Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 02:49 PM

Does a “classic” steel frame bike with a steel fork require lugs?

I have slot left in the stable. It will be a classic steel frame bike with a steel fork. I know many of you here insist that there’s no ride like a steel bike with a matching fork, so I’m eager to see for myself. The only issue is lugs. I’m assuming for many that’s a no-brainer: the answer is yes.

I’ve also seen quite a few steel frame and fork combinations that look quite elegant without lugs, such as the Breadwinner Continental.

Thoughts?
Old 01-21-2021, 02:52 PM

To me, classic = lugs, modern = tig. Sure, there's more to it, like a level top tube, but let's call a spade a spade here and keep it simple.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:54 PM

it's a matter of taste, but i think fillet brazed frames can look as nice, or better than a lug'd frame. tig'd frames can be nice too, but there is not the same aesthetic level of "finishing".

in short - look at a bunch of frames and decide which you like best, who cares what the rest of us think right? we're not paying for it, you are
Old 01-21-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I have slot left in the stable. It will be a classic steel frame bike with a steel fork. I know many of you here insist that there’s no ride like a steel bike with a matching fork, so I’m eager to see for myself. The only issue is lugs. I’m assuming for many that’s a no-brainer: the answer is yes.

I’ve also seen quite a few steel frame and fork combinations that look quite elegant without lugs, such as the Breadwinner Continental.

Thoughts?
I would guess this depends on how one defines “classic.” Lugs are just one way of connecting tubes. There are others means to connect the same tubes. It seems many considered “classic” to be level top tube, quill stem, and HT/ST angles that are close to the same. I personally love lugs. Others don’t. Lugs do limit the amount of play a builder has in angles. Limited to what the lugset will allow. Of course I am sure custom lugs can be made.

That’s my $.02.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:59 PM

Nope! Fillet brazed frames are great. Welded steel frames can be great.

I do still have trouble with unicrown forks, though.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:00 PM

Fillets out of necessity or for aesthetics. Otherwise lugs, expertly done.

One of the best values out there right now in the new and custom market is a lugged Ellis Strada SLX. Dave's craftsmanship is excellent and you get some nice custom touches with it..

Of course Kirk. Hampsten. And a small handful of others will do an excellent job for you as well. DeSalvo. Rex. Kvale. DiNucci.

But you own it to yourself to do something with a real steel fork at least once in your riding life. They are......a revelation..

You are normal enough in your fit parameters that finding something used shouldn't be that hard.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:03 PM

See this thread for pics of classic steel fillet-brazed frames: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=36649.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:09 PM

The fork for sure has to be (unless it's a Stelbel!). Plenty of really nice builders will weld a frame and lug a fork. And some will use lugs in some places like the seat tube junction and the dropouts and weld everything else. Lugs add a considerable amount of weight over welding- probably over a half pound across a frame, and can be limiting to frame design for better or for worse.

I suppose I'd consider something like a Gunnar or Cielo classic, but wouldn't blame anyone for disagreeing. I also think a threadless fork is fine, as long as it has a lugged fork, external routing, and normal-ish tube diameters.

On the other hand, my Dreesens is lugged with a lugged fork, but being di2 only and with the tube diameters it has, I'm not sure I'd call it classic. Maybe to some.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:13 PM
Deconditioned!

Nope. As has been said, lugs are simply one way to join tubes.

It matters only if it matters to one for aesthetics. Else, do what you want.

My pref, as if it matters, is fillet brazed for smoooooothness.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:14 PM

Also, there's a beautiful lugged MeiVici in your size on FB. NOS. Gorgeous paint. And I think relatively local to you..

I almost bought it when in my "I ride small bikes" phase last year.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
it's a matter of taste, but i think fillet brazed frames can look as nice, or better than a lug'd frame. tig'd frames can be nice too, but there is not the same aesthetic level of "finishing".

in short - look at a bunch of frames and decide which you like best, who cares what the rest of us think right? we're not paying for it, you are
I actually do care. Most of the time anyway 😘
Old 01-21-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Fillets out of necessity or for aesthetics. Otherwise lugs, expertly done.

One of the best values out there right now in the new and custom market is a lugged Ellis Strada SLX. Dave's craftsmanship is excellent and you get some nice custom touches with it..

Of course Kirk. Hampsten. And a small handful of others will do an excellent job for you as well. DeSalvo. Rex. Kvale. DiNucci.

But you own it to yourself to do something with a real steel fork at least once in your riding life. They are......a revelation..

You are normal enough in your fit parameters that finding something used shouldn't be that hard.
Gotta say that all of your rhapsodizing was the impetus for my upcoming bike. Bill coming your way ...😁
Old 01-21-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Gotta say that all of your rhapsodizing was the impetus for my upcoming bike. Bill coming your way ...
I feel the same way. Both you and Angry. I've had quite a few steel forks (7?), but never on a road bike. I thought I was done with them, but I'm trying one more time with the Dreesens before I call it off.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:39 PM

Lugged fork for sure. But fillets are just as classic
Old 01-21-2021, 03:50 PM

Stelbels have been Tiged for ages and are extremely classic. One of the nicest forks too in my opinion. Lots of nice details can be added elsewhere other than the lugs.
I have an Igleheart with skinny steel tubes and a 1" steerer with a real cute segmented fork that could easily be mistaken for a vintage bike at a distance.
Tiged makes for a slightly lighter frame too.
But as said above, unicrown forks are ugly on almost every bike.