed new.
it wouldn't. With a mid cage derailleur you can use that RD with any crank chainring setup with no problem.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
So I've been dragging my feet on rebuilding this bike. The ten speed Centaur lasted about ten years, but finally got yanked off this favorite frame of mine. I have a chorus 11 group ready to go, and an 11 speed CX crank already installed. To get some lower gears I thought of using a mid cage RD plus a 32 large cog (Potenza or Centaur) in the back for some of our monster hills. Are all 11 speed cassettes compatible? This is a not hydro group obviously..
Also would a chorus 12 drive train work well w/ this crank? I don't feel like replacing it as it's new.
Thanks!
I run a similar set up on my DS - Chorus 11 shifters, Chorus midcage RD, SR 50/34 crank with Centaur 12-32 11 speed cassette and it works flawlessly.

With everyone going with a 9t or 10t first cog, I appreciate that Campy still offers the Centaur with a 12t first cog as it adds a 16t cog that i find way more useful than a smaller first cog.

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
Old 10-26-2020, 11:44 AM
Administrator

just stopped in to say that is a beautiful bike. i love the grey panels. they look perfect.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:14 AM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
just stopped in to say that is a beautiful bike. i love the grey panels. they look perfect.
Hey thanks Angry Scientist and everyone for all the help! I can't wait to get this bike back onto the road/trails.