Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2024, 07:02 PM

Converting trispokes to track wheels?

Does anyone know if these can be converted to rear track wheels with 120 mm spacing? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2024, 07:17 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

buddy of mine used to race a pair of them on the track, so yeah some of them are convertible

I suspect that his were FW wheels or two front wheels with different axles.

I doubt that cassette hubs are convertible

M
Old 04-09-2024, 08:26 PM

Cassette hub is convertible if it has threads for cog and lockring on the side opposite the FH body. Some were, some weren’t.

If your hub has the threads and you cannot find an axle kit, pm me as I’ve made quite a few for various discs and folks in the same situation. I usually make a full kit that will have solid CroMo axle, ACB’s, adjustable preload, and proper track nuts.

Re: front. Most folks are happy to just use a non-qr skewer. If you prefer a full solid axle with ACB’s, and proper track nuts, let me know as this too is quite easy to make.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:58 PM

If those took a shimano freehub body than you could use that weird problem solvers (sub 11?) thing that converted shimano cassette hubs to fixed gear. If you could find one anyways

can be seen here -
https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html
https://surlybikes.com/blog/the_fixx..._live_the_king
Old 04-10-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronf View Post
Cassette hub is convertible if it has threads for cog and lockring on the side opposite the FH body. Some were, some weren’t.

If your hub has the threads and you cannot find an axle kit, pm me as I’ve made quite a few for various discs and folks in the same situation. I usually make a full kit that will have solid CroMo axle, ACB’s, adjustable preload, and proper track nuts.

Re: front. Most folks are happy to just use a non-qr skewer. If you prefer a full solid axle with ACB’s, and proper track nuts, let me know as this too is quite easy to make.
This. If it wasn't made for track use, no dice. The sub 11 thing won't do you any good as track bikes aren't 130mm.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:07 PM

The original Trispoke freehubs used Dura Ace freehub bodies. They DA freehubs have this weird spiral thread thing. It is NOT the Ultegra/105 body that the fixed gear conversion kit was designed for. They canNOT be converted to fixed gear using standard kits.

(ask me how I know. I have the kit and I have the freehub body wheel, as well as a couple non freehub body wheels)

On the wheels I have, for the freewheel side, I do not see a reverse threaded bit. In fact, I have never seen a reverse lockring threaded TriSpoke. I'm not saying they don't exist, I just haven't seen one. The wheels I've seen, people have put a BB lockring on and no one said boo. But they are not proper reverse threaded lockings.

I used to sell the original non-woven looking Trispoke, then the woven "what we think of when we think of what carbon fiber should look like" wheels. I was not in the biz when HED bought the wheel rights from Specialized.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:05 AM

Long out of production, but what you would have been looking for 10+ years ago is the Surly Fixxer, literally meant to make the conversion you have in mind for Shimano freehub bodies at the time.

https://surlybikes.com/blog/the_fixx..._live_the_king

I've seen one or two companies over the years producing something similar, but it's been a minute since I've seen one turn up again.

Last edited by mjf; 04-12-2024 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-14-2024, 03:01 PM

That's what I have, the Surly Fixxer, I might have opened the package but I'm not sure. That's for an Ultegra/105 freehub body, not the DA freehub body. The Specialized TriSpokes used the DA freehub body with the weird spiral bolt thing.

I think, but I'm not certain, that at some point HED used the Ultegra/105 freehub body. If they did then the Surly Fixxer would work.

DA freehub body in my Trispoke (picture from Euro Asia Imports):

The kind the Surly is designed to replace:

Ultegra freehub body that is NOT in the Specialized TriSpoke (doesn't have that weird spiral thread bolt the DA has):