Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2021, 04:28 PM

Two Months on Zwift

... and I'm super into it. Being born and raised in SF, Midwest winters nearly killed me. I am really enjoying the big Z. Sure it's kind of arcadey but it's got me riding a lot.

As someone who never road-raced, learning the strategy of the pack and the draft, and getting to observe all of the things that happen in racing from the safety of my stationary bike, it's super fun.

If you're thinking about it, do it. Sure it's money but it's money spent on your health and hobby, and it's better than buying a bunch of dopey winter gear or a fat bike or whatever other thing supports the fiction of riding in winter. 190 miles and 13,000 feet to date in January is rad, because without zwift those numbers would all be zeros.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:00 PM

Riding fat bikes in winter is not fiction.

Zwift may be cool and all, but don't ridicule the real thing. I'm liking my dopey winter gear and riding my fat bike here in Maine just fine.

Personally, I need most of the winter gear anyway...because Maine.

And there's still snowshoeing, skiing, and of course shoveling snow for exercise.

Yeah, you have a point: Zwift could be another option for cyclists in winter. But getting outside is still a wonderful thing - especially these days...
Old 01-15-2021, 05:20 PM

I can't take the cold anymore so Zwift has been great for me too. I agree! But it's NOTHING like racing and I don't think you can really learn anything about racing on Zwift. Except to say that the races them selves are truly kick arse and you will get a good workout. It's true there can be breaks and chases and so on but there are digital tricks to Zwift racing which are not real, the drafting only kind of sort of works, the climbing doesn't really represent gravity and so on.

And you can't give your competitor 'the look.'

But it's great! I'd have nothing but zeros this winter too without it.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:24 PM

I just went over 2000 total Zwift miles. Is it great? No. Is it better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick? Yup.

Where I live, suburban Chicago, the riding is mediocre to begin with but tolerable in summer. Zwift allows me to get a decent workout in in my basement with no slick roads or ice or early darkness, etc. Also, the monotony of the same routes gets real old.

I like the organized rides, though they're a bit bizarre, with flyers off the front and the ride leader often behind most of the riders to try to keep at the advertised tempo.

For me it's a godsend.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I just went over 2000 total Zwift miles. Is it great? No. Is it better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick? Yup.

Where I live, suburban Chicago, the riding is mediocre to begin with but tolerable in summer. Zwift allows me to get a decent workout in in my basement with no slick roads or ice or early darkness, etc. Also, the monotony of the same routes gets real old.

I like the organized rides, though they're a bit bizarre, with flyers off the front and the ride leader often behind most of the riders to try to keep at the advertised tempo.

For me it's a godsend.
Hello fellow Chicagoan!

I still prefer to go outside if I have time and weather permits despite the *mediocre* Chicago routes...

These days I've been just doing workouts (I use today's plan) on Zwift and I found that there really is no need for Zwift. Indoor riding def saves time.

I haven't really tried racing (in real life or zwift) but I've enjoyed group workouts in the past (more than group rides). Nice to know others are suffering with you at the same time! I've also benefited from Zwifts training plan.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2021, 05:41 PM

I ride Zwift, Rouvy and Sufferfest. I rotate between them.
Zwift for group rides with by local bike club members 4 times a week.
Rouvy for those “outdoor” rides. An Sufferfest for a real work out.
My wife has health issues so this is part of my regular bike riding year around.
I am a ride captain for my club. But with Covid we have not been able to have real group rides.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:53 PM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbek View Post
... and I'm super into it. Being born and raised in SF, Midwest winters nearly killed me. I am really enjoying the big Z. Sure it's kind of arcadey but it's got me riding a lot.

I enjoy the Big Z too, but wish he stayed in Boston with the Bruins . But really I think Zwift is great for the winter and those days in summer when air quality sucks. Been riding the Tour de Zwift with friends and having a blast.
I also use Trainer road for my more structured rides and will watch TV while I do those.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
I enjoy the Big Z too, but wish he stayed in Boston with the Bruins .
It was so weird to see him in a jersey that wasn't black and gold!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-16-2021, 07:18 AM

I hate the turbo trainer. I can pretty much manage 1.5 hours before the saddle becomes a torture instrument. I watch YouTube so I'm occupied at least.

Have you guys noticed Zwift making it more tolerable than just watching TV?
Old 01-16-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlockyer View Post
I hate the turbo trainer. I can pretty much manage 1.5 hours before the saddle becomes a torture instrument. I watch YouTube so I'm occupied at least.

Zwift does make it more tolerable. Although at first I could only tolerate 30 minute rides then I made it 45 minutes then one day I did 1 hour and then I lost interest with it and moved onto another online ride (rouvy).

Longest still though is only 27miles so far. I have youtube tv on a tablet mounted to my bike and rouvy playing on the big screen tv and then stereo on also.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:55 AM

Zwift works for me if I keep the rides between 30-60 minutes.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:29 AM

I really tried Zwift, Rouvy, and RGT for the past month on the smart trainer. I could not get into any of them. I also found that little niggles from past injuries are magnified on the trainer for some reason?! I will keep on the rollers though.

I invested in some winter gear and I've been going out a lot and finding it not too bad. I live in No. VA where winters are mild (and getting milder). Going out at 35-40 isn't that hard and it has been motivating. I am sure I'm not training as well as I could indoors but it is getting fun.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:35 AM

I have done some 60-70 miles rides on Zwift, so there is that.
These were always with organized group rides, so riding with other people and chatting the whole time is (for me at least), light years better then the old days of watching Tv and trying to get some time in on the turbo.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:52 AM

I've not tried chatting. I normally listen to podcasts. Does chatting, if you're 'riding' with buddies, make it better?
Old 01-16-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlockyer View Post

same here, and yes! you do have to change your mindset, and dont view zwift necessarily as a workout. conversely, dont expect it to be like riding outside either. it's something in between...and helps with motivation and mental freshness.

keep your structured turbo trainer workouts for when you want quality condition development inside. use zwift when you want to mix things up so that riding inside doesnt get totally stale -- it helps keep things fresh.

Last edited by wallymann; 01-16-2021 at 11:54 AM.