Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce22 View Post
We attempted to work with Santana to utilize their design, unfortunately as it was designed to support tandem tube lengths/spans, it was overbuilt for our application and did not allow passage of the Brake Break. It's obviously a similar design - an interlocking coupler (nothing novel), but with a scarf-style design to interlock in across the vertical and horizontal axis.
Thanks Bryce

Best of luck with it all. Looks amazing.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:53 PM

i'd be curious how well these will sell, it seems, based on casual observation that the latest trend is to travel with a full sized bike in a case rather than a dedicated travel bike. with more and more bikes going to hydro disc, this certainly seems to make sense, coupled (haha) with a few of the major airlines dropping oversized bag fees for sports equipment, including bicycles.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
... with a few of the major airlines dropping oversized bag fees for sports equipment, including bicycles.
I think an often overlooked advantage of the coupled system is that the luggage is compact and easy to travel with. I rode PBP the last two times, first with a regular bike in a full case, then with an S&S bike. The first time, I had to pick a hotel near the start, used a shuttle bus to and from, and just did day trips into Paris. The second time, I was able to use the subway from the airport, picked areas of the city to stay before and after the ride, and had little problem moving around using public transport with a backpack and the S&S case. No way you could do this with a full size case.

I have also brought my bike along on business trips, then add a few days on either end for a cycling vacation. Again, no way I could do this with a full sized case, no matter the flight fees.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
I think an often overlooked advantage of the coupled system is that the luggage is compact and easy to travel with. I rode PBP the last two times, first with a regular bike in a full case, then with an S&S bike. The first time, I had to pick a hotel near the start, used a shuttle bus to and from, and just did day trips into Paris. The second time, I was able to use the subway from the airport, picked areas of the city to stay before and after the ride, and had little problem moving around using public transport with a backpack and the S&S case. No way you could do this with a full size case.

I have also brought my bike along on business trips, then add a few days on either end for a cycling vacation. Again, no way I could do this with a full sized case, no matter the flight fees.
^^^This^^^ I've brought a full-size bike along on business and personal trips on many occasions. I've either shipped the bike ahead to my destination or checked it as oversize baggage on the airlines. Either way, it was a PIA. I had to worry if the case would fit in a shuttle, taxi/uber, or rental car. It was a hassle hauling it through airports. If I were still traveling for work a great deal, I would definitely have a coupled bike.

Greg
Old 09-09-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Mike View Post
Thanks for all the comments and interest in this, everyone. And maybe let's all just exhale and take a step back.

Yes, the "Brake Break" exists for other hydraulic hose applications. Allegations of our "marketing mumbo jumbo" aside, in our own website we describe it as "borrowing its construction from motorcycle motorsports brake hose quick-disconnects". We took something that was proven in other hydraulic brake applications and had it sized to work with bicycle brake hoses. We're not messing around with AliExpress parts in brake lines, and I don't know that there's such a coupler that will easily work with bicycle brake fittings, but if there are other solutions to the rear brake coupling problem that you want to use that's great.

Our intent with this coupler option was to deliver the most refined coupler solution available, and I think we've nailed it. It's strong, quiet, easy to use without special tools and opens up the option of running hydraulic discs where that option didn't really exist before. In the end, we get to make what I think is a better coupler bike in every way, and the rider of that bike benefits from those improvements.

This is a key refinement in several areas that we're very proud of, but that's all it is.
I believe it’s brilliant, shows a lot of R&D, and I really appreciate your posting this comment as well as your other explanation. I must admit, I want one.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Agree....Travel bike which means probably not your main ride, just something to smash around on for a few days..I think something like a Ritchey(less $ for a whole frame/fork) or S&S, which includes the suitcase, is a 'better' idea. BUT very elegant design..Altho the QR hydro things 'probably' work well..if they DON'T, you are pretty stuck..ain't gonna bleed the brakes in your hotel room..

IF I were to travel with a bike, I'd opt for a Ritchey cross, canti bike..slam it around, ride anywhere..simple, cheaper.

IMHO
100% agree, but I’m not sure if the Breakaway canti is still available, not new from Ritchey these days.

Last edited by nickl; 09-09-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post

^^this, again^^ I commuted to SF from Indianapolis, often taking my Breakaway. There were times the Breakaway case had difficulty fitting in the back end of a small Uber. If traveling with a full size bike in a box, it wouldn't have fit. I expect the same is even more true in Europe where cars are smaller still. If I packed intelligently, I could pack a weeks worth of clothes inside the Ritchey case, adding more protection and eliminating another bag.

I'm moving towards downsizing and drawing closer to the idea of n=1. For those who travel, this No22 coupler system, combined with an all-road bike, n=1 becomes even more achievable.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:54 AM

Appreciate the thoughtful responses from Mike and Bryce. Keep doing what you're doing.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucieli View Post
Appreciate the thoughtful responses from Mike and Bryce. Keep doing what you're doing.
You're quite welcome. Thanks to all for the questions and interest on this one.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:54 PM

Sold the Ritchey breakaway Ti after realizing that i can travel with any of my 54cm bikes with the Orucase ninja and have the same benefits as a “coupled”bike.

Recently purchased a POST bag and expect the same ease of traveling, if not more, compared to the Orucase.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsmd View Post
Sold the Ritchey breakaway Ti after realizing that i can travel with any of my 54cm bikes with the Orucase ninja and have the same benefits as a “coupled”bike.

Recently purchased a POST bag and expect the same ease of traveling, if not more, compared to the Orucase.
If anyone is interested in a Orucase I have a new one that unfortunately I’ll probably not be able to use. Will sell at a healthy discount compared to a new one. PM if interested.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:55 PM

I hope that this isn't bringing up a dead thread, but I saw on instagram that Paragon Machine Works is now offering the Santana Z Coupler (through a license with Santana). For those who are as fascinated by licensing as I am, Paragon notes that Santana reserves exclusive right to use the Z Coupler for tandem bike applications.

https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...-8-tubing.html

Now I really want to know whether this system will be superior to the Ritchey breakaway versus the S&S Coupler systems. As in, will it be easier to manage ride quality? Is it as robust as the S&S system? Etc.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDFWrider View Post
I hope that this isn't bringing up a dead thread, but I saw on instagram that Paragon Machine Works is now offering the Santana Z Coupler (through a license with Santana). For those who are as fascinated by licensing as I am, Paragon notes that Santana reserves exclusive right to use the Z Coupler for tandem bike applications.

Now I really want to know whether this system will be superior to the Ritchey breakaway versus the S&S Coupler systems. As in, will it be easier to manage ride quality? Is it as robust as the S&S system? Etc.
Does the top and down tubing also have to be 6/4 titanium?
Old 10-26-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
Does the top and down tubing also have to be 6/4 titanium?
They also make stainless couplers for steel frames.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDFWrider View Post

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the Santana patent?