Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
No, that's just wrong. You may not like riding vintage bikes anymore, but some of us ride them regularly, even exclusively. The two bikes I've been riding lately are from 1974 and 1980 (yes, I do have more modern bikes). I didn't do L'Eroica, but would gladly do it if I had the chance.
Congratulations, you're part of the .0000001%.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:52 AM
It An't Me Babe

I must say, this has turned out to be a very strange conversation. I got no dog in this hunt, I just like bikes. I don't get disparaging in anyway anybody who wants to ride a bike.

In the bigger picture, stuff like this I don't understand and is why I am convinced we - as a self-powered two-wheel alternative transportation and recreation special interest group - will never advance our interest anywhere forwards except as in spite of ourselves. We act like we don't aspire to anything other than petty tribalism and feel no hesitancy to misjudge other riders. And then we throw them under the bus.

This is embarrassing.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
I must say, this has turned out to be a very strange conversation. I got no dog in this hunt, I just like bikes. I don't get disparaging in anyway anybody who wants to ride a bike.

In the bigger picture, stuff like this I don't understand and is why I am convinced we - as a self-powered two-wheel alternative transportation and recreation special interest group - will never advance our interest anywhere forwards except as in spite of ourselves. We act like we don't aspire to anything other than petty tribalism and feel no hesitancy to misjudge other riders. And then we throw them under the bus.

This is embarrassing.
This.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
I think what people are responding to is the generalization of the event and it's attendees. And then asking, why do you care so much? They're (or I am) just having a good time.

I'm not arguing about people in modern clothing doing l'eroica. I have no doubt that is somewhat true. Modern merino is very common. I get it. I'm a rapha fan boy.

I am also not arguing about caring or not caring about the event. I don't do it because I don't like organized-pay-to-ride group rides as a whole. Eroica or the San Diego Campag gran fondo. I said that pretty clearly. I do my shops annual anniversary ride, and I like myself a graveling thing here or there. That's it.

My whole point was please do not act like the point of Eroica isn't to relive a bygone era, and thusly dress in character. Its the entire premise of the event.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:56 AM

Nevermind, I refuse to feed the trolls..
Old 04-11-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Congratulations, you're part of the .0000001%.
I chatted with another cyclist yesterday who was riding a 1985 Trek, with exposed brake cables, toe clips, and downtube shifters. We're not as rare as you think.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I chatted with another cyclist yesterday who was riding on a 1985 Trek. We're not as rare as you think.
I dunno man. my point was that it's a very, very small percentage in 2016. Please feel free to take stock of your local cycling population. Perhaps its different where you are.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Vendor

Quote:
My whole point was please do not act like the point of Eroica isn't to relive a bygone era, and thusly dress in character. Its the entire premise of the event.
With all the enjoyment I was having riding my bike through the rolling hills of La Rioja I guess I missed the premise. That doesn't bother me. All along, I thought I was there to enjoy a non-competitive day of riding, nice bikes and nice scenery.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
With all the enjoyment I was having riding my bike through the rolling hills of La Rioja I guess I missed the premise. That doesn't bother me. All along, I thought I was there to enjoy a non-competitive day of riding, nice bikes and nice scenery.

I mean, that is AWESOME! I am really, genuinely stoked you had a great time. Look, even Paso Robles is my favorite area of the world Ive been to on a bicycle.

Again...it has parameters...you have to show up riding a specific bike with specific accoutrements, etc

It's totally fine, I am glad people love it. I just have no idea why people who are doing it can't just reconcile the fact that it is indeed, akin to a dress-up/reenactment event.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:14 PM

there's this cat named Bill who does the world famous montrose (fast group at 8:30). his new bika is a caad -3 (or an early Felt, I forget) and he regularly rides a Spectrum he picked up in the 80s. He rarely wears a helmet. He and his bikes are about 20 years older than the average bike and rider. Dude is rad.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:15 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post

This is embarrassing.
Bingo. What a strange thread....full of misinformation and a lack of understanding of what Eroica is all about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enemy_square.jpg (103.6 KB, 107 views)
Old 04-11-2016, 12:18 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Nevermind, I refuse to feed the trolls..
Were you referring to me? I surmised you were because you have been most vociferous in the recent thread replies in responding to each opinion contrary to your own, excluding my own.

You got a point to make, then take your best shot but don't wimp outta defending, IMO your close-minded, petty, divisive opinion, by calling my response a troll...Yes, I'm talkin' to you, that's why I quoted you. Don't ever call me a troll man, that's a lame retort and I'm trying to save you the embarrassment.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:19 PM

I take great pride in a recent DeRosa Primato acquisition and would have been very happy to have ridden it in an Eroica-type event, but I've got Ergo shifters and clipless pedals on there which are, of course, verboten.

I had this discussion a ~week or so ago with a friend who suggested that I put it back into full period condition and keep it 'historic'. Well, I am 61 yo and certainly came up with toe clips, sew ups and DT shifters, so I can appreciate the fascination of all this - but for me, that's all just sentiment. I like the way it is right now because I want to ride it, not admire it as a 'collectors item'. But still, it seems kinda odd to be riding around on what is otherwise a pretty well-sought after vintage bike that does not qualify in a vintage bike event. Well, that's the organizer's choice, but it's why I will be out riding somewhere else that day .....
Old 04-11-2016, 12:24 PM

Yeah. The voices that regularly partake in condescension and forum-superiority by slathering themselves in self-righteousness are hailing this thread as a prime example of why cycling is so tribal and how we will simply never move on, blah blah blah. A far worse offense is poo-pooing other peoples completely reasonable observations on an event.

Spare us the bull****, please. There's been no hate here, no one has done anything but, at best/worst, tacitly agree with a blog post, and otherwise point out the what-would-be-obvious-to-anyone-with-a-pulse. People dress up and do a really hard ride utilizing technology that is 30 years old. This is the news.

and with that, **** this place. I'm out.

Last edited by livingminimal; 04-11-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:27 PM
50 bpm

I'm not sure anyone here hates l'Eroica. Just for many it's not their cup of tea and they find it odd. Substitute "carbon" or "Shimano" or "SRAM" for "l'Eroica" and the rest of the verbiage will be (and has been here on this forum) quite similar.