Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-24-2019, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I think the poster you are criticizing was making the point that the subject of the article life story was so different than his it is hard for him to relate.

I will remind everyone in this holiday season we are all humans and have the same universal feelings regardless of who we are, our value systems and experiences.

I would agree, and in that way one can be sympathetic and empathize with the plight of others.

W.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:56 PM

This stuff is why I gave up on doing group rides when I got back from life in europe....
Old 12-25-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Some very thought provoking comments. I would like to hear your suggestions for solutions.

I was in Vancouver in May for vacation. One of the most beautiful cities in the world, and being crushed by drug addiction and homelessness. Untold millions of dollars spent with the crisis only growing worse. I saw the future for the rest of the country. Something must be done.....but what?
Vancouver has a staggering drug problem that rivals or exceeds big American cities. As a resident of a small city two hours away from van bu ferry, our city has changed as well, as many homeless and addicted have moved to victoria to escape the mean streets of Vancouver
Old 12-25-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33 View Post
I see a myriad of responses in this thread.

None of the responses acknowledged that, in this particular thread, the homeless person in question was: Yale educated, black, and had a husband.

An Ivy League educated African American who also happened to have a sexual orientation towards the same sex . . . . . . . I can not even empathize.

Not sure many here can either.

As a white male who has a sexual orientation to the ladies I know, as a fact, I can't have sympathy . . . I'm trying to have a modicum of empathy.
You could easily empathize if you consider that mental illness is an equal opportunity affliction. It doesn’t care whether you’re a Yale educated gay black man or a straight, white, high school dropout. Many clinically depressed people turn to illicit drugs as a form of self help. The same could happen to you. That’s all you need for empathy.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmojo View Post
Yes, multi-faceted heartbreaking problem.
No, early release and “slap on the wrist”
is the exact opposite of the problem
As a psychiatrist in the public sector, I have
worked in 7 California counties since
1987. I have seen the criminalization
of the mentally at the ground level:
jail, hospital, mobile crisis, and community
outreach. With vanishing mental health
and substance abuse services, local police
are unable to properly get folks the help
they desperately need. Our society has become
punitive and not compassionate. Police are woefully
unequipped to handle people with mental
illness-their training is— “command and control”
Or shoot first, ask questions later. I have treated
countless victims of misguided police brutality:
one fellow shot 5 times for wielding a crowbar 30
yards away from 4 officers. Crazy scares untrained
first responders. So I do understand their frustration
at the system. So when you encounter a homeless
person remember- they live in fear every day.
Ya. Major decline in long term mental health care...……..
Old 12-25-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Whether we like it or not legislatures around the country have abrogated their responsibility to provide for mentally ill citizens. The criminal justice system is what we’re left with. As more and more people are reconized to have actual diagnosed mental health problems, the math of locking them up stops working.

What we’re doing here in my community is not catch and release, but catch and engage. At its most pragmatic, this approach simply saves money and crowded jail resources. On that measure alone, its a smart move.

Engagement is the key. If anyone thinks that locking ‘em up or ignoring the mentally ill is a solution they are wrong. We’ve proven that over several decades. The good news is that some are beginning to recognize the issue for what it is and that its cheaper and better for everyone involved to engage rather than incarcerate in those instances where it is likely to be successful. Sometimes its as simple as keeping a person compliant with their meds. This can be vastly less expensive than incarceration in money and in quality of life for the entire community.

The moral component seems obvious to some, not so much to others. I submit that punishing the mentally ill is like beating your dog for peeing in the house two weeks prior. It does not do any good, only harm. The dog has no idea why its getting beat and no way to connect the beating with the past behavior. It just got beat down and hurt. No good comes from that method.
A good article to go through, and I appreciate this response. Especially on Christmas Day, when many of us are fortunate enough to be surrounded by family, abundant food, and comfortable residence.

Obviously no easy answer, but when we stop caring what happens to others we lose part of our humanity.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
bottom line...no matter which side you are on politically...is that not many folks really care about the society they live in...some do and work there and I will give them that...but it is "I have got mine, you got yours and so **** you" if you fall thru the cracks for better or worse...to think anyone in this country really gives a **** about the mentally ill or folks down on their luck is silly...at least at any level of actual reality that is serious and in a real manner? no way and no how...it's dog eats dog...merry xmas...just stop pretending...go with it but be honest.
I disagree with this sweeping generalization. It certainly does not describe me, my family, nor most of my friends.