Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 09:44 PM

Cold season is in full effect across the country (and I'm nursing a minor injury here in SoCal), let's see what builds you have going on.

I picked this up complete for essentially no money, rebuilding it from the frame up (besides the Cane Creek 40 it came with).

Build includes some nice handbuilt wheels and 2x10 SRAM clutch group. Trying out a 46t/33t chainring combo with 11/32 cassette. Going to give RevoX cantis a shot, but might settle for TRP CX8.4s.

Also, since bottle cages are a hot topic tonight, this came with some Velo-Orange knock-offs of the King Iris Cage that are somehow more expensive and flimsier than the Kings?

(PSA: see how I added similar content to an existing thread instead of creating a new one?)

Last edited by jtbadge; 11-14-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:18 PM

Put 700x32s on my Felt Breed that's built for 650x47s - should be able to swap wheels for road training vs. gravel days...

Got PDW fenders ready to go, just need the mounting kit from Felt.

Also put narrower flared bars on there, but now have ridiculous cables up front.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 12:40 AM

That All-City up there is the Space Horse? I'm sorta cruising one of those on eBay but I'd like to hear your impression before I bite.

Me, I'm grudgingly building up the Soma Stanyan I can't seem to sell here. Help me out, y'all: should I go full Suntour XC-Pro with twist-shifters on a Lauterwasser handlebar, and White Ind/TB14 wheels? Or, kickback 2-speed with a banana seat & sissy bar?

("None of the above" is only allowed as an answer if you're gonna buy it.)

Extra credit question: should I braze canti posts on it, raise the brake bridge to increase tire clearance, and have it powder-coated lemon-chiffon yellow? This would be a pretty desperate direction to go in, because doing it right would require a new fork too...

I don't respond well to the onset of winter. Never have.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:28 AM

That’s a smart mod with the removable stabilizer. Is there anything that limits how far you back the bike can rotate? I’ve seen some that essentially bungee the front wheel.

...and how are your manual skills progressing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
I built this manual machine a few days go to try and learn manuals. There's a ton of YouTube videos showing various versions. My little modification was to make one that could be more easily stored. The stabilizer cross-bar piece can be removed by pulling out wooden dowels.

IMG_5819 by twinkle stars, on Flickr

Instagram
Old 11-15-2018, 11:25 AM
cnighbor2

I am building a 58cm Caylor frame

Ask for photos
Old 11-15-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
That’s a smart mod with the removable stabilizer. Is there anything that limits how far you back the bike can rotate? I’ve seen some that essentially bungee the front wheel.

...and how are your manual skills progressing?
These really don't work. There's a huge difference when the bike is moving compared to using this "manual machine"
The best way I learned was just looping the bike until I was getting comfortable
finding balance.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post
That All-City up there is the Space Horse? I'm sorta cruising one of those on eBay but I'd like to hear your impression before I bite.
This is the Macho Man, but I've had both (this is actually my second Macho Man). The Space Horse is a great bike, I ended up preferring the tighter handling of the Macho Man, especially since I am not using the rack mounts or extra load capacity that is available on the Space Horse. Hard to go wrong, though!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:52 AM

I am rebuilding my old Speedvagen with newer Record parts. All I can say is that Campy stuff is just so sexy. I had Chorus on there for years and it was beautiful, but the new crankarms and the carbon crazy derailleurs are just gorgeous.

I know Dura Ace and Sram RED are also amazing, but Campy just makes me smile.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Cold season is in full effect across the country (and I'm nursing a minor injury here in SoCal), let's see what builds you have going on.

I picked this up complete for essentially no money, rebuilding it from the frame up (besides the Cane Creek 40 it came with).

Build includes some nice handbuilt wheels and 2x10 SRAM clutch group. Trying out a 46t/33t chainring combo with 11/32 cassette. Going to give RevoX cantis a shot, but might settle for TRP CX8.4s.

Also, since bottle cages are a hot topic tonight, this came with some Velo-Orange knock-offs of the King Iris Cage that are somehow more expensive and flimsier than the Kings?

(PSA: see how I added similar content to an existing thread instead of creating a new one?)

ill be building up a poprad since you got this awesome deal im not sad it didn't sell. but today is a good day for a new ice cream truck pics to follow snows a coming
Old 11-15-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
This is the Macho Man, but I've had both... ended up preferring the tighter handling of the Macho Man...

Thank you for that bit of information, I'm sure I would prefer the same. Glad I didn't jump right onto the Space Horse I saw.

Anyway the seller's asking a little more than "essentially no money" for it!
Old 11-15-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
...All I can say is that Campy stuff is just so sexy..., but the new crankarms and the carbon crazy derailleurs are just gorgeous.

I know Dura Ace and Sram RED are also amazing, but Campy just makes me smile.
^^This x1,000!!!

I hope to build up my custom titanium Gängl with Record 12 this weekend. I robbed the Record 10 from it to build up the steel Gängl. Looking forward to having it back on the road.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:36 PM

Finished up that Macho Man today:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=230617

Old 11-17-2018, 02:45 PM

Sorry how do you delete a post? I’m having trouble posting a pic

Last edited by bfd; 11-17-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:13 AM

This is a little bit different but I just finished building this PC from spare parts to run Zwift. First ride last night... Interesting.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
Sorry how do you delete a post? I’m having trouble posting a pic

You can't. You can edit but not delete.