Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2020, 09:52 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
If it means not cracking open our nice stock of blue colored paper towels I reserve for cleaning the bike (they sure are durable!) I will happily enter a Walmart for the first time in many years!
I didn't think Scottsdale allowed such buffoonery-like stores inside their city limits.

Poppycock!

I kid, I kid! sort of.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
I didn't think Scottsdale allowed such buffoonery-like stores inside their city limits.

Poppycock!

I kid, I kid! sort of.
I will be embarking upon a terrifying journey a few miles west to inner city Phoenix!
Old 03-17-2020, 10:14 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
I will be embarking upon a terrifying journey a few miles west to inner city Phoenix!
Ok phew, I have been in the area a few times as a kid and college grad, so it has been awhile, but I will say Scottsdale is amazingly beautiful. Glad to hear things haven't changed.

I keep telling my wife we need to head SW to retire, whenever we are able to, but she wants Florida. I have to figure out a way to brainwash her as those horrible Hurricanes don't seem to phase her at all.

Plus, no salt water air on the Shelby and metal bikes would be nice.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:02 PM

Welp, thought we were going to be okay in our high-rise - relying on deliveries and such so we could limit exposure to other residents and shelter in place while continuing to work 50+/hrs remotely as I usually do. But we just got word late today that our management company is closing their office and will no longer facilitate deliveries to the building (I'm assuming USPS has access still) or our secure package room. They said they are going to keep cleaning staff going - which I have yet to see evidence of.. Our building is 22 stories (17 residential), probably 300+ units. All "amenities" are already closed. They also abdicated any responsibility to let residents know if other residents are C-19+ or under quarantine - just said "please follow the CDC guidelines". Seems residents have stopped caring about the rules too - lots of weed smoke wafting into our place and cigarette smoke when we try to open our windows - guess people gotta cope, but sucks when your partner has asthma. We are paying buckets of ducats to be here. And we've been making the best of it - stocking up so we have minimal trips to make and using the stairs as much as possible (can only get down/out with them, not up). Thankfully we are just on a month-to-month lease and are renting a furnished unit (was just supposed to be a couple months here while house-searching), so getting out isn't going to be that hard.. Currently combing Craigs, AirBnB and anywhere else to try to find something. Of course it's crazy time trying to find anything other than apartments in high-rises here - especially when you have a feline friend. Oi. I know, first world problems, etc. - I'm very thankful to have a job and the means to have this roof over my head - still, the question was asked, and there's the answer..

Would be curious what other condo/apartment dwellers are experiencing, especially in high-rise setups.

Last edited by Clean39T; 03-17-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Ok phew, I have been in the area a few times as a kid and college grad, so it has been awhile, but I will say Scottsdale is amazingly beautiful. Glad to hear things haven't changed.

I keep telling my wife we need to head SW to retire, whenever we are able to, but she wants Florida. I have to figure out a way to brainwash her as those horrible Hurricanes don't seem to phase her at all.

Plus, no salt water air on the Shelby and metal bikes would be nice.
IMO no comparison, mountains, endless cycling paths, no humidity or bugs, sunny nearly every day minus the storms...

I won’t be heading back East, unless it’s way past the US in EU or the opposite in SE Asia.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Welp, thought we were going to be okay in our high-rise - relying on deliveries and such so we could limit exposure to other residents and shelter in place while continuing to work 50+/hrs remotely as I usually do. But we just got word late today that our management company is closing their office and will no longer facilitate deliveries to the building (I'm assuming USPS has access still) or our secure package room. They said they are going to keep cleaning staff going - which I have yet to see evidence of.. Our building is 22 stories (17 residential), probably 300+ units. All "amenities" are already closed. They also abdicated any responsibility to let residents know if other residents are C-19+ or under quarantine - just said "please follow the CDC guidelines". Seems residents have stopped caring about the rules too - lots of weed smoke wafting into our place and cigarette smoke when we try to open our windows - guess people gotta cope, but sucks when your partner has asthma. We are paying buckets of ducats to be here. Thankfully we are just on a month-to-month lease and are renting a furnished unit.. Currently combing Craigs, AirBnB and anywhere else to try to find something. Of course it's crazy time trying to find anything other than apartments in high-rises here - especially when you have a feline friend. Oi. I know, first world problems, etc. - I'm very thankful to have a job and the means to have this roof over my head - still, the question was asked, and there's the answer..
Our amenities were closed a few days ago too. And I was joking before that after returning from our trip, what a shame to be quarantined in a place similar to most tropical luxury resorts...now we are stuck on our 50 foot wide terrace overlooking the mountains with no toilet paper.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Our amenities were closed a few days ago too. And I was joking before that after returning from our trip, what a shame to be quarantined in a place similar to most tropical luxury resorts...now we are stuck on our 50 foot wide terrace overlooking the mountains with no toilet paper.
Could care less about the amenities - it's the general upkeep of the building and facilitating people being able to live here through this..
Old 03-18-2020, 03:31 AM

Quote:

If there isn’t any tp then maybe a sprayer would be a good option. My wife and I use cloth diapers for our son and bought one that I installed last year. Never thought it’d be useful otherwise, but if we do run out of tp it will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2020, 06:34 AM

My son and I do Supermarket refrigeration service and repair for a large company so my son and I are considered "Essential". Logically, the harder a piece of equipment gets used, the more often it breaks down. For the last 3-4 weeks we are working sun up to way past sundown. Last Thursday I worked a 9 hour day, and it felt like a part-time job. We are essentially, on the front lines without the protections that health care and other essential services get. I fully expect both of us to get it, fortunately, everyone in our family is low risk and very healthy and should recover fine.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:13 AM

My fiance's company come April 1st is putting everyone on furlough. At least they are paying for benefits. My income will be severely affected being in the RV industry. Again thank God for savings.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:35 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
We are essentially, on the front lines without the protections that health care and other essential services get. I fully expect both of us to get it, fortunately, everyone in our family is low risk and very healthy and should recover fine.
I was traversing an empty meat department in a grocery yesterday, and someone came up to a store worker and asked them if they had something (obviously not) and coughed on the worker, uncovered
We're going to need the grocery workers to be healthy, TYVM
Old 03-18-2020, 07:48 AM

Hmmm... how has this effected me?...... not very well. As some on here know, I just made it back from death’s door. I mean really the Grim Reaper type of stuff. Finally well enough to ride and build up strength. Find employment that I’m good at and pays fairly.

Beer virus comes along and I get laid off. And my Dr called to remind me that my immune system is not good at all because of my treatments. Not bad, but not strong as most. So I’m still riding my bike, best I can, and stuck in the house.

So yes it has had an effect on me personally, and not just running short on TP stuff.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:50 AM
50 bpm

The shop(s) have made a decision to stay open, regular hours, but to take aggressive cleaning precautions with alcohol and bleach. All bikes test-ridden will be cleaned thoroughly. We're asking customers not to touch anything they can ask us to get for them.

And we're all wearing gloves so the cleaning products don't eat our hands.

We're still taking cash, though.

At my son's wine store in Brooklyn they've gone to delivery only. They're not even letting people inside.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:53 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
Hmmm... how has this effected me?...... not very well. As some on here know, I just made it back from death’s door. I mean really the Grim Reaper type of stuff. Finally well enough to ride and build up strength. Find employment that I’m good at and pays fairly.

Beer virus comes along and I get laid off. And my Dr called to remind me that my immune system is not good at all because of my treatments. Not bad, but not strong as most. So I’m still riding my bike, best I can, and stuck in the house.

So yes it has had an effect on me personally, and not just running short on TP stuff.
Sorry to hear it, JR. Hang in there.

Are group rides in the area still happening? I wonder, too, about Amateur RoadNats in Clay County in June. Probably not going to happen.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Sorry to hear it, JR. Hang in there.

Are group rides in the area still happening? I wonder, too, about Amateur RoadNats in Clay County in June. Probably not going to happen.
No idea really. I haven’t been even able to ride in a group in a LONG time. Fighting for your life sort of takes the fun out of it. And now, I’m not strong enough to ride with any group.

Sorry I don’t have an answer for you