Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 10:55 AM

OT: Best Headphones for Making Business Calls (Best Mic)

Hello PL'ers,

Sorry for the OT thread, but I find many of you carry over impeccable taste in bikes to other gear.

I make a lot of calls from a home office and feel like I always sound like I am in an echo chamber. All the reviews of headsets tout audio quality but not mic quality. I want an excellent mic, so I sound like I am broadcasting a podcast, is that too much to ask?

Requirements:

- Wired for cell phones (iPhone). Bonus is Bluetooth/wired hybrid but wired is primary.
- Over ear, in-ear, doesn't matter. I can get used to anything in this regard.
- Excellent mic!

I've used $30 Logitech headphones, the stock iPhone headphones, and spendy Sony WH-1000XM2 noise cancelling headphones. Oddly, the best results have been from certain older era iPhone headphones while the newer ones are just terrible and transmit every little background sound.

Any thoughts from PL'ers who make calls all day? Thanks!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:25 AM

Similarly interested as someone who (a) works from home with a lot of conference calls and (b) has an imperialist landscaping crew in his townhome association that insists on exterminating every last leaf and blade of grass on the planet...

Currently using Bose BT sport headphones and they work okay, but using them daily is going to kill the batteries and I don't need a wireless solution in the office.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:29 AM
extremely tall

Also following. I use Bose QC35s but they’re kind of overkill, and can get a bit hot to wear in the summer.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:40 AM

The plantronics voyager is a really good headset imo.

I think most couriers use these around here anyways. They are bluetooth so not wired but have really good battery time and good sound quality and very little problems generally.

Sit good without discomfort around the ear all day long.

Lasts a very long time for a tech product

Are not overly expensive.

Duh missed the requirement for wired but ill leave this recommendation here anyways for others as its a pretty great headset.
Why the need for wired btw?

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 11-13-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Classics Fan

If you want a boom mic style, you might consider gaming head phones. My dad does a lot of stuff on the phone, and he wanted a headset a few years ago, I did a lot of research. And found a gaming head set that checked all the boxes.

He didn't want to go for it because he looks down on 'gaming'. sigh.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Why the need for wired btw?
Thank you for the recommendation.

I would like wired for no worries of battery life and the ability to plug into my laptop if needed. I run my VOIP on my cell and laptop and want to be able to use either. Plus, I never leave my desk during a call so I don't see the benefit of bluetooth.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post

I would like wired for no worries of battery life and the ability to plug into my laptop if needed. I run my VOIP on my cell and laptop and want to be able to use either. Plus, I never leave my desk during a call so I don't see the benefit of bluetooth.
I see.

I wouldent be suprised if many if not most non audiophile headphones these days were wireless and bluetooth only. Simply as they are much more versatile and more thought after i would imagine. But since im not really in the know around the headset markets i could ofc be wrong (its happened before..)
Old 11-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Administrator

i use the jabra pro, both at home and in the office, as do many of the folks i work regularly with, so i get to hear them on telecoms often. audio quality is good. hooks up to the phone and laptop for skype calls.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:

The Bose Quiet Comfort 35 headphones do a really good job of cancelling out background noise and the speaker works well. Battery lasts a pretty long time and you can plug them in via a standard (included) headphone jack if needed (when wired in you can use with or without the noise-cancelling).

Only real drawback is the cost.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:32 PM

Old 11-13-2018, 03:13 PM

I'm a big fan of the AKG K551 as a wired headphone. They sound great for music, they're really comfortable, and people always say they hear me well when I use it.

The mic is inline on the cable, along with a 3 button remote. They're pretty big on your ears, so you need to OK with that, but they also do a good job of keeping ambient noise out (but they aren't noise cancelling)

These run around $200, so they aren't cheap, but they are really good.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Plus, I never leave my desk during a call so I don't see the benefit of bluetooth.
Some of my calls are 4+ hrs long, so a reliable mute button is a must-have...

Have heard some funny things over hot-mics :|
Old 11-13-2018, 09:25 PM

Always select dual ear input

Hearing is a bilateral process with the left ear feeding the right brain and the right ear serving the left, just like eyesight.

If you listen with one ear only, you miss the full spectrum of audio communication.

On the surface, the difference may seem subtle, yet it is supremely profound.

I purposely chose a dual input headset when selecting one for business purposes. Without visual input, you need to do everything you can to enhance your communication experience.

The above reflects an extensive research project that I once participated in at the direction of an internationally recognized neural scientist (the smartest person that I have ever met).

Last edited by Spinner; 11-13-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:15 AM

i use a Jabra Evolve 30 II. USB plug w/ volume/mute control. available in mono/stereo variants. not terribly expensive, good speaking and hearing sound quality

Last edited by wallymann; 11-14-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Hearing is a bilateral process with the left ear feeding the right brain and the right ear serving the left, just like eyesight.

If you listen with one ear only, you miss the full spectrum of audio communication.

On the surface, the difference may seem subtle, yet it is supremely profound.

I purposely chose a dual input headset when selecting one for business purposes. Without visual input, you need to do everything you can to enhance your communication experience.

The above reflects an extensive research project that I once participated in at the direction of an internationally recognized neural scientist (the smartest person that I have ever met).
that's so interesting and a total head scratcher as to whether or not I'm missing out on things.. (I work all day on a single ear wireless plantronics headset...)