Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2020, 06:47 PM

Nice. I've had 2 bikes with S&S couplers and although they don't look that great, they were solid and really easy to assemble/disassemble. This design is a lot cleaner and if you want to run hydro discs, this is the way to go. Once most of the major airlines stopped charging extra for bikes, I sold my travel bike and just started bringing my "regular" bike on trips. I will say a travel case for a coupled bike is a lot easier to haul around then a full sized case.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:08 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
That’s correct I believe. I saw it at NAHBS and it looked slick. Better looking than the S&S couplers, which I have and work well.
I saw it at Interbike in 2016. It looked slick back then. Always thought it would be perfect for a road frame.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:29 PM
ZhugeLiang

I like the clean lines.

One of the selling points of the S&S coupling is that it's accessible to any framebuilder who is competent enough to install the coupling on a customer's bike, same with the Ritchey Breakaway.

Is the No.22 coupling system the same in terms of accessibility or does it require special tooling and fabrication?
Old 09-08-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I like the clean lines.

One of the selling points of the S&S coupling is that it's accessible to any framebuilder who is competent enough to install the coupling on a customer's bike, same with the Ritchey Breakaway.

Is the No.22 coupling system the same in terms of accessibility or does it require special tooling and fabrication?
My guess is no- the fitting is machined into the tubes on this one.

I'm wondering if this design will limit tube spec. Do they have to use the harder 6/4 ti? Does the tubing have to be thicker walled in that location? I suppose the Sand S limits things too. You would not want ultra thin wall tubing.

I do think it looks clean but the machining is very complex-they even use that word to describe it. The S and S is much simpler in both installation and function-non-standard tool notwithstanding. I have them on a 15 year-old tandem and those threads spin as smooth as new. The joint is so solid you could probably get away with hand tight.

I disagree that the Sand S are unsightly, but part of that is perspective-If you think of the couplers as part of the bike they look cool in my mind. Any attempt to hide couplers is bound to fall short. With the No. 22 you can still see the seam. Plus, having a single screw holds it together seems a little odd. But since I dont know exactly how the wedge action they describe works I'll assume it's structurally okay.

Not to go all negative- I think its an interesting design and likely a viable option.

Last edited by marciero; 09-08-2020 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
wow, that's really cool, and pretty innovative of them.

to be honest, i'm a little skeptical of the whole thing as it looks pretty complex, which is usually not the friend of the frequent traveller. it sounds good, but quick disconnects for hydraulic brakes, all this internal routed kit and a very intricate geometry at the interface is just a recipe for a LOT going on to deal with in a hotel room at 3AM before the big ride tomorrow.

i know that cost is a very subjective thing, but IMO, some things are just getting out of hand, especially for a travel bike. my opinion is, and always has been, that a travel bike will get beaten up, tossed around, dented, dinged and abused as part of the travel process.

this is a 1200 dollar upgrade to a standard Ti frame price from 22 - so it's a damned expensive bike to throw in a case and hope TSA is gentle with.

i'm not giving them a hard time, and i think it's awesome that they are re-thinking old tech, i'd like to hear some real world travel reports on these!
Agree....Travel bike which means probably not your main ride, just something to smash around on for a few days..I think something like a Ritchey(less $ for a whole frame/fork) or S&S, which includes the suitcase, is a 'better' idea. BUT very elegant design..Altho the QR hydro things 'probably' work well..if they DON'T, you are pretty stuck..ain't gonna bleed the brakes in your hotel room..

IF I were to travel with a bike, I'd opt for a Ritchey cross, canti bike..slam it around, ride anywhere..simple, cheaper.

IMHO
Old 09-08-2020, 06:48 AM

Cycling Tips said it adds 140g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Looks slick! Thanks for posting. Any idea of added weight?

Last edited by fa63; 09-08-2020 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:49 AM

that is Santana's coupling system. Been available to builders for many years, glad somebody starting using it.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:52 AM
aka RAEKWON

I think its very neat. S&S couplers are ugly and heavy, this almost looks like a normal bike and imo a better design than ritchey. However I still think S&S looks sturdier and as Angry mention seems to be easier to put together. I bet they will make something to protect the frame while its in transit otherwise I could see the intricate system bending a bit and not fitting together.

As far as money goes, yes I would not spend this kind of cash on a travel bike but I also probably would not buy a NO22 brand new because its just out of my price range, if someone already dropping big coin on a bike, $1200, although a lot its not crazy if they are going to travel a lot (and this is the ultimate 1 bike so instead of having 1700 hundress bikes, they could just have 1 reallllly nice bike and travel with it, ti is a good material for travel but I would still be nervous... TSA sucks and things break and go missing).

The hydro system is awesome though, I have travelled with hydro discs and even though it was fine, it woulda been REALLY nice to split the line and I am into this. Apparently something already existed in the moto world but nice to see it coming to the bike side. And here is probably the first good thing about internal routing, can fit those big hydro splitters inside the DT.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
and elegant. wondering about those sharp teeth and the chances those will be susceptible to break or bend? wonder if they will license?
This was my first thought as well but if thats not an issue than it wonderfull looking

Im bit worried bout creaks to, thats an advantage with threaded solution. Or so i would think.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I was able to stop by the shop the other day and see this new setup. It is awesome and really well thought out. From their blog. https://22bicycles.com/blogs/news/in...e9JDj-L0GP0Z6c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow. Awesome.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:27 AM
Administrator

personally speaking, i think S&S couplers look great. sort of an industrial functionality type look. i love them.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:33 AM

Santana's couplers:
https://santanatandem.com/couplers/
Old 09-08-2020, 07:58 AM

Very cool and elegant. While a traditional coupler works too, it doesn’t go with their frames at all. This is a perfect solution and seems extremely well executed.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:31 AM

I love the tech and the clean look, but with anything new, time will tell how it holds up. As mentioned, the traveling abuse is one thing, but what about the riding? It looks like they stand the chance of bending and coming apart a bit just from a year or two worth of good days in the saddle. The S&S couplers are burly and seem to able to stand up to the abuse.

Definitely rooting for No. 22 and the design as I love their frames.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:37 AM

Can anyone hazard a guess about how they make the couplers? Is that a tube that has been shaped with CNC?

I've always hesitated about getting a bike with S&S couplers, as it reminded me too much of an earthworm.

Last edited by NewDFWrider; 09-08-2020 at 08:39 AM.