Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2020, 12:26 PM

Just a general note on "warranties" (if you're in the US) - they legally can't really be voided. For example, if you swap out the pedals and the screen breaks, they legally cannot deny you warranty service. Now, if you swap pedals and the crank arm breaks, then sure, they can deny that claim.

It's a consumer protection law covered under the Manusson-Moss act.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:50 PM

When we moved from the city to the burbs and there wasn’t easy access to studios for classes, we bought one for my wife. She loves it and routinely does 250+ rides a year on it. She also does yoga and boot camp workouts via the app. She absolutely loves it. One of my riding buddies bought one for his wife, he loved it so much he sold his KICKR

I’ve ridden it a lot and think it’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 01:57 PM

Also, Peloton just released an updated version which looks like it addresses all of the issues I have with the bike(other than the cost). It has a rotatable screen and better speakers, which will make it so much better for doing all of the non-bike stuff. It also has the ability to auto-adjust the resistance which will be nice for the bike stuff, and is the main feature I was surprised to find missing on the original bike.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post
I'd like to get a simple weight set for the basement too. Any suggestions?
Watch Craigslist. A simple 110lb. set is all you need. While squats and leg presses are great, the space and financial investiment turn me off.

I watched craigslist for a while and noticed a few things: There are a lot of Olympic sets to be had but they're usually unnecessarily large sets and you'll be limited to Olympic plates to fit the bar, and used prices of both 1" standard and Olympic sets and separate plates will often match or exceed that of new plates. Not sure if Covid-19 drove the prices up but I would expect used sets of any design to be at least 25% less than retail, factoring in not much can go wrong with a weight set so their may retain some of their value. I paid $40 for a standard size 110lb. set (barbell and dumbbells).

For exercises, I do dumbbell lunges, dumbbell single leg step ups, dumbbell squats, barbell hack squats with a slim board under my heels, and barbell deadlifts. You can find the exercises on youtube or on exrx.net. https://exrx.net/Lists/Directory A small set of weights like mine is all you need to thrash yourself to improvement.

A set of weights is a great way to prevent introduce variety in your off-season training. You can also mix things up; ride for a half hour, lift for a half hour. I lift 1x or 2x a week, and ride 3x a week in the winter. On riding days when I can't fit in my full-hour ride, I finish off the hour with weights, for example. Be creative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weight Set - 1.jpg (65.3 KB, 136 views)
Old 09-15-2020, 11:45 PM

https://twitter.com/sheetaverma/stat...665270272?s=21
Old 09-16-2020, 01:36 PM

Wife wanted one (we both amateur cycle - used to do 1 century/year), but she felt better spending $2K on a newer bike or anything else. Bought a used Keiser stationary bike (preferred after diff fits), also have her road bike (litespeed siena) on a trainer. She subscribes to the peloton app for $10/mo and has a brain so knows how much cadence/power is right. She's not on a leaderboard but she doesn't care, just likes the instruction and music.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:20 PM

I have a peloton subscription sans the bike.

I really like their yoga classes. I've also done some of their bike workouts on my trainer. Now that I have a kickr, I can use the resistance setting to go along with things when I'm bored and want to do a quick ish hiit workout.

I can see that being a good way of getting some intensity in the winter without losing your mind doing intervals all the time.