Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Bumping this thread because I don't think the world needs another gravel tire thread and this thread title fit the bill.

I have lots of miles on Bon Jon Pass 700x35 ELs. I have a hard time believing I'll find a better tire for mostly paved and gravel riding. But, they are expensive and I kinda have a thing for tires. I also have and love the GravelKing slick (regular, not "plus") tires in 32 and 35.

I'm curious if anyone has tried the WTB Exposure 700x36 or Challenge Strada Bianca 700x36 (not the more expensive handmade model). Both are listed as weighing ~355g, which is the same as the 700x35 GravelKing and regular casing Bon Jon.

The Exposure looks good on paper, but I thought the Horizons and Byways were dogs so I'm a little leery. My only experience with Challenge tires were the 700x27 PRs that felt great, but were very difficult to mount and I never had as many flats with a pair of tires. But, that was almost ten years ago and with tubes.

Anyone have experience on the Exposure 36 or Strada Bianca 36 TLR?
honestly in the category you are seeking, light smooth roadish 35c tires, i dont think it gets any better than the RH with a close second to the GK's, any of those other tires are going to feel not as supple and slower IMO, maybe the Challenge could be close, but not likely better.

FWIW, i'm rolling on a set of wtb expanse tires that are pretty darn nice on my gravel bike, but those are 32 only.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I also have bon jons, they have low miles but great so far. I would probably just get another set if I was you
My Bon Jons aren't even worn out yet. They just happen to be off the wheels and I have an irrational drive to try tires for myself. I'll be honest, there is no good reason I am tire shopping this morning.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
My Bon Jons aren't even worn out yet. They just happen to be off the wheels and I have an irrational drive to try tires for myself. I'll be honest, there is no good reason I am tire shopping this morning.
How many miles can you reasonably get out of EL version of 32/35mm Bon Jons? How about their puncture resistance? Have been curious about them...
Old 10-27-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Anyone have experience on the Exposure 36 or Strada Bianca 36 TLR?
yes. i've had Exposure 36s on my Checkpoint a couple months. i like them well enough - have been mostly on paved as i don't know where the gravel is around here yet.
i have previously run Strada Bianca (non-tubeless, 30mm) and they were fine too, seemed to be more flat prone than the WTBs have been thus far.
prior to those, i had some Vittoria Open Pave 27s... basically same riding, road, hardpack dirt, gravel.
definitely leaning toward the larger tires these days, i don't see why i'd really do anything narrower than a 32 anymore.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
How many miles can you reasonably get out of EL version of 32/35mm Bon Jons? How about their puncture resistance? Have been curious about them...
I'm not sure. Mine probably have under a thousand miles. The tread doesn't feel thick but it doesn't feel thick on a new tire. When cleaning out some dried sealant in them last week I noticed several very hard little nubs of dried Orange Seal on the inside of the contact patch. I'm inclined to think these were sealed punctures but I can't say for sure. I can say I've never had a flat with this pair of tires.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:04 PM

700 x 35

Conti GP Urban, 700 x 35, <350 gm, wide, light, tough, good feel, no knobs
Old 10-28-2020, 08:53 AM

I've got a set of the 700x32 gravel kings (smooth) and they're outrageously good on gravel & dirt, way more than I'd expect a smooth tire to be.

I'd be tempted to try the 700x35s next.

I have run the Challenge Gravel Grinder in 700x38, they had file tread in teh middle and lugs on the outside.

The 700x32 gravel kings give up very little in the dirt and roll tremendously faster on fast stuff.

The Compass/rene herse tires are just panaracers with custom spec.. basically less rubber and lighter everything, less flat resistance, higher price. They are not bad tires but they're just panaracers with different selections and a different label.

I'm personally a little scared of the compass tires cause I've been on rides where people had apocalyptic levels of repeat flatting on them. Never had a flat on my panaracers, but they're definitely heavier.

Last edited by benb; 10-28-2020 at 08:58 AM.