Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-25-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Basically a cashiers check or money order is sent. The bank clears it if you have the funds in your account and then weeks later you find out that the check or money order is no good after the goods are sent. Never take anything other than cash or from a source such as PayPal, Venmo and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, the whole thing is weird. The guy in question has very few pics, but his "wife" has plenty, with plenty of friends. Can you "hack" someone's FB account?
Old 12-25-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Well, the whole thing is weird. The guy in question has very few pics, but his "wife" has plenty, with plenty of friends. Can you "hack" someone's FB account?

Yes, people hack facebooks accounts all of the time.

Old 12-25-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Yes, people hack facebooks accounts all of the time.

Geez. I had no clue.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Geez. I had no clue.

I won’t deal with anybody if I get a bad vibe from the transaction. Trust your inner self as you did when things didn’t seem right and you will be fine.
Unfortunately anything online is susceptible to being hacked.

Old 12-25-2019, 12:17 PM

I get a lot of scammers using cashier checks payment when selling stuffs on local classified and Craigslist. I’d ignore and steer clear of those transactions.

https://www.wiyre.com/craigslist-cas...pot-and-avoid/
Old 12-25-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Well, that just doesn't ring true. Leaving alone the fact I have plenty of photos (they just haven't been updated) and friends, why would he immediately volunteer to send over a check for the full amount. No questions asked. I could still cash it and he'd be out the money right? Am I missing something? I might be off base. But this certainly smells like a scam.

Edit: Not that this is indicative of anything, but I actually have way more photos than the person who contacted me. He has exactly three.
Sounds like you are an avid FB user then. It’s ok to be so. When you wrote I use it only to sell and buy things before you wrote I am not an avid facebook user I took that to mean I only use Facebook when I sell and buy things which isn’t that much.

I have had great success on Instagram but I have a strong network of followers who tip others off to deals I offer. To me that’s the key is having a network.

Last edited by joosttx; 12-25-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Sounds like you are an avid FB user then. It’s ok to be so. When you wrote I use it only to sell and buy things before you wrote I am not an avid facebook user I took that to mean I only use Facebook when I sell and buy things which isn’t that much.

I have had great success on Instagram but I have a strong network of followers who tip others off to deals I offer. To me that’s the key is having a network.
I meant exactly what I said. I "rejoined" FB for the first time in four years to buy a bike. I haven't posted on the site for years, nor have I looked at it. And with all the stuff I've just learned (plus the fact I'm done buying bikes) I see no reason to go back.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I meant exactly what I said. I "rejoined" FB for the first time in four years to buy a bike. I haven't posted on the site for years, nor have I looked at it. And with all the stuff I've just learned (plus the fact I'm done buying bikes) I see no reason to go back.
Well that (being off of FB for 4 years then reappearing to sell stuff)
could be viewed as a little shady from the buyers end.... this guy who hasn’t been active for 4 years is all of a sudden selling stuff. Was his account hacked. Did he develop a crack habit in those 4 years? That’s my point. Consider the buyers viewpoint. Not saying I’m right just offering another plausible reality to the interaction.

Last edited by joosttx; 12-25-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:46 PM

I've seen a number of people scammed with fake bank checks, utility checks, money orders, wire transfers, etc, etc, etc. It doesn't matter what the form is either. I've also seen a number of people that were on the ball bring in the fake checks etc to turn in and make our detectives aware of something new that may be popping up.

Some of the scam checks are shockingly realistic looking. They have watermarks, security strips, micro printing and more. When our guys get them they do what they can BUT the scammers are so numerous that there's a very low probability of them ever actually getting caught.

My favorite person that came in was lady who's proudly in her early 80's and she was a pistol! She actually called the scammers before coming in and got some info by stringing THEM along! When I called it in the Sgt and one of his best guys came up as much to hear her as much as to get the info. That day did not suck.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:42 PM

In the early days of Paypal there were plenty of scams/fraudulent transactions that accrued/occurred, plenty of people lost money, not so much currently, however some loophole will be found by the dishonest and the cycle will begin again. There is still plenty of counterfeit cash and it has been around longer than all tender. Nothing is perfect, pick your poison with caution and try to be aware what you are getting into!

Last edited by m_sasso; 12-25-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:13 PM

i would imagine your local branch of the fbi, loval police station, and possibly the irs might be interested. they take things like this very, very seriously.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:33 PM

Just get the buyer to EFT the funds directly to your bank account.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
Just get the buyer to EFT the funds directly to your bank account.
I wouldn't be too interested in giving a buyer (suspected scammer) detailed bank account information.

In my experience, serious buyers are willing to jump through some minor hoops to close a deal on something they want.

Happy to hold something if they send a small deposit, bring cash, etc... Not at all interested in jumping through the buyer's hoops...as it's almost always scammy.

There's always another buyer...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-25-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I wouldn't be too interested in giving a buyer (suspected scammer) detailed bank account information.
Why not? If all they've got is your BSB and account number they can't get access to your account without the password.

Putting your bank details on an invoice is standard business practice here - do you think companies would do that if there was a risk? There are very few businesses (or individuals) who will deal with the hassle of a cheque these days.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:24 PM

On a side note if someone insists on check or money order do a USPS money order instead. I have done a few deals via USPS money orders for a few different reasons over time. Don’t ship until post office cashes for you. 100% secure for seller. Buyer has some protections that money can’t be stolen buy others and cashed.

Last edited by duff_duffy; 12-25-2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Typo