Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 10:29 PM

Getting your Ew-WU111 transmitter out of the way will tidy it up a lot. Best option is going carbon bars and running a short length of etube wire to the transmitter inside the drops. I'm not 100% sure what people use to secure it but something like bubble wrap would probably work well. Shimano is pretty adamant that it be external, but it seems like it can be out of sight as long as it's not in something metal like an alloy bar or steel frame.

Enve compact bars match your description, drilled (molded) for di2 right at the lever, short reach and drop, and 1cm flare per side. Brake routing is still external so you don't have to cut hoses. IMO the best if you don't care about the price.

I also like the Zipp SL70 ergo bars (alloy or carbon). The newer ones within the last 2 years or so are drilled for di2 and the shape is really nice. They're not as neatly routed though. I think they're 4 or 6* degree of flare? Not a lot, but they're popular for cross. I've owned like 4 pairs.

The Pro Discover bars also look real cool. I think I'll give that one a shot next.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:24 PM

The FSA K-Wing AGX plays nicely with Di2, I have the bar end junction installed and there is also room to stuff a 4-Port junction in it at the stem mount. You could probably squeeze the wireless transmitter in there as well. I had mine in my seatpost which worked for awhile, but it eventually gave me all kinds of problems. I havent tried to install it in the bars yet.

Running the cables/wires can be a bit tricky as clearance is a bit tight with how shapely the bars are.

Last edited by JWB475; 01-24-2021 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:11 AM

I had a set of Salsa Cowbells on my dirt roadie a few years ago and thought they were really nice. Really short and shallow without an extreme shape. IMO the flare is for when you have to manhandle the bike descending really loose or techy stuff. Most midwestern gravel doesn't require the flare.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
Getting your Ew-WU111 transmitter out of the way will tidy it up a lot. Best option is going carbon bars and running a short length of etube wire to the transmitter inside the drops. I'm not 100% sure what people use to secure it but something like bubble wrap would probably work well. Shimano is pretty adamant that it be external, but it seems like it can be out of sight as long as it's not in something metal like an alloy bar or steel frame.

Enve compact bars match your description, drilled (molded) for di2 right at the lever, short reach and drop, and 1cm flare per side. Brake routing is still external so you don't have to cut hoses. IMO the best if you don't care about the price.

I also like the Zipp SL70 ergo bars (alloy or carbon). The newer ones within the last 2 years or so are drilled for di2 and the shape is really nice. They're not as neatly routed though. I think they're 4 or 6* degree of flare? Not a lot, but they're popular for cross. I've owned like 4 pairs.

The Pro Discover bars also look real cool. I think I'll give that one a shot next.
I'm also thinking the ENVE bars may be the way to go. I'm hoping to avoid spending that much money and in the short term nothing will happen. But those are the ones I keep coming back to looking at.

I'll check out the Zipps as well. They've had several recommendations.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:00 AM

zipp xplr sl

I have the Zipp XPLR on my Palta. Its a 1x Di2 setup which incorporates the remote satellite shift buttons and handlebar mounted junction A with TRP's Hylex RS discs.

The XPLR bar has many similarities to Zipps compact SS bar...and the rearward sweep adds a slightly more upright position compared to a straighter bar. Highly recommend!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=255861
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basso 4.jpg (129.1 KB, 104 views)
Old 01-25-2021, 08:15 AM

^^^

Nice. That does look very close to what I’d be searching for a bit of flare but not much.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:41 AM

list and reviews of gravel bars

this is one of the best resources I've found on the topic...with pictures galore. Helped confirm my decision...

the ability to position the shift levers like a standard road setup was preferred...the flare of the XPLR is at the bottom rather than the entire bend (if that makes sense)

https://bikepacking.com/index/gravel-bars/
Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
^^^

Nice. That does look very close to what I’d be searching for a bit of flare but not much.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:32 PM

Can anyone w/the Zipp SL70 XPLR comment on true width of the tops? Plenty of space or feeling like your always pushing out to the bend?

I'm coming from a Most 44 o-t-o bar....hoping a 42 c-t-c will give needed room.