Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Guess what I ordered after exclusively using my Kinu manual grinder for my (frankly wildly out of control) espresso habit for a month or so.
You and I fit into very different demographics, Neil I've been using this exclusively for 18 months twice a day. I think I have passed the honeymoon period.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
That looks nice! What beans do you use? Ive been wanting to try some new beans, but i never know what im going to get, more so with drip beans. It seems everyone is into really acidic light-medium roasts and im more of a dark-chocolatey roasted type of bean.
This has been my favorite espresso for a while, I like the dark chocolate stuff as well

https://caffelusso.com/collections/c...espresso-blend

Can't go wrong with these flavor notes: Milk Chocolate, Caramel, Praline
Old 02-24-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteiker View Post
This has been my favorite espresso for a while, I like the dark chocolate stuff as well

Thanks! Ill give it a try.
Old 02-24-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Thanks! Ill give it a try.
yw, enjoy! Its also fun to brew it other ways then just espresso. Drip, Moka, Press pot, aero press. Get a different taste and texture each time. Try them all!
Old 02-24-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
You and I fit into very different demographics, Neil I've been using this exclusively for 18 months twice a day. I think I have passed the honeymoon period.
For context, I probably make 6+ espresso per day before I shut the machine off.

I'm viewing the Niche as a labour saving device, although I may have chosen the wrong plug/voltage.
Old 02-24-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:

I'm viewing the Niche as a labour saving device, although I may have chosen the wrong plug/voltage.
Well, clearly we're also in different coffee drinking demographics, too!
Old 02-24-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Although not coming from a manual and as somewhat entry level espresso makers/drinkers it was initially a challenge for my wife and I to swallow the cost of our Niche, but it simply solved too many problems with our old grinder (large, ugly, loud, messy, difficult to grind two types of beans every morning (I drink only decaf)). Combined with the positive reviews here we were ultimately convinced. We haven't regretted it once.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteiker View Post

Espresso Vivace is another company that you can’t go wrong with. Owned by David Schomer who ( literally ) wrote the book on espresso.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I only just uploaded it so it's still processing but here's a 48 second long video of grinding 18g for espresso and transferring it to my Robot basket. I wasn't trying to grind quickly. Can definitely be quicker if you so desire. It's really not long at all. No way on earth could I justify a Niche - which I would say is comparable to the grind quality of this, but at 3x the price, just because it's motorized.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Jl...ew?usp=sharing

Lol, edit: just as I wrote my comment you updated yours. Oh well. Might be useful for someone. Edit edit: having just watched it, it looks like I am trying to grind really fast. I can assure you I am not.
As expensive as that grinder is that you bought, it should have been able to do a Turkish grind.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
As expensive as that grinder is that you bought, it should have been able to do a Turkish grind.
It can? I am nowhere near as fine as it goes. I don't think $160 is expensive for what it is at all.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
It can? I am nowhere near as fine as it goes. I don't think $160 is expensive for what it is at all.
According to the website it CANNOT grind Turkish powder type of grind.

Therefore, paying $160 for a grinder that cannot grind all the various grinds used in making different types of coffee is indeed expensive because it's limited in what it can do. For $40 you can get a JavaPresse Manual Burr Coffee Grinder that does all the grinds, sure for $40 it may not last as long, but it has over 20,000 reviews and maintained a 4 1/2 star rating and it's rated the number one grinder on Amazon, and very good internet reviews varying from 5 stars to 4. Even if the JavaPresse only lasted 5 years, that means you would have to buy 4 to last 25 years, and who's to say that the expensive one would last 25 years...they won't last because according to the internet, if you use a grinder every day grinders, actually the burrs, will last 5 to 7 years, so the cheap ones will last 5 years and the expensive ones will last 7, so in the long run it's financially wiser to buy a cheaper one as long as it grinds just as good, and in the case of the JavaPresse it does.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:57 PM

+1 on Vivace beans.

Fun fact: Cafe Vivace has used Niche grinders now for a well over a year. Turns out they're durable even in a commercial setting. I figure if they can last one year at Vivace they will last 100 years of wear at my house.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Therefore, paying $160 for a grinder that cannot grind all the various grinds used in making different types of coffee is indeed expensive because it's limited in what it can do. For $40 you can get a JavaPresse Manual Burr Coffee Grinder that does all the grinds, sure for $40 it may not last as long, but it has over 20,000 reviews and maintained a 4 1/2 star rating and it's rated the number one grinder on Amazon, and very good internet reviews varying from 5 stars to 4. Even if the JavaPresse only lasted 5 years, that means you would have to buy 4 to last 25 years, and who's to say that the expensive one would last 25 years...they won't last because according to the internet, if you use a grinder every day grinders, actually the burrs, will last 5 to 7 years, so the cheap ones will last 5 years and the expensive ones will last 7, so in the long run it's financially wiser to buy a cheaper one as long as it grinds just as good, and in the case of the JavaPresse it does.

Lol, oooooooookay? If you think a grinder with 18 grind settings [edit: or if you think that the grind coming out of the Javapresse is anywhere near as good or as consistent as the JX-Pro] is appropriate for espresso then I am not sure what to tell you. Perhaps we have different expectations of coffee. I use five different grind settings just for different types of espresso. Because this grinder has 200 grind settings.

Also, A) I have ground for Turkish with it myself because I actually own one and B) you are wrong. The screenshot is lifted directly from 1Zpresso's website.... soooo.... yeah. You go yell at your clouds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-02-24 161031.jpg (63.6 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by jkbrwn; 02-24-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:53 PM
Tired Member

Quote:

I have one of these types of grinders. It didn't last 5 months. It's a POS. YMMV and all that.

Reviews like that on Amazon are like reviews for Pan Asian cuisine on Yelp -- junk.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
+1 on Vivace beans.

Fun fact: Cafe Vivace has used Niche grinders now for a well over a year. Turns out they're durable even in a commercial setting. I figure if they can last one year at Vivace they will last 100 years of wear at my house.
All I'm telling you is how long grinders last according to the internet, and common sense will tell you that burrs will wear down, you cannot avoid that, a knife doesn't stay sharp forever being used every day they have to be sharpened to stay sharp, the burrs are the same thing except burrs cannot be sharpened they have to be replaced if the grinder has that ability. Now the Niche grinder has REPLACEABLE 63mm conical burrs, problem is I wasn't able to find an exact cost of those burrs, Niche doesn't list it on their website, and one place I did find I wasn't sure if they were the correct burrs but they cost was $145.

I'm also not sure if the website that said burrs last 5 to 7 years was based on consumer use or commercial use, they make no reference to the type of use. So, if that 5 to 7 years is based on commercial use, then yes, a grinder could last a long time, even a $40 one.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso