Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 08:31 AM

I have an original Kickr that I used when recovering from knee replacement a few years ago. I used that with Zwift and some YouTube videos for rehab riding, but as soon as I could get outside the Kickr mostly went unused.

I am in a different environment now and I set up the Kickr in the basement with one of my road bikes and I have been using Zwift, RGT, and YouTube videos for less than an hour rides, mostly doing intervals. I found that I do not have the concentration for indoor cycling that is more than about an hour, so more intense workouts 4-5 times a week works best for me. I combine that with some body weight exercises, and walks/snowshoeing 5 or so days a week. I am hoping when I get back on the bike when weather allows I will have retained some fitness from winter.

I use the Kickr with AppleTv on a 40 some inch tv if I am using an app like Zwift. Otherwise I use the Wahoo app in ERG mode and watch YouTube on the smart tv. There are some ok indoor cycling videos on YouTube but the indoor spin class ones drive me nuts. I just use the Wahoo app to vary watts for my intervals.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:51 AM

BTW just as an fyi, and maybe it's not a big deal for you.
But you can do erg workouts within Zwift, Personally I like doing that even though I bought a Elemnt to use specifically for this purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
I have an original Kickr that I used when recovering from knee replacement a few years ago. I used that with Zwift and some YouTube videos for rehab riding, but as soon as I could get outside the Kickr mostly went unused.

I am in a different environment now and I set up the Kickr in the basement with one of my road bikes and I have been using Zwift, RGT, and YouTube videos for less than an hour rides, mostly doing intervals. I found that I do not have the concentration for indoor cycling that is more than about an hour, so more intense workouts 4-5 times a week works best for me. I combine that with some body weight exercises, and walks/snowshoeing 5 or so days a week. I am hoping when I get back on the bike when weather allows I will have retained some fitness from winter.

I use the Kickr with AppleTv on a 40 some inch tv if I am using an app like Zwift. Otherwise I use the Wahoo app in ERG mode and watch YouTube on the smart tv. There are some ok indoor cycling videos on YouTube but the indoor spin class ones drive me nuts. I just use the Wahoo app to vary watts for my intervals.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:41 AM

I don't see a mention as yet of the E-Motion smart roller setup. With a fork stand option, might be a decent hybrid option vs. Kickr? I also see that E-Motion has an E-Flex motion setup that's used with a Kickr -- seems pretty interesting to make trainer riding a bit more realistic and comfortable. Anyone using?

http://www.insideride.com/buy/emotion-h

http://www.insideride.com/buy/kickr-e-flex
Old 01-23-2021, 09:44 AM

I really like Zwift racing more than any other indoor cycling experience. I go crazy trying to watch movies, I can sometimes tolerate structured workouts, and I don't get any enjoyment from virtual group rides that aren't races. But the races keep me engaged and focused, and push me harder than I would otherwise be able to go.

With that in mind, I would recommend the Wahoo Kickr or similar trainer for the best virtual racing experience.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:27 PM

Haven't read every response, but I'm in the anti-video/netflix camp (if there is one. Might be here by myself). I lose focus watching something while trying to train, unless it is a video tied to the training session. Music, yes, but no to videos unless it's an easy/recovery day.
I use zwift, and usually in ERG mode. I think it allows me to get a much better workout than anything else I have tried (Sufferfest, PerfPro, a free week of TrainerRoad, Bkool). It is what you make it. You can just ride around chasing other people in their basements, or you can build workouts and the images at least change, riders fly by, and it gives you something to watch but your workout isn't dependent on the route you choose.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:00 PM

For me Zwift is great because there are so many things you can do. You can do, you can race, you can do group rides, use erg mode, badge hunt, get the tron bike, ride with the pacesetters, working on level up. And especially if you like numbers, it is heaven.
Also, the group aspect is great, there are a number of teams that ride together and use Discord to communicate. It has been great to connect with so many people during the last few months.
I used zwift since beta, but only got into it about 1 year ago and I have never been in better shape on the bike without really doing set workouts, just having some crazy fun goals.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
I am just not sure this is true (though I guess it does define how you interpret need), but I have a set of rollers (that I haven't used since I got my Kickr) but even in the biggest/hardest gear I couldn't get above Tempo/Zone 3, there is no way I could have done Threshold or Vo2 type of workouts on it.
Now granted perhaps some people aren't looking to do those type of efforts indoors, but if you are I don't see how it can be done on basic rollers.
When riding rollers I was always in the big ring and somewhere middle of the cogset...old fart here, no idea what 'zone 3' is. Riding rollers cuz too cold/wet/windy/snowy outside. Haven't ever done any rollers or outside for that matter, zone this/threshold/whatever, type workouts. If you are into numbers/zones/VO2, etc. rollers probably aren't for you.

toddtwenty-
Quote:
I carved out some space in our basement and am considering getting some cardio down there when I'd prefer not to head out, but I have no experience with riding indoors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BcHekNAfOo
Old 01-24-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Honestly, for pure simplicity, get yourself a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (the only fluid trainer guaranteed to not leak) quiet enough and offer plenty of resistance.

And since you seem unsure whether you're going to like indoor riding, consider buying your trainer from local craigslist. Trainers are for sale all the time.
+ a bazillion

So my schedule is similar to the OP. I'm quoting the above because the KK RM is all you need for Zwift, other than some Zwift computer specific stuff.

Indoor training

I rode for many, many, many years on the trainer prior to Zwift. I'd ride a trainer (rollers required too much attention, encouraged bad pedal form if using resistance, didn't offer enough resistance if not using resistance), watch bike or movie videos, and listen to music. I started to do more and more indoor riding, culminating in 2013 or so when I basically switched to all indoor training. I'd ride outside to get the feel for the bike, but I've long since learned the basics of riding/racing the bike so now I only ride 1-2x before I race and then a few times a year when it's too nice not to ride outside. Until pandemic I'd try and race May-Aug weekly, and I used to race March - Sept.

I ride late

Strava told me the most popular time I rode in 2020 - it was 9-10 pm. I generally work 7-7. Before I had this job (since late 2016) I generally rode later, but now I get up early (for me) so my 11pm-1 am start times are a thing of the past.

Zwift

I've been Zwifting since I could (early 2015, when they started supporting specific dumb/regular trainers) and prior to that I rode a LOT indoors. It was enough that the guy who cofounded Zwift called me up and asked how I motivated to ride indoors so much, why I rode indoors so much, and what I thought of the idea of gamefying indoor cycling. I was all for it. (I pay like a normal customer, no comps or discounts or anything).

Regular wheel on trainer

I started on a dumb trainer (CycleOps Fluid2 - I got 3 to leak over 20-odd years), still am on a dumb trainer. I currently have a pair of Kurt Kinetic Road Machine resistance units, one mounted to a recently-purchased KK Rock N Roll frame, one mounted to a CycleOps frame.

Bike powermeter

I always had an SRM powermeter so I wasn't ultra worried about Zwift accuracy. However, to prevent wheelslip at higher power, I had to significantly over tighten the roller tension, causing Zwift to undercalculate my power significantly. I eventually upgraded my SRMs to wireless so they'd talk directly to Zwift.

(To give you an idea of wheel slip shenanigans, I have the tension cranked as much as possible and I am finding I need to put 140 psi in the tire to prevent slippage - registered a much higher number when I put that in the other night. 120 psi and it slips at about 1200w. With the correct/recommended roller tension on the tire, it slips at about 1000w.)

Min money output

So minimum money output - KK Road Machine trainer (I bought mine pre-pandemic for $100 and $60 - both well used, both in perfect working order), Ant+ receiver and USB extension cable ($20?), Ant+ speed/cadence pickups (I buy them off Amazon for about $30), and a computer that can run Zwift. You can even start on your phone - when my computer (a very old one - Dell Optiplex 9010 from a local office upgrading computers, with a $90 geforce 2GB video card) had a hardware failure I used my phone to Zwift. Phone was tiny but doable.

On bike powermeter

If you get an on-bike powermeter, get one that is Ant+ or Bluetooth compatible - they can talk directly to Zwift. Mine are SRM wireless, they are fine. I like having the powermeter on the bike since I know when I'm outside that the power numbers directly correlate.

Removing bike from trainer

It takes about 1 min to remove the bike from the trainer. It takes about 1 min for the sheen to get rubbed off the tire when I ride outside. I use the same tires indoors and out. The toughest part is navigating 2 narrow hallways with u-turns, 2 stairways both with doors at the top. It takes longer to move the bike outside than to disconnect it.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:17 PM

I have rollers with some kind of magnetic resistance with 3 settings. Only use the hardest setting and control the effort with gear selection. I do 10 min warmup and 20 min all I've got. Don't have the problem mentioned above because I cannot sustain the highest gear for longer than a minute or two. If more resistance were needed, I think letting some air out of the tires would provide it, but I did not try this.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:24 PM

I've used rollers, mag and fluid trainers, a Wahoo KICKR (1st gen) and just got a Peloton. On the content/training side I've used Sufferfest, TrainerRoad, Zwift (briefly) and the Peloton platform.

As in all things, if consistent motivation is not an issue for you ANY of these can be good solutions. I'm a variably-motivated individual who has a pretty heavy work from home schedule - COVID has crushed my desire to get kitted up, get out on the bike and play in traffic for 2h (even getting to the dirt involves spending a fair amount of time on fairly busy roads) even though we have great weather to ride here in CA. (Probably not helped by the fact that we moved here mid-COVID and i lost all my training buddies.)

Getting the Peloton Bike+ (only a few weeks now, ordered back in Nov, i think) has actually been hugely helpful for me to get back into some decent structured training. Just the ease of getting on the bike, picking a class (almost all have been good so far), competing with people (and yourself) on leaderboards (less granular than Zwift, admittedly) and just having the whole package work seamlessly - I'd definitely say it's the best home-training experience I've had so far.

Again, this is all down to the individual - I have friends who can do 3h of TrainerRoad on rollers in their basement with a single flickering lightbulb and no other sensory input, and that's awesome but doesn't work for me.

JB
Old 03-01-2021, 01:02 PM

I started with rollers in the 80’s added a turbo to the mix and computrainer and smart trainer. An this pass fall bought a Wahoo Kickr bike. I use the indoor training as my gym work. I do an hour to a hour and a half. I use Zwift, Sufferfest and Rouvy. Mixing it up makes it fexiabke for what I feel like doing that day. Do to my wife’s health I can not get out on a ride everyday anymore. But I ride indoors early in the morning. An it’s been great to have the Kickr bike as Indont have to mess with bike issues of tire pressure and chain and all the fun bike issues each morning.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtwenty2 View Post
I am hopeful that everyone can provide some guidance on indoor riding.

Work and family is pretty consuming between the hours of 7am and 8pm these days, leaving me with riding time before 7am or after 8pm on weekdays. Frankly, I'm getting softer. I haven't felt like waking up at 5:30, and I haven't had much desire to bundle up and ride on ice/salt in the dark in 20 degree weather... I must be getting old.

I carved out some space in our basement and am considering getting some cardio down there when I'd prefer not to head out, but I have no experience with riding indoors. So far, my decision is between the following:

1) Some basic rollers (Kreitler, maybe?). These seem like they would do the job, though it sounds pretty bland to sit in the basement on a set of rollers. There is a good chance that I'd just suit up and get outside after the first 10 minutes... maybe this is actually a good idea.

2) Wahoo Kickr + Zwift. This seems more engaging, but I don't like the idea of needing to dedicate a bike to it or switch a bike back and forth vs a roller setup.

3) Rollers + Zwift? I have heard nice things about TruTrainers, though they are relatively pricey compared to something like a used Kreitler setup.

4) Peloton. One of my co-workers loves it, but this is clearly the most pricey option. It does afford training outside of biking, which could be useful.

Does anyone have a setup that they particularly enjoy for indoor training? My wife has been getting into watching the Great British Baking show and I need more exercise to stay at a proper equilibrium within a house filled with breads and cookies.
Go with the Kicker. If not Zwift, there are other options such as Trainer Road. Rollers are great if you have a trainer too. There will be times when you want to go long or do hard intervals and you just don’t want to deal with rollers. IMO, rollers are great for up to 45 minutes of spinning. Going longer drove me nuts. I can get on my trainer and just ride, and not worry about riding off my rollers when my attention wanders, or I get distracted, etc.

Zwift has been great during the pandemic. My club does regular structured interval workouts on Zwift in private “meet-ups” with grouping on so everyone stays together irrespective of effort or FTP. It also does regular rides. We communicate via Discord. It really helps the mental health, as I’m either locked alone in my office all day, or locked in my home with my wife and dogs when not in my office, and it has become a social outlet that I look forward to.

BTW, I still use my 20 year-old Computrainer. I’ve owned Kreitler rollers forever until I just wasn’t using them and sold them a couple years back. I tried a set of Elite E-rollers that worked with Zwift, but ended up selling them after a couple of weeks. My CT and my wife’s CT are both ready for replacement, and I’m leaning towards Kickers, mainly because I can add the Climb contraption if I want.

Last edited by djg21; 03-01-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:01 PM

I started using zwift in January and have ridden close to 600km so far - the moots has actually seen more mileage on my trainer this year than all mileage it saw last year.

My set up is a 20 year old dumb trainer (minoura mag turbo), a stages single arm power meter and a wahoo tickr heart rate monitor. Set up is really easy and quick and mostly works all the time (my HRM seems to drop or not connect all the time). I got a pass from my wife to allow me to leave my bike in the dining room vs putting it away on the basement, that really speeds things up.

What I have discovered is I like zwift's workouts better than just riding around or trying to finish routes. My favourite work outs so far are Jon's Short and Log and Emily's short. They have a good amount of sprints, intervals and recoveries. it is also fun to try and complete the workout perfectly.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:23 PM

Not sure if you guys already know about this because it isn't obvious when yu log into Zwift, but there are all kind of group rides on Zwift from just regular group rides, to structured workouts lead by coaches and all kinds of things, yesterday for example I did a 100k group ride, makes the time go by fast as you are riding with other people and chatting etc..
After the group ride was over I ride some more by myself, ended up with 73 miles on the day, there is no way I would have ever gotten through that distance with movies etc...