Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 07:25 AM

I always need the smallest or next to smallest frame size. I've got a lot of experience with bikes having a HTA around 71 degrees and plenty of trail. It's simply not a problem that if even noticed, is easy to get accustomed to.

Reach is reach and shouldn't be confused by stem length. Straight bar bikes and mountain bikes may have a long reach, but that should be expected, since there's no added handlebar reach or brake hood reach.

A bike having a relatively short stem as delivered is common, since most buyers of stock frames don't want an overly aggressive position. That has nothing to do with the frame reach, since it's easy to change, unless the bike has integrated bars. Then the dealer needs to change them out, along with longer brake hoses.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:45 AM

Does Moots still offer the next size up headtube extension? I had one of the first generation Routt bikes that was a 55cm with a 56cm headtube. It sounds like the Routt 45 with that option in your size would be the kind of bike you are looking for!

I'd offer up my Mosaic, but I am not sure the stand over would work! The Routt bikes tend to have a tall stack and short reach. They are efficient and comfortable as well! Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
At the risk of offending purists, as a tall stack needing person, this is how I am running my Supersix - Kalloy Uno 17 degree stem flipped up. It's a frameset with a 55cm ETT, like my Bingham, but with 551mm of stack instead of the 603mm of the Bingham. But the contact points are the same.

Even if you go custom (or production) this is a very low cost experiment to ensure your next bike is what really works for you. There's no other realistic way I could ride a Supersix...which I really enjoy doing
20 years ago my lbs did the same kind of thing for me. He put some kind of head tube extender in, then put a stem on which angles up like yours. I was coming off two spine surgeries. Worked fine. I adapted to handling fine. Since then, I am much more limber but that was a low cost fix. At the time that was my 1st "real " road bike. I did not know any different, just knew it worked.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:48 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Reach is reach and shouldn't be confused by stem length. Straight bar bikes and mountain bikes may have a long reach, but that should be expected, since there's no added handlebar reach or brake hood reach.

A bike having a relatively short stem as delivered is common, since most buyers of stock frames don't want an overly aggressive position. That has nothing to do with the frame reach, since it's easy to change, unless the bike has integrated bars. Then the dealer needs to change them out, along with longer brake hoses.
I don't think it's as easy as that with modern gravel bikes.. many manufactures have said they has lengthened the top tops (and thus reach, at least fwd of the bb) and are using shorter stems because of it.. so I'm pretty sure you can't compare a road frame designed around a 100mm stem with a gravel frame designed around a 70mm stem in an apples to apples comparison and just say "change your stem".. for me, it still gets a little confusing as I'm used to fitting around a design philosophy of a 100mm stem on a road bike and adjust from there.. when you give me a gravel bike that's a "medium/54" (yes, I know your thoughts on bike sizing) and it has a reach of 390 or 400mm, that is just hard to compute in my head on how that might fit me..
Old 05-02-2024, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
so I'm pretty sure you can't compare a road frame designed around a 100mm stem with a gravel frame designed around a 70mm stem in an apples to apples comparison and just say "change your stem"..
As far as fit, this is exactly what I do, and it is the beauty of reach. I know my 56 road bike has a reach of 398 and I use a 100mm stem. If I am looking at a gravel bike with a reach of 410, I know a 90mm stem will get me very close the the same fit (assuming the same bar).

Stack and reach make it very easy to compare, even across different types of bikes.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
As far as fit, this is exactly what I do, and it is the beauty of reach. I know my 56 road bike has a reach of 398 and I use a 100mm stem. If I am looking at a gravel bike with a reach of 410, I know a 90mm stem will get me very close the the same fit (assuming the same bar).

Stack and reach make it very easy to compare, even across different types of bikes.
fair enough.. I guess my experience with a Giant Revolt has jaded me as I just couldn't make that bike fit, regardless of what I did with the stem.. maybe that's a nod to Dave's thoughts on sizing in modern bikes as I was on the size I normally would have been..

also, I apologize as I may have totally derailed this thread.. sorry!

Last edited by fourflys; 05-02-2024 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:54 PM

I personally went with a custom Seven to get a tall head tube and short seat tube so that I could have my bars and saddle at the same height and enough standover on my 53cm frame. This was after years and years of trying to get a stock frame to fit correctly. As I am sure you know, stock frames fit people with generic builds and can rarely account for medical issues.

As others have mentioned, try turning your stem upside down and maybe work in a pair of these bars.
Specialized Hover Expert Alloy Handlebars – 15mm Rise
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ho...=230548-156001

Old 05-02-2024, 10:49 PM

Not only can going custom solve this need for you, ya'll can partner on a variety of other custom bits: extra stand over? extra water bottle placement? Choose your color/design. Tweak geo if needed. A plethora of reasons that could make going cutom fun and rewarding.

Cheers,
CJB
Old 05-03-2024, 02:20 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Thanks for the great suggestions on both changes and alternate bikes.

Progress update (definitely in the you can't care what it looks like)
The shortest 30 deg rise Redshift stem, 27.5 wheelset with 2.1 Thundeburts and double wrapped the top of the bars. Bar height/reach is darn close and the impact far more muted. This might work. Not an ideal permanent change but will get me out and can see how it goes from here.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:59 PM

TALL Stack/Reach Ratio

I had been on the lookout for a similar frame for different reasons. Its not Ti, but it is the most relaxed ratio that I have found. Talking about the Black Mountain Cycles Mod.Zero ..

I was pretty much sold already when I brought it up against my current bikes on bike insights . com ..

but then Mike Varley (designer, owner operator of BMC) ran an insane deal on these.. actually a few deals. one of which included a whisky carbon fork plus the original steel fork for a fraction of the retail.. again, not Ti, but in lieu of a custom frame, this is one of the few off the shelf models that I am aware of that puts this much emphasis on stack.

It also hits all the other marks you suggested in terms of tire size, 1x an 2x compatibility. Also works with many modern components and you would probably have a lot of compatible parts in a bin somewhere. good luck
Old 05-13-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
What about Specialized Roubaix? The FutureShock raises the stack up so it might get where you need it, and the suspension may help with your shoulder. The new SL8 has the tire clearance you're after. Not Ti but checks your other boxes; road focused and 2x compatible.
Came here to suggest this.
Old 05-13-2024, 01:02 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

The new SL8 and the BMC both have strong appeal for different reasons.
Thanks.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:08 PM

I will +1 the Krypton. The shop I worked at sold them and they are great bikes. I rode the Dark Matter (their gravel bike) for several years and it was very well made.

I have actually been thinking about getting one for myself, but my Crux with 30mm spacer and a Ritchey +15mm riser bar is getting the job done

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Best off the shelf I know of is carbon: The latest Argon 18 Krypton/Pro takes a 700x40 and has endurance-length wheelbase/chainstay.

Small is a possible 370mm reach, 587mm stack [with the +25 front].

Previous years' model had a +30mm option, which would bring up the stack a smidge. Different frame design though.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:48 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I will +1 the Krypton. The shop I worked at sold them and they are great bikes. I rode the Dark Matter (their gravel bike) for several years and it was very well made.

I have actually been thinking about getting one for myself, but my Crux with 30mm spacer and a Ritchey +15mm riser bar is getting the job done
this is great to know as I'm really considering the Krypton (or Dark Matter if I think I need the clearance) if I go the carbon route..
Old 05-13-2024, 05:20 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post

I missed that 25mm boost on the Krypton.

End of the day, my goal is being able to ride for more than an hour before the shoulder starts getting real cranky about the lack of cartilage.