Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 06:48 AM
Administrator

i guess it depends on where you are regionally, but one of the main struggles here, at least in the summer is keeping something like a van cool.

if you live in a dry area, it's not so bad at all, and a solar powered exhaust fan keeps things livable, but if you add in higher humidity and climbing temps, it can be downright miserable trying to sleep in an enclosed structure. i've learned this from micro-camper life.

if you're vanlife mobile as a built in AC and you have access to shore power, all good, but adventuring someplace like the southeast in the summer may render an off-grid camper van a deathtrap.

that's the kind of thing that doesnt make it to instagram
Old 11-14-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
Reasonable price? Not really. Here's my gripe. If you don't have the mechanical ability to work on a van, you shouldn't be relying on it to take you to the ends of the earth. If you don't have the time to outfit your own van, then you probably don't have time to go on adventures. I know I'm probably alone on that gripe, but whatever.
I did say fairly reasonable but was really basing it on the fact you can get a new Promaster for around 32 and then add that insert for 8 and have a mostly functional camper van that's new with warranty for 40 vs 130 or whatever a Winny Revel would cost.
Doable at a lower price point although reasonable only when compared to something I don't find reasonable. I'm not 100% convinced in the value of that insert kit but it's really the only thing like it so that's the value I guess.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:55 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
You IG your struggle to get to van life. #prevanlife

You could photo stage your attempts to work on your van. You could get sponsors and totally monetize it

New ground
You're going far in this brave new world, I can feel it.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:46 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
Reasonable price? Not really. Here's my gripe. If you don't have the mechanical ability to work on a van, you shouldn't be relying on it to take you to the ends of the earth. If you don't have the time to outfit your own van, then you probably don't have time to go on adventures. I know I'm probably alone on that gripe, but whatever.
You do realize that, in order to do a nice conversion, one would need a really nice little shop equipped with some sweet tools, right? Kind of contradicts the whole minimalist live in a van down by the river life.
Anyway, I'm almost 66, so I have limited time on the earth (as most do at any age), and I ain't wasting it spending months on a van interior. Those kids had that modular thing all figured out, and it sure seems to be a good value, if you value your time.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:52 AM

As a Gen-Xer myself I find the whole Instagram lifestyle cringe worthy. But I did live on the road for the better part of two years right after college in the 90's. It was quite the experience but I never wrote a book about it or shared millions of 'pics' with 'friends'

As for money well, it can be done on the cheap. A van of course costs a lot but a old Toyata pickup with a topper doesn't. And I worked as a geologist for an engineering company for a year and saved up enough to live on the road easily for two years. I'd go back to work for 6 months then head out again.

Those were the days.

I couldn't do it any more nor would I want to at this point but if I had kids graduating college I'd encourage them to do something like that. You are only young once...
Old 11-14-2018, 10:05 AM
slower than you

In my time I backpacked Europe on trains. Who needs a van?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I've always wanted to do that to. But hey, if you have a bike, who needs a train
Old 11-14-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Not sure when your time was, but Europe on $5/day has become Europe on $500/day from what I've seen...
Old 11-14-2018, 04:36 PM

I'll go....

I bought my first van to support my bike habit and my car habit simultaneously. I've been working on cars since 15, racing bikes since 25. It amazes me how much people love to talk about vanlife. There's an interesting discussion going on here for those who want to dig deep... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...c.php?t=709751

A couple of weeks ago in North Georgia. Needed the rear locker to get to this site.

And 5+ years ago before a month long cross country trip

Old 11-14-2018, 06:24 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
I did say fairly reasonable but was really basing it on the fact you can get a new Promaster for around 32 and then add that insert for 8 and have a mostly functional camper van that's new with warranty for 40 vs 130 or whatever a Winny Revel would cost.
Doable at a lower price point although reasonable only when compared to something I don't find reasonable. I'm not 100% convinced in the value of that insert kit but it's really the only thing like it so that's the value I guess.
I'm sure I could do it for considerably less, but the van would never be finished. Then again, I would have an excuse to buy that Festool 55 I want. I have followed some van builds, because the idea of it appeals to me. But they end up with a lot of re-dos along the way because it's not easy to design and build.

I'm trying to unload everything I can, but my wood shop is not going anywhere right now. That could change though.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:57 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Not sure when your time was, but Europe on $5/day has become Europe on $500/day from what I've seen...
Well, I did it in 1973, so, yeah, long time, but, today we have AirB&B, which really makes travelling affordable over there, if combined with the pretty cheap train fares and even budget flying if you're going far. Next week I'm leaving for Madrid and Andalusia, and the most I'm paying for a night in my own apartment is $62, and could have done it cheaper if I was less picky about location and apartment size.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
I'll go....

I bought my first van to support my bike habit and my car habit simultaneously. I've been working on cars since 15, racing bikes since 25. It amazes me how much people love to talk about vanlife. There's an interesting discussion going on here for those who want to dig deep... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...c.php?t=709751

A couple of weeks ago in North Georgia. Needed the rear locker to get to this site.

And 5+ years ago before a month long cross country trip

Yeh baby..if yer gonna live in a "camper", it's gotta be a camper, not just a place to sleep..stove, frig, table, beds..ya can sleep in a car...
Old 11-15-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post

Ummm........is that the same van in both pics?

What is that silver dial looking thing underneath the window on the blue one?
Old 11-15-2018, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Nice rig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Ummm........is that the same van in both pics?

What is that silver dial looking thing underneath the window on the blue one?
I'm going to guess stove vent?

William
Old 11-15-2018, 02:26 PM

Are there Vanagons east of the Rockies? Amazing!

Joking. I'm sure there are a few. But I've always felt surprised that there are 8 within a couple of blocks of my house, in addition to mine (Pacific NW), but in week-long visits to the DC-to-Boston corridor, I'd see none. Zero.

Wonderful, wonderful vehicles, though. I rented a 24' Sprinter a few summers ago and really missed the maneuverability of my Vanagon. The Syncros are nice and the lockers make them nicer, I guess, but the basic 2WD ones are surprisingly capable in the bush. I've even gotten an automatic into (and out of) some fairly sketchy areas.

Listen, stock powerplant in yours? Or have you done a conversion? 2.5l Subaru in my current one.