Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2016, 02:07 PM

For the Hate of Eroica!!!!!!

I'm hoping one year I have a bike worthy .. Sure I can settle for something or rent but I really want a Look kg86 .. Not exactly the norm for erocia... But it fits 1987 or older !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Why the hate for those who take on a challenge with pride or as you say are full of themselves.
You are reading me wrong.....I fit into that group......both of them.

Last edited by numbskull; 04-11-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:03 PM

Here's the thought of the organizer on why he puts on the Eroica:

Last year I rode in the pouring rain, thunder and lighting in L'Eroica Italy with over 5000 riders. I completed the 135km route with 1938 Umberto Dei equipped with 4 speed Vittoria Margherita.

I had a blast even with only one gear to use for about 80% of the ride (my bike and myself was covered in mud). In my head I was back in time when racers were true racers. Felt like I was in one of those old Giro d'Italia films.

At the goal in Gaiole everyone was excited and cheering each other. This is Eroica at its best, that was my thought.

So I hope you get to experience the same feeling I had in Italy here in California.

I wish I can ride with everyone.... But I can't. I have to run the event so you can enjoy the event.

Come ride and experience what the Eroica is all about.

You will cherish the photos from the ride for rest of your life.

Wesley Hatakeyama
Eroica California
Old 04-11-2016, 03:17 PM

I will say that as the event has grown and expanded it seems to be increasingly a commercial venture for the organizers.

The rides in Italy are still cheap (60-80 bucks) and a real bargain for what you get. The California event, however, I think ran $150-200 which seems inexplicably high in comparison.

As part of their advertising the "riding old bikes makes you holier" bit gets oversold and certainly justifies some push back. I think their is also something of a personality cult thing going on with the guys who invented the ride. It wouldn't surprise me if all this eventually kills the goose that laid the golden egg.

Still, it is pretty rare to find a negative review by some one who has participated. It is hard to get too serious about yourself when you're wearing a vintage jersey, fumbling with DT shifters, and tackling big nasty hills with inadequate gearing.

I think that may be the secret to its success. In a sport where getting too serious about yourself is the accepted norm, L'Eroica makes use of antiquated equipment and stupid outfits to kill that instinct and let people just have fun as a group on bikes. Not easy to do but they do it pretty well.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
In my head I was back in time when racers were true racers. Felt like I was in one of those old Giro d'Italia films.
Seems to support the argument that it is a dress-up event (not that there is anything wrong with that!) Also, why are racers of today no longer "true racers"?

Last edited by cloudguy; 04-11-2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-11-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I will say that as the event has grown and expanded it seems to be increasingly a commercial venture for the organizers.

The rides in Italy are still cheap (60-80 bucks) and a real bargain for what you get. The California event, however, I think ran $150-200 which seems inexplicably high in comparison..
Well, in fairness, the "Gran Fondos" that everyone seems to ride these days have the same $150-200 entrance fee. Further, Wes et al work really hard to put on a good event, so I wouldn't necessarily say they're getting rich hosting this event!

[/QUOTE]As part of their advertising the "riding old bikes makes you holier" bit gets oversold and certainly justifies some push back. I think their is also something of a personality cult thing going on with the guys who invented the ride. It wouldn't surprise me if all this eventually kills the goose that laid the golden egg.

Still, it is pretty rare to find a negative review by some one who has participated. It is hard to get too serious about yourself when you're wearing a vintage jersey, fumbling with DT shifters, and tackling big nasty hills with inadequate gearing.

I think that may be the secret to its success. In a sport where getting too serious about yourself is the accepted norm, L'Eroica makes use of antiquated equipment and stupid outfits to kill that instinct and let people just have fun as a group on bikes. Not easy to do but they do it pretty well.[/QUOTE]

I'm not as cynical. If you like vintage, here's some excellent photos of this past weekend's Eroica:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thomas...7665856556390/

Looks like people enjoyed themselves! Good Luck!

Last edited by bfd; 04-11-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:52 PM

word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudguy View Post
Seems to support the argument that it is a dress-up event (not that there is anything wrong with that!) Also, why are racers of today no longer "true racers"?
Old 04-11-2016, 03:55 PM

The way I see it, rides like L'Eroica also stimulate people's interest in old bikes or in modern bikes done the classical way, and have probably saved many worthy frames and groups from being junked out or turned into scrap metal. It is a nostalgia ride, cosplay, whatever one may want to call it, but it fulfills a specific goal: to get people riding those bikes, rescuing them, recycling them (pun intended.) Their rules and regulations might be a little arbitrary ('87 or '84, wool or whatever, green pedals or Kiss outfits) but so are the rules of almost any other recreational activity.
The author's argument that he should be able to ride L'Eroica in a bike of his liking is like saying that I want to wear a suit and tie to a nudist party. The rest of the discussion, IMHO, about whether or not is role play, cosplay, playing dress up, etc., implies that other activities are more "natural" and less culturally determined. Is wearing a suit and tie to the office or jeans and a t-shirt to the bar playing dress up, or is a cultural convention just like the rules of L'Eroica?
Old 04-11-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsere View Post
The way I see it, rides like L'Eroica also stimulate people's interest in old bikes or in modern bikes done the classical way, and have probably saved many worthy frames and groups from being junked out or turned into scrap metal. It is a nostalgia ride, cosplay, whatever one may want to call it, but it fulfills a specific goal: to get people riding those bikes, rescuing them, recycling them (pun intended.) Their rules and regulations might be a little arbitrary ('87 or '84, wool or whatever, green pedals or Kiss outfits) but so are the rules of almost any other recreational activity.
The author's argument that he should be able to ride L'Eroica in a bike of his liking is like saying that I want to wear a suit and tie to a nudist party. The rest of the discussion, IMHO, about whether or not is role play, cosplay, playing dress up, etc., implies that other activities are more "natural" and less culturally determined. Is wearing a suit and tie to the office or jeans and a t-shirt to the bar playing dress up, or is a cultural convention just like the rules of L'Eroica?
I think you're severely underestimating how many old steel road bikes live long hard lives as commuters. The population of Eroica participants doesn't even come close to the population of college students buying old road bikes on Craigslist and locking them around campus. I ask this in earnest: would anyone on this forum THROW OUT a steel road bike before selling or donating it?
Old 04-11-2016, 04:17 PM
slower than you

I don't get the California version. I mean, c'mon. How could you do it anywhere else but Italy? Of course it then turns into a geeky costume show and display of hip material ownership. It's California, furcryingoutloud. Plus, there's probably a few items with kale in them at the food stops. Served On environmentally friendly disposable plates. Not, you know, pasta on plates, like I've seen in a few Youtubes during a real Eroica.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
I think you're severely underestimating how many old steel road bikes live long hard lives as commuters. The population of Eroica participants doesn't even come close to the population of college students buying old road bikes on Craigslist and locking them around campus. I ask this in earnest: would anyone on this forum THROW OUT a steel road bike before selling or donating it?
Not I. I've sold and donated steel bikes and frames -- never thrown one out.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:33 PM
doomsday device

Quote:
in our current political climate, I’d rather see us strive for inclusion, rather than rejection.
lol, DEEP THOUGHTS, REDKITEPRAYER. Really bringing it all together at the end there.

Last edited by pavel; 04-11-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:56 PM

The rules are funny in that in this photo Greg can ride L'Eroica but Berny can't yet both raced the '85 Tour. Oh, and by the way, Greg's bike was built by Roland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hinaul-promises-lemond-the.jpg (100.8 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Fivethumbs; 04-11-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Wondering if you are under the age of 50, and did not start riding until you were 30? Let us know.

Many here got started using leather shoes and toe clips and friction shifters and sew ups and wool shorts and jerseys. Not sure what your beef here is..
Hell, he's under 40...

:-)
Old 04-11-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivethumbs View Post
The rules are funny in that in this photo Greg can ride L'Eroica but Berny can't yet both raced the '85 Tour. Oh, and by the way, Greg's bike was built by Roland.
Agree.