Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 06:09 PM

My wife uses the peloton app with my smart trainer. She uses an iphone to control the kickr (kickr app) and follows the instructions that the video gives her. She see's cadence, power on the app. Works for her.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:14 PM

So this thread is not about the magazine?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:58 PM

I like having an unfinished semi cluttered Zwift space in the basement. It means I can sweat all over the place, listen to the music I want, and no one really bugs me because it’s just not an aesthetically pleasing place to hang out. All I care about is a bike and trainer combo that works flawlessly, a big screen to make the experience more engaging, a decent graphics engine so the Zwift graphics aren’t jittery, and good music. I use a Kickr with Zwift or Rouvy running on a stand-alone PC that someone built for me with a super nice graphics card hooked up to an old Panasonic 50” plasma TV. Love it. The space has its own charm for me. But it’s my little ugly man cave space and damnit if my kid comes and borrows the mouse or iPhone cable or moves Dads stuff I get cranky...in a good fatherly way. :-)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:06 AM
cmg

screw the trainer and the never ending fee, buy her a bike and go outside......
Old 11-15-2018, 10:05 AM

...and I'm just over here using The Sufferfest Training app for $100USD/year having a blast with my bike and a KK Road Machine...

Cycling sessions/videos
Yoga Sessions
Mental Training Programs
Strength Training sessions just added.
Access to a couple dozen structured training programs created by ApexCoaching via Training Peaks.

More power to those who like the shiny "cool kids are doing it" factor that Peloton provides. For my money, it's HARD to beat what SUF has going on if your a cyclist looking to supliment your outside riding with some structured indoor work, or just somebody who wants to build fitness using a bike.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:40 AM

I'm so old school I guess. I watch that old video of Eddy Mercx on the rollers. He didn't even have music.

I can just get the trainer set up and stare at the wall and do intervals.

The last few years I have started to watch a video. Usually not even cycling related. But I won't remember a thing that happened in the video for any portion of the workout I go above tempo. I'll literally just put on some TV/Documentary or something I'm interested in.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:10 AM

If I remember correctly the Peloton is the one where an instructor in a cycle studio yells at you to go faster. OP - is that the experience (spin class) that your wife is looking for or does she just want to get some good exercise? Zwift is good in that there is that social component and also structured workout groups, races, etc. I generally just ride and only use it a few time per month over the winter. You can turn it on and off, $15 per month so it basically costs me $45/year. The app works fine on my 2011 iPad mini and I mirror it to the TV using an Apple TV. I’ve found that I ride harder on Zwift than when I just used to pound he indoor trainer. There are KOM climbs, sprints, etc and usually somebody up the road to catch or someone to try to ride off your wheel if you’re in that mood.

I use a Kickr Snap and got it precisely so my wife can put her Shimano equipped bike on it. I use my old TT bike with Campy 10s.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
screw the trainer and the never ending fee, buy her a bike and go outside......
Outside is ALWAYS better than inside. When this subject comes up, there are always the comments that one should just ride outside..totally agree! That said where I live at least the winter makes it harder to get out regularly. I have no problem riding in extremely cold temps but for a regular training block before work, it’s MUCH easier to sustain the outside training patterns I follow Spring through Fall with an indoor setup.

A smart trainer has been a total game changer for my offseason training. If I lived down South where I could probably ride outside year around, a smart trainer wouldn’t be as compelling, but I would probably still get one for those times I have a very short window to squeeze in an interval session before work.

**For those that shun the whole idea and haven’t at least tried it, I’d recommend trying it at least if you have a friend with a Zwift setup. It’s surprisingly engaging, very realistic, and you can do some very hard rides. (I am NOT a gamer, and resisted the Zwift thing for several years...hated indoor training on my fluid trainer)

Last edited by Wayne77; 11-15-2018 at 11:54 AM.