Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2019, 09:53 PM

BSA 30mm cinch BB install

Trying to install EC90SL cranks on a 68mm BB shell, using a race face BSA B30 bottom bracket. Follow all the install directions for the crank and BB and it feels far too bound up with the preload collar backed all the way out. Thinking it’s the spacers on the BB. This is all that came with the BB:

https://www.raceface.com/media/B30067-B-Web.pdf

Best I can decipher I’ve got 2 spacers between the BB and the shell on the drive side and 1 on the NDS (which is all 3 the BB came with). Curious if the weird call out for spacers just means one spacer on either side since the call out just points to 1 spaced on either side despite showing 2 on the drive side. Anyone else running a similar set up successfully? I’d appreciate any help!

Last edited by druptight; 09-19-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:18 PM

Spacers

You need whatever the amount of spacers necessary to get to a small amount of play in the bb with the crank torqued down to full torque spec (with the adjuster in full open). Then use the adjuster to get the play out.

Try to get an even distance between the cranks and chainstays on both sides unless you know the chainstays to be asymmetric, or unless the drive side needs to be further outboard for chainring clearance and/or chain line.

There can be lots of variances depending on frame, bb, bearing shields, etc.

I had my Easton cranks in an Open frame with an Enduro BB386 Evo BB- I needed minimal spacers as I recall.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:03 AM

Manual seems to suggest 2 spacers on right and 1 (plus preload on left). But that seems to leave no play in spindle and everything binds. Taking out a spacer on the right seems to yield same result of binding up. No spacers won’t work with the plastic sleeve that’s too wide to let the BB fully screw in. I guess last think I haven’t tried is one spacer on right and just the preload on the left... I feel like this shouldn’t be so complicated. I double checked that the spindle itself says it’s for 68mm BBs.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:26 AM

Try just one spacer on the Drive Side for 68mm
Old 09-21-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Try just one spacer on the Drive Side for 68mm
This seems to have worked only after I remove the plastic sleeve that goes between the cups internally. The distance between the cups with only one spacer was too tight and was compressing the sleeve so I couldn’t get the spindle through... not all that sure what purpose that sleeve serves aside from allegedly keeping water away from the bearings on the inside somehow? Don’t ride much in the rain or muck in this bike so hopefully not an issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 09-21-2019, 02:48 PM

BSA 30mm cinch BB install

I sense that there are 2 different kinds of spacers being discussed here. If you can’t get the sleeve in the middle without the spacers, then you are using the large diameter spacers for BSA BB threads (between shell and BB cup). Often BB386 need spacers on the spindle outside the cup.

Reading more about the Cinch standard, I’m not sure that you can assume that the RaceFace 73mm BSA30 will work with the Easton EC90SL spindle length.

https://www.raceface.com/media/Crank...chainlines.pdf

As you can see, the RaceFace Cinch system comes with a huge number of different spindle lengths with different BB spacer and spindle spacer requirements.

There is an Easton BSA30 BB that is only for 68mm shell widths.

https://www.modernbike.com/easton-bs...bottom-bracket

The EC90SL spindle is a 129mm length, the shortest spindle for that RaceFace BSA30 without spindle spacers is 131mm.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...k-spindle-30mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jc031699; 09-21-2019 at 06:47 PM.