Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2020, 11:15 AM

I work from home so that easy to deal with. My clients are RV dealerships. If they are slow them I'm slow. The economy is what I'm worried about. Uncertain at this point, thank God for savings. Was going to go to Ireland to visit my fiance's family next week, that's cancelled. Still need to call the airlines and see what options are.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:45 AM

I'm very lucky, I am a federal government employee who can work from home, and my wife works at a hospital. We're both far enough out from retirement that any short term market movement won't matter for us, and we can make our monthly mortgage payment with only one of our salaries. Financially, we are about as stable anyone could be right now.

We were planning to travel to Spain in 2 weeks and that has been cancelled, as well as any plans to visit my mother. But otherwise, a typical day is no different than a day before: I work, I walk my dogs, and I bike.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:48 AM

My school was late announcing decision to go online delivery, just announcing Friday afternoon. Spring break now but everyone scrambling to prepare. My department is in very good shape though with lots of partial and fully online content and/or content that is technology-based to begin with.

GF works at a retirement place. We are weighing whether she should stop working. Someone has to take care of those people though. On the other hand, she is 62 so age is a risk factor.

Worried about the markets and retirement, esp. as a very late starter.

It's strange going on a long ride and not stopping at a single place for coffee or anything. I'm used to doing that, bringing food and enough water, or filling bottles at fire stations. That has its own aesthetic. But weird refraining from interactions because of this.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:25 PM

Welp. I’m out of work until April 7.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
what's your job jt?
Old 03-16-2020, 06:33 PM

No direct effect except for my now terrible 401k. And all restaurants are take out or delivery. And I can't find TP anywhere. Still have to work as I'm a Correction's Officer. If this virus hits the prison, I'm screwed. Our OT is terrible enough already. Hoping since we're fairly isolated we may be ok.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
No direct effect except for my now terrible 401k. And all restaurants are take out or delivery. And I can't find TP anywhere. Still have to work as I'm a Correction's Officer. If this virus hits the prison, I'm screwed. Our OT is terrible enough already. Hoping since we're fairly isolated we may be ok.
I feel your pain on that 401k thing, brother.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
My Co can be deem itself essential for people being able to continue to WFH thus bypassing the policy. Still waiting for a direct message from my Co.. We are already asked to WFH as much as we can, but if the production people are not there to take our direction there is little point to WFH.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:40 PM
Small ring

I am a senior citizen in the risk category. I Winter in AZ, permanent home in MI. My elderly in-laws also do the same. They are not able to travel on their own, so we travel with them back and forth. We have flights for 4-25, but unsure what the situation will be. I can move the flights up to 4-4, but still not clear if that would be an advantage or not, health-wise for the in-laws.

If it were just my wife and our Schnauzer, I would drive. Not an option with 90 year olds in not great health. I wish there was some guidance on what to do from reliable sources.

Will there be an airline travel shut down? Would they be safer in AZ than in MI? Is anyone responsible actually running things?
Old 03-16-2020, 07:00 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

I've lost all faith in the human race.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:12 PM

consult your physicians

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
I am a senior citizen in the risk category. I Winter in AZ, permanent home in MI. My elderly in-laws also do the same. They are not able to travel on their own, so we travel with them back and forth. We have flights for 4-25, but unsure what the situation will be. I can move the flights up to 4-4, but still not clear if that would be an advantage or not, health-wise for the in-laws.

If it were just my wife and our Schnauzer, I would drive. Not an option with 90 year olds in not great health. I wish there was some guidance on what to do from reliable sources.

Will there be an airline travel shut down? Would they be safer in AZ than in MI? Is anyone responsible actually running things?
They know your conditions etc. If it were my family, I'd stay put versus travelling. Sadly, there isn't good background testing to say if AZ or MI has more prevalence of SARS-CO-V2, which would be the only thing that might make going from AZ to MI look attractive. Just look at the thousands of people who were posting selfies of themselves at St Patrick's Day parties or restaurants this weekend, who might be at the airport or on your flight. People have not taken this seriously, so you have to. Good luck
Old 03-16-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
I've lost all faith in the human race.
I've typically had very little to begin with. Times like this just reinforce the knowledge that I've always been right about humanity.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:22 PM

As a retiree on a fixed income that’s unaffected, with no need to dip into my 401k I can ride this out-my only short term affect is not going to meet my buds at the local Irish pub for a few laffs this St. Paddy’s day.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
They know your conditions etc. If it were my family, I'd stay put versus travelling. Sadly, there isn't good background testing to say if AZ or MI has more prevalence of SARS-CO-V2, which would be the only thing that might make going from AZ to MI look attractive. Just look at the thousands of people who were posting selfies of themselves at St Patrick's Day parties or restaurants this weekend, who might be at the airport or on your flight. People have not taken this seriously, so you have to. Good luck
I've seen speculation but no geospatial evidence that the virus is clustered between 50 and 30 degrees N latitutde. That might be a point in the stay in AZ column. But it would require more corroboration.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
what's your job jt?
Bike messenger/ process server

Not really a work from home type job