Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 01-19-2021, 03:13 PM

S&S travel/gravel OG Psychlo X

I sold a couple of bikes a few weeks ago and was doing my usual browsing for titanium bikes. There was a Seven road frame that was posted in the PSA/Good deals thread which brought me over to eBay where I spotted a couple of possible bikes in an IF titanium cx and a Moots Psychlo X with S&S couplers that looked like an early Routt. I added the bikes to my watch list as they started out with reasonable auction pricing. I ended winning the Moots auction.

The bike arrived today. It is definitely in need of some overhauling as it has traveled and lived on the west coast which ended up oxidizing all of the bolt on the bike as well as the spoke nipples. I already replaced the seatpost with a Ti and Handsome. I have bars, stem, saddle, framebag and bar wrap inbound.

It is a 2008 with custom geometry that reminds me of the original Routt I owned a few year back. It only has clearance for 33-34mm tires and a more upright position. It came with Dura Ace 7700 components, Thomson seatpost + stem, White Industries 44/28 crankset, Paul mini v’s and Dt Swiss wheels laced to Dt 240s radial hubs. I was going to swap some of the drivetrain out, but may hold off. The components aren’t pretty, but function well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2021, 09:42 AM

Took this out for a shakedown yesterday and it rides very similar to the Routt I had a few years back. It has rear rack mounts and seems like a well thought out travel bike. Capable and versatile. It rides over the ice and light snow without issue and the handling seems pretty neutral. I had a 53cm stock Psychlo x a few years ago and it was definitely quicker handling and a bit racier than this one.

I am shortening the stem to a 110 and with the setback seat post the fit should be pretty comfortable for long hauls and canalway path riding with the kids. I may end up having the frameset blasted and put some new decals on in the future, but will have to see how we get along over the next few months.

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 01-20-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:32 AM
Administrator

That's nice adam, good score!

Pretty good workhorse build on there, including the WI crank and Paul brakes. i think you'll enjoy this one!
Old 01-20-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
That's nice adam, good score!

Pretty good workhorse build on there, including the WI crank and Paul brakes. i think you'll enjoy this one!
Thanks Nick! I have some different tires, bars and stem coming for it this week. Likely going to change the housing and then ride it. Should be a good all arounder for up this way.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:34 AM

Unbelievable how small a space this can be packed into. I’ve always wanted to try one (i.e. Psychlo-X) and appreciate your feedback. So far, the improvements/upgrades look good! Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:41 PM

Wow! I've never seen a bike be packed into such a small case. Kudos
Old 01-20-2021, 03:30 PM

Very cool ride. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:49 PM

S&S travel/gravel OG Psychlo X

I finished this one up for the time being today. I put the chain and cassette through the ultra sonic cleaner added new cables and housing, new Fizik bar tape, Paul Boxcar stem, Ti and handsome seatpost, King Iris cages, Apidura framebag, 34mm WTB Exposure tires, 3t ergoterra stealth bars and a Brooks Team Pro titanium saddle. Not sure if I am going to keep the Brooks on or swap it out for the Berthoud Galibier. We shall see how my rear gets along with the Brooks I guess?

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 01-23-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:47 AM

It was only about 8 degrees when I started and 16 degrees when I finished up, but it was nice to get outside in the sun and ride! My phone froze, so photos were not happening after this one

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 02-03-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:45 PM

Way to go Adam. Your bikes never disappoint.
I want to hear your opinion on the Team Pro versus the Berthoud. Team Pro is my absolute go-to saddle for comfort and long distance riding but I’m going to try a Berthoud soon.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Way to go Adam. Your bikes never disappoint.
I want to hear your opinion on the Team Pro versus the Berthoud. Team Pro is my absolute go-to saddle for comfort and long distance riding but I’m going to try a Berthoud soon.

My butt gets along with the Team Pro pretty good and this bike is a little more upright than my others, so it suits the build. The Berthoud Galibier/Soulor is a bit higher quality with thicker leather and has a little racier cut. I have one on each of my other bikes and it is my favorite saddle.

I have been experimenting with some other saddles, but my favorite is still Berthoud.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:51 AM

This is officially my winter bike
. I decided to get some black Moots decals and remove the ratty ones that were on it. I screwed up on the drive side down tube a little and have some creasing, but managed to get the rest on without any other issues.

I plan on having the fork painted and would like to refinish the frame myself. I like this bike a lot. It is versatile and fun to ride. The parts it came with function well, but are beat up enough that I have no reservations riding it on the crappy NY roads in the Winter.

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 02-03-2021 at 11:45 AM.