Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 09:29 PM

Getting your Ew-WU111 transmitter out of the way will tidy it up a lot. Best option is going carbon bars and running a short length of etube wire to the transmitter inside the drops. I'm not 100% sure what people use to secure it but something like bubble wrap would probably work well. Shimano is pretty adamant that it be external, but it seems like it can be out of sight as long as it's not in something metal like an alloy bar or steel frame.

Enve compact bars match your description, drilled (molded) for di2 right at the lever, short reach and drop, and 1cm flare per side. Brake routing is still external so you don't have to cut hoses. IMO the best if you don't care about the price.

I also like the Zipp SL70 ergo bars (alloy or carbon). The newer ones within the last 2 years or so are drilled for di2 and the shape is really nice. They're not as neatly routed though. I think they're 4 or 6* degree of flare? Not a lot, but they're popular for cross. I've owned like 4 pairs.

The Pro Discover bars also look real cool. I think I'll give that one a shot next.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:24 PM

The FSA K-Wing AGX plays nicely with Di2, I have the bar end junction installed and there is also room to stuff a 4-Port junction in it at the stem mount. You could probably squeeze the wireless transmitter in there as well. I had mine in my seatpost which worked for awhile, but it eventually gave me all kinds of problems. I havent tried to install it in the bars yet.

Running the cables/wires can be a bit tricky as clearance is a bit tight with how shapely the bars are.

Last edited by JWB475; 01-24-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:11 PM

I had a set of Salsa Cowbells on my dirt roadie a few years ago and thought they were really nice. Really short and shallow without an extreme shape. IMO the flare is for when you have to manhandle the bike descending really loose or techy stuff. Most midwestern gravel doesn't require the flare.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
Getting your Ew-WU111 transmitter out of the way will tidy it up a lot. Best option is going carbon bars and running a short length of etube wire to the transmitter inside the drops. I'm not 100% sure what people use to secure it but something like bubble wrap would probably work well. Shimano is pretty adamant that it be external, but it seems like it can be out of sight as long as it's not in something metal like an alloy bar or steel frame.

Enve compact bars match your description, drilled (molded) for di2 right at the lever, short reach and drop, and 1cm flare per side. Brake routing is still external so you don't have to cut hoses. IMO the best if you don't care about the price.

I also like the Zipp SL70 ergo bars (alloy or carbon). The newer ones within the last 2 years or so are drilled for di2 and the shape is really nice. They're not as neatly routed though. I think they're 4 or 6* degree of flare? Not a lot, but they're popular for cross. I've owned like 4 pairs.

The Pro Discover bars also look real cool. I think I'll give that one a shot next.
I'm also thinking the ENVE bars may be the way to go. I'm hoping to avoid spending that much money and in the short term nothing will happen. But those are the ones I keep coming back to looking at.

I'll check out the Zipps as well. They've had several recommendations.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:00 AM

zipp xplr sl

I have the Zipp XPLR on my Palta. Its a 1x Di2 setup which incorporates the remote satellite shift buttons and handlebar mounted junction A with TRP's Hylex RS discs.

The XPLR bar has many similarities to Zipps compact SS bar...and the rearward sweep adds a slightly more upright position compared to a straighter bar. Highly recommend!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=255861
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basso 4.jpg (129.1 KB, 237 views)
Old 01-25-2021, 07:15 AM

^^^

Nice. That does look very close to what I’d be searching for a bit of flare but not much.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:41 AM

list and reviews of gravel bars

this is one of the best resources I've found on the topic...with pictures galore. Helped confirm my decision...

the ability to position the shift levers like a standard road setup was preferred...the flare of the XPLR is at the bottom rather than the entire bend (if that makes sense)

https://bikepacking.com/index/gravel-bars/
Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
^^^

Nice. That does look very close to what I’d be searching for a bit of flare but not much.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:32 PM

Can anyone w/the Zipp SL70 XPLR comment on true width of the tops? Plenty of space or feeling like your always pushing out to the bend?

I'm coming from a Most 44 o-t-o bar....hoping a 42 c-t-c will give needed room.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:46 AM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I'm also thinking the ENVE bars may be the way to go. I'm hoping to avoid spending that much money and in the short term nothing will happen. But those are the ones I keep coming back to looking at.

I'll check out the Zipps as well. They've had several recommendations.
I'm getting (hopefully) closer to the build on my incoming (Julyish) Hampsten Ti SB.

I'm looking at both of these bars:

-Enve G Series. It's not just because they are Enve, but because of the features mentioned in the reviews. We spend the vast majority of our time on the tops (all road riding, not hardcore gravel). The Enves have a nice ergo top section that continues flat through the bend towards the controls...leaving a nice, stable position for the palms. And possibly some dampening properties do to the carbon fiber thing.

- Zipp SL 70 XPLR. Also has nice reviews. It has the ergo top section I want, and also a back sweep which is apparently great for comfort.

I'm thinking I'll buy both to test. Yes, the Zipps are a fraction of the price. However, price isn't the driver here. I want comfy bars for (hopefully) long hours in the saddle. If these bars are even close, I'll go Zipp because saving some shekels is always desirable.

If anyone has salient advice/comments on either of these bars, chime in. I'm good as far as info for other bar models. I've been through these threads and the Bikepacking resource page.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post
Can anyone w/the Zipp SL70 XPLR comment on true width of the tops? Plenty of space or feeling like your always pushing out to the bend?

I'm coming from a Most 44 o-t-o bar....hoping a 42 c-t-c will give needed room.
I just bought a set of the 44cm XPLR I plan on installing this weekend. Would you like me to measure anything?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2021, 08:45 AM

I bought the 42's...

I like the fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
I just bought a set of the 44cm XPLR I plan on installing this weekend. Would you like me to measure anything?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2021, 08:57 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Pottshead, you have 4.5 -5 inches of 31.8 round on the Enve G bar (size 46), you can fit a light and a bell easily, though a light, computer, and bell would probably require a combined computer/light holder.

I'm running the Enve G bar on my Parlee Chebacco and I really like it. Unlike many of the "new" gravel bars on which the flair happens right at the transition to the drops, meaning your shifters are equally flaired, with the Enve (and the Zipp SL 70 XPLR and I think one of the Eastons) your levers are fairly vertical (not entirely), and much of the flair happens below where the shifters clamp the bar.

To the OP, the slightly wider bars are to some extend mirroring the trend in MTBing, having more control on loose descents with a wider bar, but that is mostly the job of the flair in the drops. I think the real reason for the slight increase in bar size at the hoods is that when the levers flair, your tops, and the direction your hands approach them, are shifted in a bit. For me, with the moderate flair on the Enves, my 46s feel a lot like vertical 44s (I'm 6'3" with wide shoulders).

Additionally, I've really gotten used to that slight flair on my levers (though I hated the more extreme flair of whatever Salsas I first experimented with, CowBell 2 maybe, and never quite came around to the Ritcheys with the bump on the drops Itried next either). When I get on my road bike now, the vertical levers feel strange and narrow. I'm either going to pick up a set of the Zipp XPLR, or at least for the short term steal the Enves that have been waiting for a Mike Z. custom ti gravel build for my road bike.

It seems like the Di2 routing on the Enves is not too difficult, thought my bike still has a junction box under the stem, and it didn't seem worth replacing and rewiring. If the Zanc ever comes (I'm a bit concerned by his site being down and the long wait on both anniversary and titanium frames) I'll invest in the newer stuff and run my cables through the bars. As far as I can remember, the disc brake hoses still run externally, under the tape. There is a deep channel to accommodate, so no need for new barbs and olives.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottshead View Post
I have the EA70 AX with GRX di2 and the routing isn’t quite as clean as what you guys have going. I like the ergonomic of the bar shape pretty well though. Thinking I may try a carbon bar for some added vibration damping and compliance when I eventually get a Ti stem to match my bike. I’m not sure if the Enve gravel bar has enough 31.8mm space for a light and a bell?
Old 03-25-2021, 09:05 AM

Cool to see this brought back up to the top. Update.....

Due to budgetary concerns I decided to keep my existing bars and try to make them work better for me. This was successful.

These are 3T Ergonova bars, which are no longer made. I don't love them for road use but for this usage they're pretty decent. And they're paid for.

I moved the bars slightly higher around the bend, upwards on the bars. This creates a more comfortable position for cruising and climbing with great control. The drops flare about 1cm per side, so they're 42 at the drops but about 40 at the levers. It isn't really visible in the photos but in person it's possible to see it.

Additionally, I created my own internal Di2 wiring by drilling holes at the end of the bars to run the E-Tube wires inside the bars after coming down the outside from the levers. The Y-shaped E-Tube is eliminated and the left shifter runs internally to the right bar end where the junction box is located.

This is a way more satisfying solution aesthetically and the bars and position now are quite nice. I'm not ready for bars with extreme flare or extreme width. The gravel I ride is very benign and frankly, mostly passable on a road bike with appropriate tires. But this bike is fun and is better suited to things a normal road bike might not like as much.

Bottom line? No new bars for me yet.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:19 AM

I recently switched from Salsa Cowbell bars to the Zipp XPLR on my gravel bike. While I liked the subtle flare of the Cowbells, I missed the ergo top of the Deda bars on my all-road bike. The XLPRs solve that issue. I also like the slight backsweep at the top. I'm a fan so far.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:22 AM

ok, mostly OT, but when I clicked on the current thread page out of curiosity I read this in the first post:

Getting your Ew-WU111 transmitter out of the way will tidy it up a lot. Best option is going carbon bars and running a short length of etube wire to the transmitter inside the drops.

I'll admit to being mostly locked into an earlier world of cycling tech -- still a road tubular guy, mechanical shifting (but 11s) with a modern nod to hydro disc brakes. But reading the above felt like I had inadvertently flipped to a page in Popular Mechanics (is that even published any more? The reference probably dates me as well.)

Ok, back to our regular broadcast content about handlebar shape.... Luddite out.

edit: not always this way -- Saab and others who knew me back in the day knew I chased just about every new tech their was. I'm sure a few here remember Aerolite pedals, J-Disc wheels, Modolo Kronos brake levers, the original Scott tri bars (on a road bike...) some kind of tether from a waist belt to the handlebar, the mixing and matching of component groups to chase weight weenieish, sheesh... lots of dollars and fortunate not to have gotten seriously hurt from equipment failures!

Last edited by teleguy57; 03-25-2021 at 10:27 AM.