Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 08:13 AM

Recommendation for a new saddle

I'm a big boy, 6''4" and 220. My lady calls my behind the JB (juicy butt).

I'm doing a build and have been using the San Marco Regal on my previous builds - AKA the Belgium cushion - AKA the saddle of Boonen and LeMond.

Any big boys with other saddle recommendations?
Old 10-27-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33 View Post

I'm doing a build and have been using the San Marco Regal on my previous builds - AKA the Belgium cushion - AKA the saddle of Boonen and LeMond.

I’m 6’3” and 215. I used Regals decades ago. I’ve been using Fizik saddles for the last 10 years or so. I like the Arione shape. I used an Aliante briefly and thought the wings too wide — they would dig into my thighs. The Ariones I currently use are the old “Kurve” snakes that were made a few years ago, with the mobius single rails borrowed from Brooks (owned by same holding company). I really like those saddles. I may have an extra one with brass rails, NIB, stashed away if you are looking. I’d have to check.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:31 AM

I'm only 5'10" but at 205 lbs I bought my first SMP Glider. I've lost 10% of the weight but kept the Gliders on all my bikes but one - SMP Stratos. Big fan of SMP.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:00 AM
Vendor

I've been using a Selle Repente Spyd 2.0 saddle. Without a cutout. I love it. I had been a LONG TIME Selle Italia Flite and them SLR user. While they were always great, if I got a new one or hadn't ridden in awhile, I would slide around and fidget a bit till I got comfortable. I've never had that on this saddle EVER. It's been perfect. Even after not riding for months, I've never fidgeted on it. Very cool saddle. I'm 6'3 and 250 right now(haven't ridden in awhile).
Old 10-27-2020, 11:58 AM
Registered (ab)User

I don't have any recommendations for a particular make/model saddle, but I do have a suggestion for anyone once they have finally found their holy grail saddle:

- Buy a dozen of them, before they're discontinued.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:04 PM

I am 210-235 depending on the time of year and exclusively use Berthoud Soulor/Galibier saddles. Only difference between the two is the rails are stainless/titanium. Hands down my favorite saddle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I've been using a Selle Repente Spyd 2.0 saddle. Without a cutout. I love it. I had been a LONG TIME Selle Italia Flite and them SLR user.
This saddle actually looks like a contender - question: do you know where to get them? Seems overseas is the only choice.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:05 PM

I'm going to recommend SMP saddles as well. They look weird as all hell but they're supremely comfortable. Def takes a while to get the angle right. I honestly don't want to ride anything else.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:24 PM
Vendor

Quote:
This saddle actually looks like a contender - question: do you know where to get them? Seems overseas is the only choice.

This was a slightly self-serving post since I sell these. But was honest with my assessment of them. I've sold them to others who've said the same thing as me. They are very light, have a great unique shape and just work well.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:22 PM

Sent you a PM before 6pm EST.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:00 PM

I am about your size and I recently strayed away from the Regal-E to try a Fizik tempo Argo or something like that. Not for me. Soon to hit the classifieds.

If the shape of the Regal works they have carbon railed versions of the regal e that are light enough. Also the bontrager montrose has a similar shape to the regal.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Find a shop that has a SMP saddle demo program and try some of those. Ugly but VERY comfy for this ‘big boy’. I’ve never had ‘sleepy winky’, not why I tried it but very comfy saddle plus a Ba-Zillion models.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:45 AM

Saddle fitting?

As part of a bike fitting at a Spesh house they fitted me to a saddle, initially it was a Spesh Toupe, in a subsequent fitting it ended up being a Power. Previously I had a too wide saddle and then based on the fit the second time, they noted my “movement” in the saddle and recommended a Power. That said, if the width is right, I can be comfy on a lot of saddles but tend to like flatter ones.

Not sure if you have had a professional fitting latter but it might help

Best

Ray
Old 10-28-2020, 06:12 AM

"juicy butt" and "sleepy winky"...bike forums are getting way too weird lately!

Tim