Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 03:25 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
have been riding an all-carbon Scattante that I nabbed on Craigslist for $300. It’s “fine”, but the drivetrain is tired, the hoods are melting, the tape is getting ratty... basically, I feel like I deserve better (ha!) and I’m not sure I like this bike enough to sink money into it.
Based on your original intent... get the LOOK.

I have had a LOOK 585 and currently rides a 2002 Merlin Agilis.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I guess I just don't see the utility of buying something like this if it comes with an old 1 inch carbon fork. You can get a more modern version of the same bike for more and while I really want a Ti bike, I just don't see the appeal of spending money for something that's so outdated in so many ways.

There are still some good 1inch forks available, like the columbus minimal but if I were buying that I'd have to spend a decent amount of money on some parts before feeling safe riding it. I have zero interest in riding a 90's carbon fork.
It cost him peanuts . Who cares if it has a 1" steer tube? He on the bike turning the crank, that's all that matters.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Based on your original intent... get the LOOK.

I have had a LOOK 585 and currently rides a 2002 Merlin Agilis.
Nice—the Agilis looks like a supremely comfy ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
It cost him peanuts . Who cares if it has a 1" steer tube? He on the bike turning the crank, that's all that matters.
The main point being that the heart of that Merlin—the frame—is beautiful, rather timeless and will always be roadworthy.

That said, I don’t have an abundance of nice parts at the moment, so what convinced me to walk away from it was my unwillingness to sink a bunch of extra money into building it up into something really sweet. (Being unsure of the fit was the other critical factor.)

By comparison, the 585 comes ready to ride and will instantly become the most highly-spec’ed bike I’ve ever ridden, based on the group and wheels alone. Whether that translates into something I actually enjoy is yet to be determined, but I’m pretty excited to find out. What I know is that the frame is my size, it’s got a full-length steerer tube for adjustability, and the only part I can see myself needing to potentially swap out is the stem (if the reach is too stretched out for me.)

The lugs also give it some classic appeal, which is meaningful to me. I like craftsmanship. My Litespeed Tuscany is hardly the top of the heap when it comes to Ti frames, but it does boast some pretty welds and plenty of signs it was produced by human hands. My most “soulful” ride is my ‘81 Colnago Mexico. It’s a sweet bike, an absolute noodle due to the 59cm frame being too large for its extra light Columbus Speciale tubing, but it’s absurdly beautiful and a joy to ride.

TLDR; if there’s any hope in hell of me ever bonding with a cf frame, it’s gonna need lugs on it.

So the Look checks some important boxes for me. Can’t wait to take it for a spin!

Last edited by johnnylarue; 01-25-2021 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
How does low cost negate not wanting to ride a carbon fork from the 90's? I've lost teeth on the bike before. Not planning on doing it again.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:07 AM

Quote:
How does low cost negate not wanting to ride a carbon fork from the 90's? I've lost teeth on the bike before. Not planning on doing it again.
No argument here—forks are ‘kinda sorta’ important, and those skinny ones from carbon’s earlier days don’t exactly instil a ton of confidence. Suffice to say, that’s one catastrophic failure I’m not eager to experience firsthand—sorry that happened to you, rtc!

I’ve only conquered my mistrust of carbon fibre in the last couple of years now that it’s become so ubiquitous, but I’d still approach something like that mid/late-90s Look fork with a certain amount of caution, especially not knowing anything about that Merlin’s history.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:56 PM

Conclusion

I bought the Look!

And... it’s amazing.

Thanks to everyone who helped me through this.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...48#post2873548
Old 01-31-2021, 08:04 PM

Good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylarue View Post
I bought the Look!

And... it’s amazing.

Thanks to everyone who helped me through this.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...48#post2873548
Old 01-31-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
And? You lost teeth, ok. Tell me more. How? Was it this bike? Did it happen on a MTB or CX bike? I've got bikes with 1" carbon steer tubes and they are fine, and I've gone OTB a number of times and done a lawn dart. It's a wide brush you paint with.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Good choice
Cheers, Mike!

Last edited by johnnylarue; 02-01-2021 at 06:25 PM.