Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2010, 10:01 PM

OT - Math brush up...

I haven't taken a math course since college and that was back in the early 90's...

Calc was as high as I ever aspired... but now I am on a mission. I have been reading a bunch of physics (I won't bore you with details - but it is neat chit!) and have found my math is just a bit rusty...

So - I want to do it the right way... I am going to re-teach myself math from the fundamentals to algebra, geometry, trig, analyt, single variable calculus, multi-variable calculus and anything else suggested. What I do not want to do is go back to school. This is just to satisfy a curiosity I have and in no way will benefit me at work or even after I retire so I do not need another degree. What I am looking for are recommendations for text books, work books, online resources, etc. I don't mind shelling out some cash for texts, but as I am not seeking credit etc... older versions are fine with me. What I do prefer are texts and resources with lots of examples and pictures (self teaching... always a bonus!).

This forum always amazes me with the wealth of knowledge the members have... so it is almost always a good place to ask for unusual advice.

Thanks in advance!

(Yes - I know I am nuts.)
Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Soh Cah Toa
Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Soh Cah Toa
Oh boy... yeah... I remember that from trig... must have been 1987 or 88...
Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 PM
#bottlestorage

You need a hobbie.

My wife has a masters in engineering and was a double major in math for a while in college, I will ask her. She saved all of her text books and notebooks.

Last edited by rugbysecondrow; 12-28-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 PM
tailgunning

heya, i have a few out of edition single variable calc -> multivariable calc -> ode books that i couldn't sell back if you want em. i also have pdfs of quite a few textbooks in engineering if fluid mechanics/materials design interest you here's to the age old adage that you're never too old to learn

but also... check out http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

it's an index of a bunch of MIT's courses made public. it saved my ass several times during undergrad (for classes that were awfully taught) and even grad school this past year.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 PM

take a look at the Saxon math books. they are a series.

Many home schooled kids use them. I rate them as excellent.

They are great texts. !!!!!

After Calculus, the next step is ordinary differential equations and linear algebra. next step ... Vector Analysis/Advanced Calculus + Complex variables
and partial differential equations.

Next step are courses in Real analysis.

Math is always a struggle. Don't get frustrated.
Mathematics has taught me perseverance.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahneida Ride
Complex variables
O the horror, need to find a happy place....

Math 401 - Linear Algebra and Complex Variables (required for MECH321 Aerodynamics) I should have taken Stats (then Gas Dynamics) like the rest of my fellow mechanical engineering pals but no I had to take Aero, so off to Math 401 I went.

That class gave me fits. something like i = the square of negative one???

Lesson = never take a class that has the word "Complex" in the title
Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 PM

all of this could be put online once and for all.

with say 10 great instructors teaching each course.
you could tune to the Geek you like best.

Why go to class, sit there and just copy everything down in a rush
then go home and try to decipher it all? That is what I did and tons of
kids far smarter then yours truly.

Makes no sense.

all of undergrad math could be placed online as well as the first two
years of graduate math courses.

Math could be tons of FUN !!!!
One major Problem is that most math instruction sucks.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Soh Cah Toa
Sock it to me ?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by learlove
Lesson = never take a class that has the word "Complex" in the title
ha i was deceived because my grad course was called 'math for materials science.' sounds innocent enough. turns out it's complex analysis and higher order partial differential equations squished into 1 semester. oh god that class destroyed my spirit.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 PM

I would randomly spam a few local, older college professors. They might be the best resource for "solved" problems. Pouring over solved problems, one line at a time, is where the understanding happens. ATMO
Old 12-28-2010, 10:55 PM

Khan Academy.

That should take you through multi-variable calculus and ODE's. That's good enough for mechanics. I would seriously try reading this Landau and Lif????z. If that works for you, then you are really on to something. Sometimes I still read L&L Statistical mechanics for kicks.

Then you need a little bit of PDE's and Fourier analysis. There are a ton of good books on Mathematical physics that can do this for you. This is my all time favorite intro book on mathematical physics Mathematical Methods of Physics. It says Mathews and Walker, but it's actually Feynman. It's beautiful.

Then you're ready for quantum mechanics. I'd pick a good undergrad book off amazon. This one Griffiths is OK.

Then you need to learn about electromagnetics. If you've made it this far, then I'd say you're ready to jump right into Jackson , but get the red book it's cooler.

Along the way, these books Problems and solutions in X are your friend.

At that point, you need to learn about statistical mechanics. I'd recommend a class or two in discrete mathematics and statistics (the kind CS undergrads have to take). Then you need a book. It think this one is good.

OK, so at that point, you've got a state of the art physics education if you're living in 1930.

Enjoy.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:16 PM

I thought i was half way decent at math and started out in engineering. I was learning about points on a curve and whether they held water, when i realized that maybe i should change majors. I was talking to my nephew who is studying math and learned that he was helping his teacher write a book on finding patterns in randomness. That's when i realized that math is hard.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 PM

+1 for Khan Academy. Good information, good teacher, and free.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 PM

Good for you. Math is strange for me. I seem to have forgotten more than I ever learned?

On books for some reason I always found the older books much more elegant. Not sure why but all the pretty color pictures and new ways of teaching never cut it for me. You can pick up old books at garage sales and second hand stores for next to nothing.

I did undergrad in physics with a math minor (well I think I took more math actually) and took everything offered. I really enjoyed it.

The bottom line, start at the beginning. Math is like a puzzle or better yet a thinking game. You just have to know the rules first and the rules start with remedial math...