Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 07:04 PM

Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Smart phones have transformed life in my line of work. I cringe at the price but pay it all the time.

FaceTime audio and video? In-car, accurate navigation? Make schedule modifications? Connect to my car? Etc.....

Not for everyone and definitely not for all places and times (turn it off in restaurants, places of sanctity and ceremony, and in the homes of other people, for example) but I can’t imagine life without one now.
I kept my old phone for six years and got many a laugh about it. I would still have it but the screen had spots, it was getting slower and buggy.

That phone was essential for work as I have to relate real time data, pictures and video across several disciplines.

I bought a new Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (just before the Note 9 dropped) and love it. I can do things faster, capture, manipulate, edit and share so much quicker and in better detail than before. I actually wished I had bought one sooner.

And the note feature is no gimmick for me, I use it regularly, no more wads of disjointed paper notes, all of my written entries are just as quick to do and more neatly categorized now.

On a finance news show today a commentator said that if you average out the weekly cost of a device that performs so many work and home functions it's relatively not that much. Their example was $900 over three years, $300 a year, that's $25 a month and $6.25 a week.

I got my phone on sale and if I keep it six years like I did my old phone it will only cost me $116 a year, $9.72 a month and $2.41 a week, Ha! Well worth it IMO.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:14 PM

it´s expensive because of the huge memory. Not everyone needs it ... but for some it will be an invaluable tool: think recording live news in extraordinary situations or video evidence for legal matters. The you tube market. I can think of a number of situations where a smart phone w/ a quality camera/sound recording plus huge memory would be a unique and powerfull professional tool.
Actually that price is a bargain considering the possibilities.

Last edited by colker; 09-12-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Geeez all this emotion about stuff and toys. Rapha, Apple, Various bike this or that. Stuff, if ya like it and can afford it, buy it, use it. If ya don’t, why then don’t buy it. ‘....last smart phone on earth’, such emotion about a.....phone...

But it's not just a case of " if ya like it and can afford it, buy it, use it." It's the endless marketing to get people to upgrade every year for some perceived benefits. Never mind the old phones that end up in landfill simply because people have to have the latest and greatest because they've managed to convince themselves that they can't live without some "feature".

That's what really p****s me off about Apple.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:37 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

/landfill

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

In 2018, Apple reached a major milestone: 100 percent of the electricity they use at all of their facilities comes from renewable sources.

Full report here:

https://www.apple.com/environment/pd...eport_2018.pdf

/next

Last edited by kppolich; 09-12-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
No one needs a 512gb iPhone, I don’t care what you say lol
It was a really crappy move when they got rid of the 128GB option. 64GB is just too small for most people and overkill for most. $$$$$$
Old 09-12-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Let's say you buy the iPhone for $1,000 and use it for 2 years. That comes out to $1.37 a day and that is for the iPhone Ten S

Is it worth $1.37 a day to have a device that recognizes you by your face, takes better pictures than your high school photographer ever could, records 4k video, accesses the internet from the bathroom, holds all your music, and lets you call 911 when you crash your car or bike?

If $1.37 is NOT that worth that to you please pick your knuckles up off the ground when you walk and join the rest of us. Or don't buy it or a similar device and stop complaining about a device developed by someone smarter than you and marketed by someone with more data than you and knows what others want more than Santa Clause himself.

If it is worth that to you, keep feeding the economy and buy it.
Not when the same thing can be had for $.85
Old 09-12-2018, 08:19 PM

I'll be looking for a model 8.. sorry apple... I'd rather spend my money on bikes
Old 09-12-2018, 08:22 PM

hmmm, I just 'upgraded' from a 5 to a 6S for 2 bills.

as far as my needs go, I'm on the cutting edge of phone tech.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
But it's not just a case of " if ya like it and can afford it, buy it, use it." It's the endless marketing to get people to upgrade every year for some perceived benefits. Never mind the old phones that end up in landfill simply because people have to have the latest and greatest because they've managed to convince themselves that they can't live without some "feature".

That's what really p****s me off about Apple.
doesn't piss me off... I don't really pay attention to it, they can market whatever they want, I buy a phone ever 3 years and that is that...
Old 09-12-2018, 09:10 PM

Is this tariffs included pricing?
Old 09-12-2018, 09:14 PM
UN-Registered User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Nobody in their right mind is going to pay that much for a phone, imho. The iPhone 7 is expensive, but its a lot cheaper than the X series. Its all about fashion though, and we already know about the insatiable buying habits of fashion conscious Americans. Fashion is what Apple is banking on.

Insatiable buying habits maybe... but by world standards Americans dress like slobs! Lol
Old 09-12-2018, 09:29 PM

I went to the apple store last week to replace my battery under their replacement program...everything had been working fine but I was hoping to extend the life of the phone. Phone died while they were working on it so they gave me a new one. I am ok with the iPhone 7...hope it lasts for 5 more years.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:31 PM

This completely ignores the time value of money and depreciation. I once tried to use the same logic to rationalize a new set of carbon wheels with my wife. “But honey isn’t 22 cents an hour worth my happiness?” She laughed and told me to go away.

But hey... why not break that iPhone XS cost down even further. 6 cents an hour! screaming deal. Or that Ferrari GTB I’ve been wanting is only going to cost me $5.70 an hour if I use it for 5 years. No brainer!

I guess I’ll drag my knuckles on outta here hiding my head in shame with the archaic iPhone 7 I still have ;-)

Quote:
Let's say you buy the iPhone for $1,000 and use it for 2 years. That comes out to $1.37 a day and that is for the iPhone Ten S

Is it worth $1.37 a day to have a device that recognizes you by your face, takes better pictures than your high school photographer ever could, records 4k video, accesses the internet from the bathroom, holds all your music, and lets you call 911 when you crash your car or bike?

If $1.37 is NOT that worth that to you please pick your knuckles up off the ground when you walk and join the rest of us. Or don't buy it or a similar device and stop complaining about a device developed by someone smarter than you and marketed by someone with more data than you and knows what others want more than Santa Clause himself.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:

i like the part where i get to be smart and EVOLVED by buying a product

Last edited by Macadamia; 09-12-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:52 PM

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
This completely ignores the time value of money and depreciation. I once tried to use the same logic to rationalize a new set of carbon wheels with my wife. “But honey isn’t 22 cents an hour worth my happiness?” She laughed and told me to go away.

But hey... why not break that iPhone XS cost down even further. 6 cents an hour! screaming deal. Or that Ferrari GTB I’ve been wanting is only going to cost me $5.70 an hour if I use it for 5 years. No brainer!

I guess I’ll drag my knuckles on outta here hiding my head in shame with the archaic iPhone 7 I still have ;-)
You can evaluate cost over time for any object bought, the value in it is up to the individual.

As far as the wheels go you should have proposed and dare I say lied and said that they would make you X times faster and therefore you would get home sooner to help around the house.

You gotta learn to sell it man!