Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2024, 12:57 PM

OT: Do you ride SIDI Vortice Motorcycle boots?

The wife and I love thrifting. This past weekend we were in one of our favorite haunts when the name Sidi jumped out at me from a jumble of shoes and boots. Grabbed 'em, paid the $10, got in the car to research a bit.

They are Sidi Vortice Motorcycle boots. One of the straps is broken, but otherwise they are in OK shape. I do not have a motorcycle, but can appreciate that you might, and as with their shoes, the replacement buckles and soles etc can be expensive. If you have a pair of these boots and would to harvest any of the parts, I only ask that you cover shipping.

Old 08-12-2024, 01:04 PM
Administrator

A very nice gesture, but to me, the better happy ending to this tale is if you go buy a motorcycle to go with the boots
Old 08-12-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
A very nice gesture, but to me, the better happy ending to this tale is if you go buy a motorcycle to go with the boots
I said the exact same thing to my wife. Even a Vespa, honey!

No dice.
Old 08-12-2024, 02:44 PM

I have Vortices but they fit narrow, and never really broke in.

If anyone wants some lightly used Rex or new Mag-1's in 41, hit me up!
Old 08-12-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Oof! Talk about a slippery slope!
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 08-12-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Tangentially related story of motorcycle acquisition:
A few years back my wife says to me, "Do you want to get motorcycle licenses? Some of my friends from work are taking the class."
I say sure, so we buy helmets, and take the class.
Based on this, I assumed that she wanted us to get motorcycles. It happened that a friend of mine was selling his Moto Guzzi. He's about my wife's size and weight, so I asked her if she wanted to look at it. We go, she sits on it, and says, yes, she'll buy it.
Lucky me, I have another friend, about my size, who is also selling a motorcycle, I buy his motorcycle.
Once all this is done, and the bikes are registered and insured, my wife asks me, "Did you really want a motorcycle? I didn't, I just wanted to get the license."

Chris

PS, neither of ride Sidi moto boots.
Old 08-12-2024, 06:03 PM
what's a little rust?

^^^ that’s a good story. I have a hunch that the “lucky” second motorcycle for sale was in your plan the whole time …
Old 08-12-2024, 06:30 PM

I had a pair of Sidi boots and they were great. Hopefully those will also find a home.
Old 08-12-2024, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
^^^ that’s a good story. I have a hunch that the “lucky” second motorcycle for sale was in your plan the whole time …
I didn't go into it with a plan to get the second bike, but I did know about the bike I bought before I knew about the one my wife got.

I did end up riding much more than she does. But I wouldn't have gotten my bike if she hadn't suggested the class, and I hadn't thought that she wanted a bike.
Old 08-13-2024, 06:06 AM

Do have two motorcycles, a Harley and a BMW. Wear Clark boots provided it’s not hot as heck plus very humid where I live too. I do wear a full face hemet on the BMW and a half, German style helmet on the Harley. Very low traffic and not many motorcycle accidents. Plus on the BMW F800GS it’s mostly road with an occasional gravel road tossed in. I’ve been down a few times in my 54 years of motorcycling and interesting enough every time involved having a couple of beers. When I ride now never touch alcohol, don’t do much of it now anyway since being older it hits me hard. I went from a social drinker to a cheap date.
Old 08-13-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
I had a pair of Sidi boots and they were great. Hopefully those will also find a home.
Incidentally these are a size 46, although I don't think it matters for the hardware.
Old 08-13-2024, 10:17 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
This.

If you can ride in a pack, you can ride with cars. Same skillset.

Those boots are nice. I've got some Alpinestars Effex boots that I need to replace. Likely to go Sidi Adventure boots

M
Old 08-14-2024, 09:16 AM

I never had these boots when I was riding but had some other ones with some (but less) internal protection that tried to be a little less loud.

But boots like this can really make a huge difference in a crash.

My brother was still riding as of a couple years ago, did NOT put his moto boots on, and got T-boned by a car running a red light.

He almost had his lower leg cut clean off by the car smashing his leg into the motorcycle. (Cruiser style bike, he has cruiser + sportbike)

The protection in these boots can make a serious difference in an accident like that.

He will never ride again and is still walking with a cane two years later after many surgeries. He was in the ICU for a month, got super lucky they didn't amputate his lower leg, etc.. The insurance put a lien on him even though it was 100% not his fault and the driver lost her license. But she can't pay the bills. The AG is suing to get the lien transferred from him to her.

Never said anything to him but if he had been ATGATT (All the gear all the time) I really think boots like these would have helped a lot.